Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

AHAHAHAHA! "Just" :newlol:

Yeah, I know! Not the best phrasing on my part. I meant that hands are the biggest challenge I have at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Wow. That is some excellent work. I am jealous.

Anyway, here's the drawing I made for today. I've been playing a bunch of Bloodborne, so I gave drawing that a try. Personally, I feel this is my best work yet.

I was going to draw the rest of the spear, but I ran out of room.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
I tried the clipart thing again, with better results.

Doing hair this way is super fun.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Tace Vim posted:

Nah, not trying to mess with you. I did work for about 4 years as a prop artist for a game studio, using Photoshop and 3ds Max to create assets and some levels. Only recently started playing around more with cartoony stuff, but have dabbled occasionally with the style in the past. I can draw more realistic figures and faces from reference if I take my time, but I'm pretty crappy at drawing stuff off the top of my head (apart from maybe weird aliens or spaceships). Would be really great to be a paid artist again - game art or cartoon stuff (which I don't know much about, but would like to get more into).

I just watched a whole bunch or Rick and Morty recently which inspired me to draw some cartoony faces, and I guess something in my brain just 'clicked'. It takes me about 2-3 hours roughly to do one of those pages, while casually watching TV or listening to music - which is pretty slow. I've just begun playing around with cartoon bodies, hands and feet, but they're not very good so far.

When I was working, I was getting into doing a few concept pieces, and practicing figure drawing, but not at a skill level that was professional IMO. Got lazy after losing my artist job, but I'm slowly getting back into it again.

What studio were you at?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

With an animated GIF showing process:

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

mutata posted:

What studio were you at?

Krome Studios Adelaide, and Midway Studios Australia for 6 months before all 200 of us were fired on one day lol.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Devil's night tonight.

Another attempt at improving with photoshop but failing.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 31, 2015

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Tace Vim posted:

Krome Studios Adelaide, and Midway Studios Australia for 6 months before all 200 of us were fired on one day lol.

Yikes. Good to see you back creating then. It'd be a shame to let Midway of all places rob you of that. ;)

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

One more under the wire.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

smallmouth posted:

One more under the wire.

Really great work. What do you mean "under the wire"?

Also - doesn't Midway make pinball machines? Or am I thinking of another Midway?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

sigma 6 posted:

Also - doesn't Midway make pinball machines? Or am I thinking of another Midway?

Monthly art jam, and it's Halloween, methinks

"Under the wire" is an idiom meaning just in time or just before the deadline

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Ahh - I meant which art jam? I have been doing Inktober myself. Really got me liking ballpoint again. Also learning that ballpoint and photoshop don't seem to mix very well.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 31, 2015

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

sigma 6 posted:

Ahh - I meant which art jam? I have been doing Inktober myself. Really got me liking ballpoint again. Also learning that ballpoint and photoshop don't seem to mix very well.

This one, the October, Halloween themed art thread.

You say they don't mix very well, do you mean the edges of the ballpoint lines? You might be able to get them to blend better using alpha channels. Or you could go the other way and not attempt to have them blend at all. Mixed media and whatnot.

Can we see?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

sigma 6 posted:

Midway published a lot of arcade cabinet games and pinball games. They also published home console and PC games. Their most notable franchise was probably Mortal Kombat.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

sigma 6 posted:

Under the wire, I think, as in "the thread's about to close because October is over". :) And Midway is was a video game and pinball publisher.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

sigma 6 posted:

Thanks! Yep, I just meant one more before the topic closes.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Phylodox posted:

With an animated GIF !

How does it not drive you completely up the wall to have the entire pic wiggling in your eyes as you're doing it? Do you just get used to it? I'm not quoting the gif it's making me anxious just looking at it.
And isn't it a pain to get an area painted so that you won't get at least bits of little blobs of not-quite-painted-white in the corners etc, or do I just suck at magic wand tool?
I usually paint under the line layer and have resolved to forever be erasing the bits that go outside the lines.

sigma 6 posted:

Also learning that ballpoint and photoshop don't seem to mix very well.

I actually tried to do the blending thing to help you and you're right - poo poo's hard yo. I'm not even posting what I got done, that's how miserable I was.

What I got done however is the last vampire of the season

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sharpest Crayon posted:

How does it not drive you completely up the wall to have the entire pic wiggling in your eyes as you're doing it? Do you just get used to it? I'm not quoting the gif it's making me anxious just looking at it.
And isn't it a pain to get an area painted so that you won't get at least bits of little blobs of not-quite-painted-white in the corners etc, or do I just suck at magic wand tool?
I usually paint under the line layer and have resolved to forever be erasing the bits that go outside the lines.

I don't know what you mean by wiggling. If you mean the flickering around the linework, that's a byproduct of the GIF animation, it didn't show up like that when I was doing it.

And as for colouring inside the lines, a lot of the time I just go slowly and erase whenever I go over, but sometimes when I'm feeling lazy (as I was with this picture) I use Manga Studio's automatic "don't paint over the line" feature. It makes things easier, but it means that the colour has gaps in it wherever there's lineart, which caused the flickering in the animated GIF.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Any ideas for next month (I'll have the thread up sometime tomorrow)?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Humboldt Squid posted:

Any ideas for next month (I'll have the thread up sometime tomorrow)?

Inksgiving?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Besesoth posted:

Inksgiving?

Conquest? Cultural genocide?
Buckles?

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Brovember - let's draw bros doing bro-things!

Snowember - we draw nature that's cold.

Van Goghvember - uh.. everything one-eared and van gogh

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I forgot this month is #drawdinovember so how about dinosaurs?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I like "snowvember." Winter scenes can be hard.

Horn of plenty / cornucopia also comes to mind.

Doesn't the person who starts the thread get to pick?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Moustaches!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Thread's up
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749578

• Locked thread