Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Rivarz posted:

There were no real scares, just a bunch of loud noises and poo poo that pops out at you. Plus a real bedsheet ghost.

How to do a bed sheet ghost well-

See: Legend of Hell House

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Hey everyone... please send me your info for pizza, even if you didn't enter the raffle. Just do it.

What? No, that's my pizza. I deserve it. I spoke to my fiancee and we both agree that it's our birthright.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jenny Angel posted:

What? No, that's my pizza. I deserve it. I spoke to my fiancee and we both agree that it's our birthright.

Trust me on this one. :tubular:

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Trust me on this one. :tubular:

[scoffs] You expect me to share my birthright with these.... [extremely contemptuous voice] these people?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

BTW when you say broccoli you mean like, just broccoli?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Live in 20!

Rivarz
Oct 11, 2004
He who flows like water

Not Pictured: Sierra Mist

Thanks Lurdiak!

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
Okay I asked this in the chat but didn't really get an answer; do y'all have premium no-ad ustream accounts or just deal with the constant random ads? Because it's pretty frustratingly distracting unless it's something you've seen before and don't mind losing 2-3 minute chunks of at random points.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I imagine everyone runs adblock or similar.

Rivarz
Oct 11, 2004
He who flows like water

Mister J posted:

Okay I asked this in the chat but didn't really get an answer; do y'all have premium no-ad ustream accounts or just deal with the constant random ads? Because it's pretty frustratingly distracting unless it's something you've seen before and don't mind losing 2-3 minute chunks of at random points.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Please don't use AdBlock. There is a ton of poo poo wrong with that blocker. One of them being that a company bought them out and automatically whitelists some ads. They are lovely.

Luckily there is an alternative! uBlock

I asked a couple pages ago, this was the answer I got after Adblock

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
That worked great, thanks!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Frailty: 5/10. Shot fantastically, acted wonderfully, every 'twist' you could see coming a mile away.

You're Next: 7/10 due to blender kill. Unfair review, as I was zoned out during most of the movie playing Burnout Paradise, but Death By Blender ups the numbers.

Outer Limits: 10/10 because it's Sandkings. Can't really review the second episode of OL we watched, as I was on soup-making-for-sick-girlfriend duty.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 25, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Haha, I love how the "everybody wins!" pizza night happened on a night that I got home AFTER the pizza buying. Came in just after the start to You're Next, but soon enough to the start to follow it all, I apparently just missed a little of that intro time of the family kinda all either mumbling or shouting at each other. Man does that film have weird, constant momentum. I spent the first half not really liking it, and then the second half liking it more and more til the end I think it earned a solid overall 3.5 out of 4, with the last half hour accounting for most of the positive rating.

I have literally no idea if I'll be able to make the stream tonight. I have a movie watching party with friends. No real end time to it. This weekend is when I really celebrate the holiday most of the two months I count. Though later this week I still need to make my :spooky:.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Beginning at 8:30 EST, tonight's features are...

American Psycho

and...

The Exorcism of Emily Rose

As always, we'll also be watching....

Eerie Indiana

and...

The Outer Limits

Be there!

Choco1980 posted:

Haha, I love how the "everybody wins!" pizza night happened on a night that I got home AFTER the pizza buying. Came in just after the start to You're Next, but soon enough to the start to follow it all, I apparently just missed a little of that intro time of the family kinda all either mumbling or shouting at each other. Man does that film have weird, constant momentum. I spent the first half not really liking it, and then the second half liking it more and more til the end I think it earned a solid overall 3.5 out of 4, with the last half hour accounting for most of the positive rating.

I have literally no idea if I'll be able to make the stream tonight. I have a movie watching party with friends. No real end time to it. This weekend is when I really celebrate the holiday most of the two months I count. Though later this week I still need to make my :spooky:.

You'll be there in spirit, disagreeing with me.

Rivarz posted:

Not Pictured: Sierra Mist

Thanks Lurdiak!

:toot: Always happy to feed the peoples.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

If you are the kind of person who is annoyed that the Conjuring portrays the Warrens in a positive light as opposed to the scum-sucking con artists that they actually are, the Exorcism of Emily Rose is going to make you seethe with barely contained rage.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Bug
Rating: 7 skulls out of 10
Most Interesting Aspect: The simmering paranoia in the sound design

The Conjuring
Rating: 7 skulls out of 10
Most Interesting Aspect: The way the demonic activity manifests itself largely as exhausting, low-level family dysfunction in the first act

Frailty
Rating: 6 skulls out of 10
Most Interesting Aspect: Probably all the parts where it doesn't come down on the side of child abuse in order to blow our minds

You're Next
Rating: 8 skulls out of 10
Most Interesting Aspect: The moment the camera's allegiance shifts in order to grant Erin the mantle of the cathartic, heroic slasher

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 25, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Andrew Verse posted:

If you are the kind of person who is annoyed that the Conjuring portrays the Warrens in a positive light as opposed to the scum-sucking con artists that they actually are, the Exorcism of Emily Rose is going to make you seethe with barely contained rage.

At least James Wan didn't direct this one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Live in 20!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
You're Next is a lot better when you consider that it's a really gory Home Alone.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

You're Next is a lot better when you consider that it's a really gory Home Alone.

Yeah I picked up on that pretty quick when the one bad guy stepped on a nail and started hopping around in pain.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose is pure unfiltered dullness. It makes The Conjuring look exciting.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I came in late-late on a stream of films i'd already seen last night (I wanted an eerie indiana fix still) but I never felt that strongly about Emily Rose. It's a courtroom drama disguised as an exoricism movie, where the possession flashbacks are as cookie cutter as it gets. Meh, it's very bland and innocuous. Not what I'd call "bad", but nothing too memorable or inspiring either.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

That's the worst possible thing for a movie to be, though.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
"This case isn't about facts" - an actual line from the defense

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It was pretty funny when we all thought we'd seen the climax of the film and then I looked at the running time and there was still over half an hour to go.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Horns posted:

"This case isn't about facts" - an actual line from the defense

Like I said in chat, when a lawyer starts relying on the Chewbacca Defense, you know their case is terrible, and they're grasping at straws.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Choco1980 posted:

Like I said in chat, when a lawyer starts relying on the Chewbacca Defense, you know their case is terrible, and they're grasping at straws.

I'm confused. I didn't think any court case was based on facts, rather they were based on the emotional outbursts of the lawyers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Watrick posted:

I'm confused. I didn't think any court case was based on facts, rather they were based on the emotional outbursts of the lawyers.

And also how cool the movies they reference are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6sZH7e8JsE

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

quote:

Anneliese Michel [ˈanəˌliːzə ˈmɪçl̩] (21 September 1952 – 1 July 1976) was a German woman who underwent Catholic exorcism rites in 1975 and died the next year, due to lack of medical care. Later investigation determined that she was malnourished and dehydrated; her parents and the priests responsible were charged with negligent homicide. The case attracted media and public attention because of the Catholic Church's unusual decision to employ the 400-year-old ritual of exorcism, something that had been rarely seen since the 18th Century. The film The Exorcism of Emily Rose is loosely based on her story.

When Michel was sixteen, she experienced an epileptic seizure and was diagnosed with temporal lobe epilepsy. She was diagnosed as depressed and treated at a psychiatric hospital. By the time she was twenty, she had become intolerant of various religious objects, and began to hear voices. Her condition worsened, despite medication, and she became suicidal. Michel and her family became convinced she was possessed by demons, and appealed to a Catholic priest for an exorcism. While rejected at first, after much hesitation, two priests got permission from the local bishop in 1975, and performed exorcism rites on her for 10 months, in secret (as ordered by the bishop). After her death, Michel's parents and the two priests were found guilty of negligent homicide, and were sentenced to six months in jail (reduced to three years of probation), and a fine. The case has been cited as an example of a misidentified mental disorder, negligence, abuse and religious hysteria.

quote:

On 1 July 1976, Michel died in her home. The autopsy report stated the cause was malnutrition and dehydration because of being in a semi-starvation state for almost a year while the rites of exorcism were performed.[11] She weighed 30 kilograms (68 pounds) and the previous day, she had broken knees due to the continuous genuflections and was unable to move without assistance, and was reported to have been suffering from pneumonia.[8]

No but hey, let's turn this tragedy into a movie about how she wasn't a victim of idiotic religious lunatics, she was actually chosen by god to suffer and demons are really real and the priest who did this to her is a hero and his defense attourney's transformation from agnostic to true believer is an awesome and beautiful thing that makes the victim's prolonged painful death all worth it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The real Anneliese Michel movie is Requiem.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Andrew Verse posted:

No but hey, let's turn this tragedy into a movie about how she wasn't a victim of idiotic religious lunatics, she was actually chosen by god to suffer and demons are really real and the priest who did this to her is a hero and his defense attourney's transformation from agnostic to true believer is an awesome and beautiful thing that makes the victim's prolonged painful death all worth it.

Hey, I'm converting to Christianly after seeing that movie and reading that heroic tale. It's truly inspiring.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Starting at 8:30 EST, tonight's features are...

It Follows

and...

Excision

And tonight's got an extra helping of...

Eerie Indiana

Be there!

No more pizza, sorry.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
After some investigation David Robert Mitchell is apparently not David Mitchell so I had a really weird idea of what that movie was going to be like.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

After some investigation David Robert Mitchell is apparently not David Mitchell so I had a really weird idea of what that movie was going to be like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZOoKCOWlbs

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Never seen Excision, heard its pretty brutal.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Saw It Follows in the theater, and know several of the shooting locations. It's an awesome movie. Excision I haven't even heard of, so that definitely goes in the tally!

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

poo poo. I'm watching It Follows on Halloween. Excision is a good time though. Good picks Lurdiak.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

By the way, tonight's theme is Creepy Sex Stuff, so uh, you've been warned.

Watrick posted:

poo poo. I'm watching It Follows on Halloween. Excision is a good time though. Good picks Lurdiak.

Aw, you won't join us for the Final Night?

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 30, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Creepy sex stuff is the best kind though...

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

By the way, tonight's theme is Creepy Sex Stuff, so uh, you've been warned.

Aw, you won't join us for the Final Night?

I might pop in just to shoot the poo poo. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Never heard of Excision either, curious about that. Saw It Follows in the theater, which was a good time. Has a middling rap around here, curious how I'll feel about it on a rewatch.

• Locked thread