Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Adam Bowen posted:

Did something moderately offensive happen and trigger you?

anime happened, would be my guess, knowing nothing about la-mulana besides it was made in japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Alucard posted:

Anyone else playing armikrog? Even as buggy as it is I'm still kind of enjoying it.

i am

i am enjoying it even though i kinda feel like i got ripped off. i don't think i could recommend it to other people in good conscience though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

icantfindaname posted:

anime happened, would be my guess, knowing nothing about la-mulana besides it was made in japan

It was?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

yes? you didn't know that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La-Mulana

quote:

Designer: Takumi Naramura

La-Mulana is a 2D side-scrolling platform game, first released on May 27, 2005 in Japan for Microsoft Windows that features graphics and an interface inspired by MSX games. The game is a traditional action-adventure game, reminiscent of Metroid games. This game was originally only available in Japanese, but an English translation patch has been produced by Ian Kelley of AGTP.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

precision posted:

my gf is gonna be this:

games has really gone downhill if nobody is gonna ice burn me for this, especially since it's actually true :wooper:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

precision posted:

games has really gone downhill if nobody is gonna ice burn me for this, especially since it's actually true :wooper:

chie something something the pillow you made a hole in something something

you happy?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's not very anime at all.

I just thought that the lame attempts at jokes by some of the npcs, especially the village elder, were kinda groanworthy. Not sure why Adam Bower is acting like I called the game a stain upon the medium.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
and my vidyas are old but good. finally getting around to MH4U which is fun as hell and i plowed through the destiny expansion which had such modern inventions as "plot," "characters," "set pieces," and "fights that aren't just waves of enemies"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
my co-workers keep talking about how Destiny is good now and it makes my facial muscles twitch

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

precision posted:

my co-workers keep talking about how Destiny is good now and it makes my facial muscles twitch

bunch of normies IMO

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
they also keep talking about how Heroes of the Storm is "kinda like Starcraft" c/d

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
What's a good way of replicating that weird sci-fi helmet that the Quake Guy wears for use in a Halloween costume?

I want to spend all night strafe-running my way through town while making the same exact "HURP" noise as I attempt to leap over small obstacles

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ChickenHeart posted:

What's a good way of replicating that weird sci-fi helmet that the Quake Guy wears for use in a Halloween costume?

I want to spend all night strafe-running my way through town while making the same exact "HURP" noise as I attempt to leap over small obstacles

Thats better than when I dressed as the doom guy by getting punched in the face until my eyes bled.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

i'm glad you're in what seems like an affirming relationship with a fellow tasteful gamer, BITCH

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Mak0rz posted:

god dammit adam bowen you couldn't even wait one goddamn page??

I meant in terms of the endless references. The game was good though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
tales of xillia fuckin owns

oh also there's this early access steam game called Mini Metro where you connect things together to make a subway system and it is loving dope and chill

precision fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 2, 2015

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

precision posted:

Is she going to spout poetry nonstop too?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

precision posted:

your girlfriend is probably going to look like this

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Adam Bowen posted:

your girlfriend is probably going to look like this

He makes me regret being gay.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Adam Bowen posted:

I meant in terms of the endless references. The game was good though.

oh ok, sorry

yeah guacamelee is full of outdated reddit jokes, but i really really don't think it's more meme-ridden than borderlands 2. there's just no way

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

the stupid memes aren't the jokes I was referring to because memes are not jokes. Guacamelee has actual jokes in its dialogue.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
guacamelee is legit funny idk how there is even room for debate here

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Im playing through modded Fallout3/NV to get ready for next month.
The birthday scene combined with the spinning head glitch was possibly the first time a game has made me so creeped out i laughed.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

precision posted:

guacamelee is legit funny idk how there is even room for debate here

Memes trigger some goons. A lot.

Anyway, my gaming foray right now is that I've gone back to... Dota 2. Yes, I know. I just randomly select a character in games and don't give a poo poo about my 'performance' and I'm actually doing surprisingly well so far. I used to go all tryhard on 'perfecting' a character by playing it 5+ times in a row but it usually bored me to tears. I highly recommend not giving a poo poo and just randoming all day long, you actually learn a ton that way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
one day, i will actually try playing DOTA or LOL or whatever one is popular now

that day... is not today

but i kinda wanna see what all the hubbub is about. people said Awesomenauts was a MOBA or whatever and it was cool and good

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I recently got into Project Reality and Age of Empires 2 HD. Never touched them at all when I was younger. Was more into Q2, R6, and SCBW back then.

Games are Good™ :thumbsup:

They both have about the same learning curve. It's not too much, though. I'd say it's about a total of 15~20 minutes worth of actual effort to figure everything out.

edit-- unfortunately there are no goons who are also into this right now so I got only the AI and pubbies to play with.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 2, 2015

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

precision posted:

one day, i will actually try playing DOTA or LOL or whatever one is popular now

that day... is not today

but i kinda wanna see what all the hubbub is about. people said Awesomenauts was a MOBA or whatever and it was cool and good

I've never played Awesomenauts so I dunno about that game but IMHO Dota is the best MOBA but also the one with the highest barrier of entry for newcomers. LoL is easier to learn but not as interesting, but YMMV. They are both F2P so no harm in trying them both out. Dota 2 has a bunch of decent tutorials nowadays so you should have a general idea of what to do in a match, and the game does a good job matching you with equally stupid players. I also recommend reading this guide once in a while as you play more games. If you know someone who already plays Dota he can 'coach' your match by spectating live and giving you pointers which should help a lot.

The worst part of the MOBA genre is the often toxic community, but in general it varies greatly from match to match how bad it is. I suggest using the mute button liberally or just playing with friends a lot.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

the problem with the video games industry is that it's filled with video game fans

see also: anime

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
*click*
Polygon

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Nasgate posted:

*click*
Polygon

It's just an excerpt from the book of the same name, you can pay $3 to Amazon to read it instead: http://www.amazon.com/Wrong-With-Video-Games-multi-billion-dollar-ebook/dp/B015IFZN76

precision posted:

my gf is gonna be this:

Why is that anime girl wearing a padlocked collar?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

quote:

"Games are not a professional environment by default, by their nature," CS4 said. "That's one of the great things about working on a game. But there are certain levels of unprofessionalism that you don't go beyond. Chris and Sandi made it part of their job to go beyond those levels."

the double edged sword of working on games

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

it's cool how he openly admits that games are by their very nature forever doomed to be Bad Art

Ebert was right

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Cardboard Box A posted:

It's just an excerpt from the book of the same name, you can pay $3 to Amazon to read it instead: http://www.amazon.com/Wrong-With-Video-Games-multi-billion-dollar-ebook/dp/B015IFZN76

Why is that anime girl wearing a padlocked collar?

She's a fragmented shard of an ancient god that became human in order to watch humanity in order to do the ancient god's bidding unknowingly.

Sort of like how Athena was born by busting out of Zeus' head. The Locket represents a secret.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

She's a fragmented shard of an ancient god that became human in order to watch humanity in order to do the ancient god's bidding unknowingly.

Sort of like how Athena was born by busting out of Zeus' head. The Locket represents a secret.

You mean she's like Zeus' headache?

Athena is her own sentient god, and does her own bidding.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Nasgate posted:

quote:

After Izanami's defeat in the true ending, Marie is revealed to be part of Izanami, whose true name is Izanami-no-Mikoto, who wished to protect humanity while also granting humanity's wish. Marie reveals that Ameno-sagiri, Kunino-sagiri and Izanami-no-Okami have fused with her before she disappears from the Velvet Room to go to parts unknown. When the protagonist returns to Inaba the following summer, she has reappeared in the real world, taking on the name Mariko Kusumi and is now working as a weather forecaster, since her powers as she became whole means that she does not actually forecast Inaba's weather but decides it. However, it is yet unknown if she still retains access to the Velvet Room. She does not actually meet the main characters in the epilogue, but will proclaim her love for the protagonist on TV while they are watching it, only if the protagonist pursues a relationship with Marie after maxing out her social link. At the end of the credits, she can be seen in a photograph together with the rest of the main characters.

it works like dis

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Nasgate posted:

Considered the wisest of the pantheon and even able to outwar Ares by not being stupid. She's sorta cool but also suffers Superman syndrome, making her less interesting.

What I'm saying is Chie is like Superman but less interesting for it. Also I will never get used to the creepy way current anime renders skinny girl legs.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Heroes of the Storm is a lot of fun to start out because it introduces aspects of the game to you at a rate that isn't frustratingly overwhelming or coddling. Unlike DOTA or League you can pick up most of what you need to know about playing the game in a match or two, and the different maps keep things interesting.

I feel like that has been the strong point of Blizzard for a long time. Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm both channel that "easy to pick up, hard to master" ethos better than any other game in their respective genres.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
can someone explain why rhythm games usually don't have the buttons line up with the song's beat or anything. It's confusing as all hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

it works like dis

Huh, i always forget how underwhelming gods are in Japanese media, then i remember that gods are just super strong spirits, and there's millions of spirits, so gods don't need to be unique or interesting, just powerful.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Heroes of the Storm is a lot of fun to start out because it introduces aspects of the game to you at a rate that isn't frustratingly overwhelming or coddling. Unlike DOTA or League you can pick up most of what you need to know about playing the game in a match or two, and the different maps keep things interesting.

I feel like that has been the strong point of Blizzard for a long time. Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm both channel that "easy to pick up, hard to master" ethos better than any other game in their respective genres.

Having only played one of those games, and watching plenty of the other, i have to say that Blizz is still good at "easy to pick up" but not at all good at "hard to master"

• Locked thread