Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

I have video but no chat? If I try to open it in another browser it can't find the site.

Yeah, that's what I was having, but it looks like the video finally stopped. (or lurdiak paused)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

We're back on site number 3.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
This was an elaborate plan to get me to not be able to defend The Conjuring in chat, wasn't it

EDIT: I'm still here but will probably be bouncing around till Outer Limits

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bring it on, kid, I ain't afraid of no posts.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
Are we back on ustream?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hmm... can't log onto any streams. Have a new link? I'll keep looking.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
This has been pretty ridiculous technically tonight. Gonna have to make up missing scenes after the stream because it crapped out early for me. I'm like, ten minutes missing at least.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

Lurdiak posted:

We're back on site number 3.

What's site number 3?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's Twitch. Sorry about all the technical issues.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Bug was funny-scary, Conjuring was stupid, and our Outer Limits episode was Tempests, the second-best episode of the whole series, second only to Sandkings. Great to see people reacting to the ending to strongly. :dance:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Like I said, it reminded me of that old Alan Moore Superman Comic "For the Man Who Has Everything. Sure the particulars were completely different, but the macguffin accomplished the same thing. Burt Young acted his heart out too.

Bug was absolutely amazing. Conjuring was as bland and dull as possible. I really liked the Eerie Indiana episode though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My favorite part about the Conjuring is how every single prop looked like a cartoony fake version of the thing it was supposed to be, making it impossible to take the movie seriously as horror. It was like watching the old Batman tv series, only much less funny.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Y'all a bunch of crazy people. The Conjuring is great and quite possibly the scariest horror movie ever made.

Bug, I didn't much care for. It seems to be one of those movies that is actually a drama, but people categorize it as horror because there's some blood and/or because someone gets horribly murdelized. So, going into it expecting a horror movie I was horribly let down. Not a bad movie in and on itself, just not a horror movie.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
The doll in The Conjuring makes me lol.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

It almost doesn't matter what kind of doll it is if it moves it will creep me out. A poorly matted shot of lumpy puppets attacking Corbin Bernsen? Creepy. A barely mobile action figure that spits out a leech and then dies? Creepy. A scarred buddy doll giggling to himself as he bops around a military school dropping puns? Creepy.

Basically what I'm saying is that over the past two weeks I've realized that a narrow cave tunnel full of angry porcelain dolls might be the scariest thing I could see on a movie screen.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Andrew Verse posted:

Bug, I didn't much care for. It seems to be one of those movies that is actually a drama, but people categorize it as horror because there's some blood and/or because someone gets horribly murdelized. So, going into it expecting a horror movie I was horribly let down. Not a bad movie in and on itself, just not a horror movie.

A story doesn't need an actual sheet-and-ectoplasm ghost jumping out and going "Booga booga!" to be horror or scary, for the record.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

A story doesn't need an actual sheet-and-ectoplasm ghost jumping out and going "Booga booga!" to be horror or scary, for the record.

No it don't, but I still don't feel like Bug qualifies as horror. It's a very dark and depressing tragic tale, but none of it is particularly scary.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah Bug wasn't quite a horror film, but that's ok, it was still good. These things happen when you take recommendations from strangers.

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi9xE6EGWas&t=1894s

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 24, 2015

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

I think Bug is very much a horror film. Descending into unfiltered paranoia and mental illness is pretty drat scary. To see, and believe, that there are bugs living in your blood is too.

Remember, horror is an umbrella term. There doesn't need to be cheesy possessed dolls for a film to meet the criteria. Does this mean Bug is straight up horror? No, but many good horror films genre blend.

I was at a museum awhile ago and the people I was with and I watched a short that they had playing, I wish I could remember the name. It was about a woman taking care of her dying mother. After I looked at my group and told them that we just watched a horror flick, they all disagreed. We went out to see some displays about the movie and we found the description, the director said it was a horror movie. I had never felt so :smug: in my life.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Andrew Verse posted:

Y'all a bunch of crazy people. The Conjuring is great and quite possibly the scariest horror movie ever made.

I'm less hard on it than Lurdiak but the fact that someone could actually put these words together is baffling to me

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I could imagine someone finding it enjoyable if they were just really really into the whole possession/exorcism subgenre since those people are weird and alien with inscrutable tastes, but great and also scary? Yeah, I'm baffled.

On the bright side, Bug was really fun and the super mother bug scene was fantastic. I don't know whether I'd be more impressed if it was scripted or improvised.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm quite into The Conjuring but it's like a 7/10 Skulls film, maybe 8/10. Then again, so is Bug.

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 24, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Beginning at 8:30 EST, tonight's features are...

Frailty

and...

You're Next

We will also announce the winner of the...

But wait, there's more! As always, we'll be watching....

Eerie Indiana

and...

The Outer Limits

Be there!

Tonight better not have as many ridiculous technical issues or I'm gonna buy a gun and eat it.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Heck yes, Frailty is such an underrated gem.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

King of Bleh posted:

It really is. I rewatched it earlier this year to determine if it qualified and it definitely holds up. Can you believe that was Matthew McConaughey's directorial debut?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

King of Bleh posted:

Yes, and You're Next is a little overrated, I feel. It'll be interesting to see where everyone's opinion falls on this one.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Sarchasm posted:

Yes, and You're Next is a little overrated, I feel. It'll be interesting to see where everyone's opinion falls on this one.

It's a good thing that it's second in the line-up. We can ask "what's next?" and the reply will be "You're Next!" which seems like good fun.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Frailty is a great watch. You're Next looks like it's full of itself, but I'll give it a watch.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Not sure what "theme" there is for tonight's stream apart from being two really good movies.

Sarchasm posted:

Yes, and You're Next is a little overrated, I feel.

A few people seem to share this opinion and I disagree totally. I think it depends on if you think "twists" on the slasher genre are played out by this point or not. That and the fact that the movie is at least 70% straightforward slasher movie

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

I think it depends on if you think "twists" on the slasher genre are played out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJbmB9k2Y88

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

King Vidiot posted:

Not sure what "theme" there is for tonight's stream apart from being two really good movies.

I think it depends on if you think "twists" on the slasher genre are played out by this point or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s75OryIKDxE

(Though I actually wanna watch this movie!)

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

The twist they haven't (over)used yet is filming the slasher movie from the point of view of the slasher as a hosed up superhero movie thing.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

It really is. I rewatched it earlier this year to determine if it qualified and it definitely holds up. Can you believe that was Matthew McConaughey's directorial debut?

Bill Paxton's debut as director, I was lucky enough to see Frailty in it's theatrical release, it's a really fantastic and underrated movie.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
What made You're Next work for me though was that it was entertaining beyond the "twist", where with something like Cabin in the Woods the twist is all there is. If you take the twist totally out of Cabin in the Woods then you have a lovely, bog-standard direct-to-video horror movie with a cookie cutter plot and shallow characters. If you take the twist out of You're Next you still have a solid slasher film with well-written characters.

Also by twist I of course don't mean the very end, I mean the change-up that occurs around the beginning of the third act. No spoilers even in tags for the benefit of those going in blind, thanks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Bill Paxton's debut as director

I keep getting that wrong for some reason.

Rivarz
Oct 11, 2004
He who flows like water
I really liked Bug. The visuals on the room near the end were really neat, but I kept thinking how expensive it would be to coat a room in foil. Grilling season gets pricey.

The conjuring was bad. It was a bad attempt at a "true" story. It was a bad attempt at a story period. There were no real scares, just a bunch of loud noises and poo poo that pops out at you. Plus a real bedsheet ghost. The warrens were waaaaaaaay too attractive, and no one except the crazy ex girlfriend from 6 feet under gave a gently caress throughout the entire movie.

The thing I liked most was the use of the rope creak sound. It was pretty creepy, and instantly set the mood for the scene it was in.

Outside of that, I have no idea why this movie was popular. I can watch some bad movies, and I think some mainstream movies are pretty good, but this was just bad.

Bug: 8/10
The Conjuring: 2/10

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Lurdiak posted:

Then I'm shocked you didn't say it was directed by Bill Pullman :v:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Not sure yet, but some of my plans tonight may be canceled. Not all though. There's a chance I'll get home in time for You're Next. I hope so.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I can only imagine what the hell would result with Matthew McConaughey though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hey everyone... please send me your info for pizza, even if you didn't enter the raffle. Just do it.

• Locked thread