Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

VanguardFelix posted:

I have skimmed through them, but most of it all seems targeted to starting from square 1. I don't have any debt to pay off, and my savings plan isn't exactly long term. I use humor when talking about it, like in the OP, but legitimately I will likely not make it to retirement age and even if I could I could never afford my current medical costs sans an employer subsidized health insurance. I will work until I drop dead.

I'm planning on posting a budget end of month to see how it all shakes out. I believe I could roll my 401k over as both are managed by Vanguard, but I will have to check with my employer to see. Active investing in general is something I'm interested in, but I'm in a bit of analysis paralysis right now as I learn about it.

One of the things that often comes up is that people live longer than they expect. I am assuming your medical condition is pretty serious but I have a number of friends who have major medical problems and have lived substantially longer than their doctors believed possible. In the event that you live a longer life than expected then being able to fund medical expenses would be a huge benefit.

In terms of investing I was in a similar situation last year where I wasn't sure how to invest well and not make major gently caress ups (due to some past poor decisions). It's easy to get stuck in analysis paralysis but what I would strongly recommend is reading The Four Pillars of Investing (linked in the retirement thread) as this will teach you how to invest. You don't need to be a very active investor to make good returns. It will take a while to read but you will have a completely different understanding of investing after reading it.

Droo has raised an important point of why? What I also think about is what would I like to do? Is there a financial reason that I am not doing or experiencing something? I regularly review where I am at and try to change things if I think I am missing out on something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

VanguardFelix posted:

I try to remain open to the possibility of changes in my prognosis but things have been heading the wrong direction. I know the smart thing to do is plan on needing to pay for a long retirement. However the though of temporizing my life away in the hopes of retirement only to miss the mark is irritating. That said I do need to dig up my investing books and get into it again. I'm going to generally leave my 401k managed by Vanguard (unless that is a terrible terrible idea?) and actively invest with excess cashflow from work. Again thanks to everyone offering advice, hopefully things will get more interesting when it turns into a rollercoaster ride of shoddy active investing.

The Vanguard account will be fine. The reason why I recommended The Four Pillars of Investing is to steer you away from active investing. It takes the effort and stress out along with making mistakes. If you active invest only use 5-10% of your total investing capital.

Seriously read the book it will prepare you completely for investing.

• Locked thread