Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kevin McCarthy accidentally said what the Benghazi investigations have been about.

quote:

What you’re going to see is a conservative speaker, that takes a conservative Congress, that puts a strategy to fight and win. And let me give you one example. Everybody thought Hillary Clinton was unbeatable, right?

But we put together a Benghazi special committee. A select committee. What are her numbers today? Her numbers are dropping. Why? Because she’s untrustable. But no one would have known that any of that had happened had we not fought to make that happen.

You're mad now but you're going to be even madder when you see that this bald faced omission will change nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Biden has announced he will not be participating in the Dem debate. Apparently it is news that a guy not running for president won't be in the presidential debate

Until he gives his Shermanesque statement, he's assumed to be running. How else is the media going to horse race it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RaySmuckles posted:

He beat Obama's individual donation record

In fastest time to 1 million donors, not total money. Hillary is smoking him in total money. And guess what matters more, number of donors or number of dollar bills.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RaySmuckles posted:

I though number of votes mattered most.

Awww :kiddo:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

Her campaign is also much more expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if Sanders actually had more cash on hand at the moment. Clinton spend a lot of time at lavish fundraisers, any event she goes to with a large expensive entourage, just the nature of old school retail politics, while Sanders is flying commercial with minimal staff, not doing expensive events, etc.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RaySmuckles posted:

http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/10/01/444951689/bernie-sanders-raises-26-million-in-third-quarter-nearly-as-much-as-clinton

Here's an article that says your graph is wrong and he's raised 26 million in the 3rd quarter alone. How is it your graph only has him down at ~16mil

It's not my graph and probably because it hasn't been updated. Add $26 million to his graph and add $28 million to the HIllary bar I guess.

Whats up with all the Bernie hasbara in this thread all of a sudden.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RaySmuckles posted:

So you posted a misleading graph. Why don't you edit your post and delete it?

How 'bout no.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

That's it out of date. Sanders has announced its current cash on hand is 25 million, the Clinton campaign hasn't disclosed that at the moment.

The real money is all in the super PACs of course so Clinton in reality has much more than that.

Yeah, really my whole point is that while it's impressive that Bernie hit a million small donors, Bernie zombies are way over inflating the importance of that fact. I mean, he only beat Obama's 2012 million donor date by a week, and it's not like there was a massive grass roots outpouring of excitement for that campaign.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RaySmuckles posted:

Oh right, I'm the bad guy because I casually posted something positive about Bernie in the US politics thread and called someone out for posting misleading information. The chase out has been acknowledged. Dissenting opinions in this thread beware. Glad it only took until page 2.

No it's because every day some guy who just heard about politics this very day and is like "wow this Bernie guy sure is something" comes in here like they are bringing tablets down from Mt. Sinai and they actually don't know anything about presidential politics. And today that's you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Times just published some article today titled 'Clinton Campaign Increasingly Concerned by Biden Run'

The media wants Biden to run so bad it's hard to separate out their own wishful thinking from objective analysis. I'd still like to see the article if you have a link handy, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mozi posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/01/u...WT.nav=top-news

Bunch of anonymous sources trying to craft a narrative. Same dumb poo poo that the Times has been pulling for a while now. I don't really understand their angle.

They loving hate HRC is their angle. But yeah that article is bullshit, imo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Yeah, like CNN can barely hide their lust for a biden run.

They're supposed to be the Clinton News Network :qq:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

jackofarcades posted:

If Clinton had to drop out for whatever reason, Biden would probably win the Dem nomination

That could be a reason why he hasn't said he won't run, because he's Hillary's backup just in case.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

McGovernmania is catching on!

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 1, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Oh poo poo yeah, misread that. This is an even more contrived bar than I thought.

Yeah I thought it was unique donors as well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

nachos posted:

:lol: House Republicans including Chaffetz are pissed McCarthy gave the game away

I don't see how anyone in the whole world could be surprised that the longest running congressional investigation of all time that also involves the front runner for the Dem nomination for the president is anything but a political farce. Like is there someone today devastated by this revelation?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

If you're polling at 2.5% why are you still even spending money on your pipe dream? You got your sound bites and pundit offers. Just let it go, also-rans!

It ain't their money they're spending.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

New USA Today/Suffolk poll, Martin O'Malley is polling at 0% percent

For comparison, Larry Lessig is at 0.47% and Lincoln Chafee is at 0.7%

Thanks, unfair Hillary debate schedule.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Azuth0667 posted:

Do any of these people that execute innocents ever get punished?

Sometimes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They don't have an article up on it yet, so that's all I know.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon, which is in the southeast part of the state.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

Reports now are that the shooter is still active apparently, yikes.

CNN is reporting he's in custody but like all developing stories, I wouldn't assume anything is factual for a couple of hours.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

Should we just have assigned dormitories for Congress people to avoid shady real estate favors and make being wealthy not a prerequisite?

Yeah but then we get Youtube celebrities in Congress.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Our flower power is no match for his....glower power

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maybe if several thousand people died in a single shooting but apart from that, nah.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hhhat posted:

Someone could mow down the whole tea party caucus with at AR15 and the survivors still wouldn't support background checks

If someone did that, neither would I.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lid posted:

It says something horrifying when minimum ten people being gunned down is considered a "derail" rather than a national incident.

It's really only a problem when TFR posters, who care about nothing except gun rights, come in here to explain to us that the availability and prevalence of guns is somehow completely divorced from gun violence in America.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Massasoit posted:

This is loving disgusting. All of those organizations should be ashamed.

For doing their job?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I hope you're as understanding as you are with the NRA when they respond to this tragedy.

I don't see tweeting at a person already tweeting about the thing as some sort of callous dangerous practice.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

You cannot fathom, even if the woman who originally tweeted that message had also asked to be interviewed, the awful practices of news organizations to instantly pounce on a story with no care of the circumstances?

gently caress, man.

As everyone in the country furiously refreshes their browsers for the merest scrap of information about it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Someone's really going to need to teach you about reloading at some point.

You make a good point about the banning of semiautomatic weapons.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

Official number dead so far is 13

Sad to say this but I guess this is going to be one of the "significant" ones.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Well, the other option is that a bunch of people who have a really bare understanding of how guns work and how they're used (assuming they aren't completely clueless) keep trying to make decisions about them.

I'll say what I said the last time: firearms is the only subject I've seen where the people who actually have a deep understanding of the subject matter are called crazy thugs if they try to participate.

Oh I know what guns are used for.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A Bag of Milk posted:

Significant in what way?

Well you have ones where only a couple of people die and they don't really crack the political zeitgeist, then you have the Aurora theater, Va Tech, Sandy Hook, etc. The ones you can list by name.

Like this is going to be the campaign issue for the next two weeks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Significant in making it impossible to talk about anything else in this thread for several days. No room here to talk about Trump declaring he'll kill off NAFTA for example.

Haha he really is Perot 2.0.

greatn posted:

We were arguing over whether Bernie might be closer to Hillary's cash on hand a few pages back, turns out yes, very close. She had close to a 90% burn rate over the summer and has $32 million on hand, Bernie has $26.5 million on hand.

So actually a very small money advantage.

Of course that doesn't include super PACs.

Gee, but are super PACs important?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

Honestly I have no idea. You'd think so but there was a huge superpac advantage in 12 for Republicans which didn't seem to do anything and every liberal superpac I've seen has been pretty embarrassingly ineffectual.

Yeah I don't either tbh but I feel like they have to.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you want to ahem, protect the *extremely strong ahem* rights of gun owners to hunt and protect themselves at home from threats that will materialize, there's no reason not to ban anything with a mag and only permit bolt-action rifles with 3 round capacity, shotguns and revolvers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

this_is_hard posted:

I think you mean a clip?

They get really mad when you use correct terminology because it doesn't let them derail the debate into a argument about terms instead of policy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

I support forcing all guns to be permanently held against each other like they're kissing.

You mean the bayonet.

Augh gay guns!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

See you're just proving chitoryu12's point, revolvers are much more commonly used in gun crimes than rifles with a magazine.

In mass shootings? That's what I'm talking about not general crime. I think the policy proposal I said would more or less end double digit fatality mass shootings in America.

Also if I had to guess, I'd guess that revolvers are cheaper or more available or some other variable rather than they are just better to do crimes with.

• Locked thread