Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tertiary Stresses
Jul 27, 2007
I'm looking at a budget deck for Standard. I'm hoping for a tempo deck with Harness the Storm for card draw shenanigans. This will mainly be for fun on Game Day and I don't need it to be super competitive.

Harness The Storm
3x Harness the Storm
2x Zada, Hedron Grinder
4x Stormchaser Mage
4x Sanguinary Mage
4x Slip Through Space
4x Dragon Fodder
4x Expedite
3x Clutch of Currents
4x Fiery Impulse
4x Titan's Strength
4x Shivan Reef
10x Island
10x Mountain

I think I'm light on creatures. I don't know if adding another Prowess dork, or maybe even Jori En would be good. Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It's an interesting decklist, though making do without Abbot is going to hold you back a little. I'd also run Elusive Spellfist over Sanguinary Mage.

Not sure about inluding Jori En; Harness the Storm does a similar job, though I suppose there's no reason you could just play both.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Temur Prowess Burn

//Lands

4x Cinder Glade
4x Island
6x Mountain
4x Shivan Reef
4x Wandering Fumarole

//Spells

4x Atarka's Command
4x Fiery Impulse
4x Fiery Temper
4x Lightning Axe
4x Geistblast
4x Tormenting Voice

//Creatures

4x Sin Prodder
4x Stormchaser Mage
4x Thing in the Ice

Planeswalkers

2x Chandra, Flamecaller

//Sideboard

4x Dual Shot
4x Roast
1x Volcanic Upheaval
2x Titan's Strength
3x Exquisite Firecraft
1x Negate

The deck is still in an early shell right now (since Tappedout still does not have all the Shadows over Innistrad Cards in place yet), but the general theme of this deck is to do one of four things:

1. Transform a Thing in the Ice. By the time the Awoken Horror flips, the opponent should have already lost enough life to close out in one or two swings.

2. Beef up Stormchaser Mage enough to strike with heavy prowess enabled strikes (Atarka's Command works well there, in a good set up, thats six damage). Having an evasive prowess creature rocks!

3. Wait out long enough for Chandra.

4. If all else fails, burn them in the face!

I'm still trying to sort out my lands. I'll only ever really need one green to fire off the command, otherwise I'd run more mountains and islands. Wandering Fumarole is alright, but quickly loses out later game and I'm hesitant to rely on the pain lands for a burn deck.

The side board needs work. The Roasts are there to counter eldrazi and the twin bolt is if aggressive decks or token decks come into play. Volcanic Upheaval for if I encounter decks working off some of the special lands (like the new abbey or Mirrorpool). titan's strength if I need to play more prowess style, exquisite firecraft if I need to play more burn and negate for a mirror. Thats the bare bones, but I need to tweak it.

For the main deck, I'm torn about what to cut and trim. The Lightning Axes and Tormenting Voices are fantastic enablers for Geistblast and Fiery Temper (which also lets me get two counters off a Thing, or get +2/+2 for the Mage). I tried Avacyn's Judgement, but in my testing it under performed and for the Things and the Mage, you want more spells cast rather than well saturated spells. Sin Prodder is nice, since it enables card advantage while also holding a nice menaced body, I really don't mind losing it to blockers or cheaper removal, getting its effect once or twice is nice and if it can get through, more damage. Chandra is great, but I'm wondering if having her Origins variant would be better. I'm als orunning tests with Goblin Dark-Dwellers in her stead since they enable more spell interaction with the graveyard.

I tested Harness the storm and found it lacking. The geistblast I ended up firing off more often and getting more advantage off of (copying a spell was nice and I didn't have to spend a turn to set up the enchantment, being able to sac geistblast from the graveyard is super helpful). I tried Jori En in the Sin Prodder slot, but the prodders evasivness has been fairly handy so far in testing. The downside to everything is though, there is a lot of good removal right now (Deadweight, Grasp of Darkness, Bolder Salvo, Tar Snare, Reality Hemorrhage and more) that gan get either my Thing or my Sin Prodder.

This will be my first real constructed deck in a year, so getting back into the game, with all the quirks and jank!

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 30, 2016

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Anyone willing to help me spitball a bit?

I'm trying to salvage the aristocrats deck I've been playing for post-rotation using Reaper of Flight Moonsilver instead of Butcher of the Horde, but clearly I can't keep running 4 colors and a lot of my good poo poo is rotating so I'm at kind of a loss as to where to start. I'm between BW, GB, and Abzan.

If I go WB I basically am running BW control with some delirium enablers. Early game of Topplegeist, Zulaport Cutthroat, and Carrier Thrall, possibly with Archangel Avacyn as a board reset/backup plan. Seems like it might be a little light on value creatures and "when a creature dies" effects.

If I go Abzan I'm doing as above, but I get Loam Dryad, Catacomb Sifter, and Cryptolith Rite for some consistency/mana ramp. But the mana base is kind of wonky and I don't know if it would end up being too greedy.

If I go GB, I'm dropping Reaper and just going 4x Nantuko Husk with Rogue's Passage to push it through late game. I've seen a couple GB lists that look okay but they seem kind of fragile; lots of things that die to a stiff breeze so I'd either need to run a lot of fast removal or I'm gonna be sunk.

Deck building from scratch is hard, guys. :(

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Temur Prowess Burn

//Lands

4x Cinder Glade
4x Island
6x Mountain
4x Shivan Reef
4x Wandering Fumarole

//Spells

4x Atarka's Command
4x Fiery Impulse
4x Fiery Temper
4x Lightning Axe
4x Geistblast
4x Tormenting Voice

//Creatures

4x Sin Prodder
4x Stormchaser Mage
4x Thing in the Ice

Planeswalkers

2x Chandra, Flamecaller

//Sideboard

4x Dual Shot
4x Roast
1x Volcanic Upheaval
2x Titan's Strength
3x Exquisite Firecraft
1x Negate

The deck is still in an early shell right now (since Tappedout still does not have all the Shadows over Innistrad Cards in place yet), but the general theme of this deck is to do one of four things:

1. Transform a Thing in the Ice. By the time the Awoken Horror flips, the opponent should have already lost enough life to close out in one or two swings.

2. Beef up Stormchaser Mage enough to strike with heavy prowess enabled strikes (Atarka's Command works well there, in a good set up, thats six damage). Having an evasive prowess creature rocks!

3. Wait out long enough for Chandra.

4. If all else fails, burn them in the face!

I'm still trying to sort out my lands. I'll only ever really need one green to fire off the command, otherwise I'd run more mountains and islands. Wandering Fumarole is alright, but quickly loses out later game and I'm hesitant to rely on the pain lands for a burn deck.

The side board needs work. The Roasts are there to counter eldrazi and the twin bolt is if aggressive decks or token decks come into play. Volcanic Upheaval for if I encounter decks working off some of the special lands (like the new abbey or Mirrorpool). titan's strength if I need to play more prowess style, exquisite firecraft if I need to play more burn and negate for a mirror. Thats the bare bones, but I need to tweak it.

For the main deck, I'm torn about what to cut and trim. The Lightning Axes and Tormenting Voices are fantastic enablers for Geistblast and Fiery Temper (which also lets me get two counters off a Thing, or get +2/+2 for the Mage). I tried Avacyn's Judgement, but in my testing it under performed and for the Things and the Mage, you want more spells cast rather than well saturated spells. Sin Prodder is nice, since it enables card advantage while also holding a nice menaced body, I really don't mind losing it to blockers or cheaper removal, getting its effect once or twice is nice and if it can get through, more damage. Chandra is great, but I'm wondering if having her Origins variant would be better. I'm als orunning tests with Goblin Dark-Dwellers in her stead since they enable more spell interaction with the graveyard.

I tested Harness the storm and found it lacking. The geistblast I ended up firing off more often and getting more advantage off of (copying a spell was nice and I didn't have to spend a turn to set up the enchantment, being able to sac geistblast from the graveyard is super helpful). I tried Jori En in the Sin Prodder slot, but the prodders evasivness has been fairly handy so far in testing. The downside to everything is though, there is a lot of good removal right now (Deadweight, Grasp of Darkness, Bolder Salvo, Tar Snare, Reality Hemorrhage and more) that gan get either my Thing or my Sin Prodder.

This will be my first real constructed deck in a year, so getting back into the game, with all the quirks and jank!

With how much removal is coming into this next rotation I don't think Thing in the Ice is going to be a valuable win condition unless it has haste.
I think the direction Prowess has to go is main decking dispels, and I don't know if the deck can carry on post Treasure Cruise, but I am going to try.
Temur's battle rage is being replaced with a 3 mana +1/+1 double strike, so at least we still have that for the 13+ swing with titan's strength. I also tried Chandra in my builds, and she was just too slow. I replaced her with Goblin Dark-Dwellers to return either a double strike, titan's strength, or a roast.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I'm trying to put together an Abzan Displacer Combo/Reanimator deck for this new standard. The idea is to assemble the Zulaport/Displacer/Monitor infinite combo. I toyed around with it a little before rotation, and it did ok as an fnm deck. Ever After is exciting though, because being able to reanimate 2/3 of the combo if you have the other 1/3 in play or in hand seems solid and is a good backup plan for when your creatures die before the combo is assembled. Linvala and Green Warden are there for value shenanigans with Eldrazi Displacer. Are there any other good ETB Creatures to run?

4 Zulaport Cutthroat
4 Eldrazi Displacer
3 Brood Monitor
1 Green Warden of Murasa
1 Linvala the Preserver
2 Mindrack Demon
3 Deathcap Cultivator
2 Den Protector
3 Catacomb Sifter

4 Gather the Pact
2 Corpse Churn
2 Ruinous Path
2 Languish
2 Ever After
2 Anguished Unmaking

3 Hissing Quagmire
3 Canopy Vista
2 Fortified Village
4 Llanowar Wastes
4 Caves of Koilos
1 Shambling Vents
3 Swamp
3 Forest
1 Plains

Sideboard
4 Duress
1 Tooth Collector
1 Silkwrap
1 Infinite Obliteration
2 Painful Truths
2 Fleshbag Marauder
2 Dead Weight
1 Languish
2 Topplegeist

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Since you already have some colorless mana in place to activate the Displacer, Thought-Knot Seer is a hell of a good target for flickering. You give your opponent a card draw, sure, but if it's a basic land and the card you exile is a win condition then you're all set. It's also just a decent creature in general. Aside from that, Siege Rhino is the only other really good target in Abzan that's not already in your list and it's rotating, soooo

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Would Zada plus Confront the Unknown result in Investigate x number of creatures you control and a staircasing amount of +1/+1 to target creature effects? I am considering an Inspector Zada deck.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't see why not. Zada would end up getting the biggest boost.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

NofrikinfuN posted:

I am considering an Inspector Zada deck.

Zada of the Yard.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Izzet Prowess

So I fiddled more with that burn deck, and like others pointed out, sadly Thing died too much before it could go off reliably and Geistblast was not as useful as I thought it would be. Pretty much what did the main body of work in the deck was Stormchaser Mage when it got pumped. So I've redone the shell to become more of a prowess deck.

Creature (15)

4x Abbot of Keral Keep
2x Elusive Spellfist
3x Insolent Neonate
4x Stormchaser Mage
2x Zada, Hedron Grinder

Instant (18)
2x Dispel
4x Expedite
2x Fiery Impulse
4x Fiery Temper
2x Just the Wind
4x Titan's Strength

Sorcery (8)
4x Slip Through Space
4x Tormenting Voice

5x Island
8x Mountain
4x Shivan Reef
2x Wandering Fumarole

Sideboard (15)
4x Dual Shot
4x Roast
1x Volcanic Upheaval
2x Titan's Strength
3x Exquisite Firecraft
1x Negate

Abbot acts as a mid to late game possible finisher, when I have up to 5 mana on the board, with its ability I can pretty much top deck any spell in my deck and enable prowess. Spellfist is there as a quasi-prowess creature that gains evasion when pump and removal spells are cast. The neonate acts as a good sac outlet for Fiery Temper and Just the Wind (and as something I can spend to get a card). Zada acts as an end game, each spell that targets him pumps other creatures, which in turn activates prowess more. I've chained 1 titan's strength into 2 storm chaser mages for 12 damage one time!

Expedite and Slip Through space give me more card advantage with some added benefit while also enabling prowess. Tormenting voice acts as card advantage and benefits with some of the madness cards.

Just the Wind and Fiery Temper give cheap removal with prowess ennoblement, while dispel acts as a cheap shield to protect my creatures during the attack (stopping instant removal).

Thats the shell, I still need to do a lot of work, I can't help but feel like I don''t have optimal card numbers yet and I can't help but feel this isn't quite as explosive as it could be yet. I'm open to any ideas for improvements!

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Rush of Adrenaline is pretty good as additional Titan's Strengths. I've also come to really like Fevered Visions.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I don't think the copies Zada makes trigger Prowess since the wording is cast and he creates copies. At least, it didn't trigger Young Pyromancer or Guttersnipe in a deck I was testing online. Effects like Cipher do work because they are worded specifically as casting the copy, rather than just adding copies to the stack.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

NofrikinfuN posted:

I don't think the copies Zada makes trigger Prowess since the wording is cast and he creates copies. At least, it didn't trigger Young Pyromancer or Guttersnipe in a deck I was testing online. Effects like Cipher do work because they are worded specifically as casting the copy, rather than just adding copies to the stack.

Looking at judgig rules, you are right, it would not trigger. Darn.

Even with that, would Zada be alright in this kind of deck or should I swap?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Izzet Prowess

So I fiddled more with that burn deck, and like others pointed out, sadly Thing died too much before it could go off reliably and Geistblast was not as useful as I thought it would be. Pretty much what did the main body of work in the deck was Stormchaser Mage when it got pumped. So I've redone the shell to become more of a prowess deck.

Creature (15)

4x Abbot of Keral Keep
2x Elusive Spellfist
3x Insolent Neonate
4x Stormchaser Mage
2x Zada, Hedron Grinder

Instant (18)
2x Dispel
4x Expedite
2x Fiery Impulse
4x Fiery Temper
2x Just the Wind
4x Titan's Strength

Sorcery (8)
4x Slip Through Space
4x Tormenting Voice

5x Island
8x Mountain
4x Shivan Reef
2x Wandering Fumarole

Sideboard (15)
4x Dual Shot
4x Roast
1x Volcanic Upheaval
2x Titan's Strength
3x Exquisite Firecraft
1x Negate

Abbot acts as a mid to late game possible finisher, when I have up to 5 mana on the board, with its ability I can pretty much top deck any spell in my deck and enable prowess. Spellfist is there as a quasi-prowess creature that gains evasion when pump and removal spells are cast. The neonate acts as a good sac outlet for Fiery Temper and Just the Wind (and as something I can spend to get a card). Zada acts as an end game, each spell that targets him pumps other creatures, which in turn activates prowess more. I've chained 1 titan's strength into 2 storm chaser mages for 12 damage one time!

Expedite and Slip Through space give me more card advantage with some added benefit while also enabling prowess. Tormenting voice acts as card advantage and benefits with some of the madness cards.

Just the Wind and Fiery Temper give cheap removal with prowess ennoblement, while dispel acts as a cheap shield to protect my creatures during the attack (stopping instant removal).

Thats the shell, I still need to do a lot of work, I can't help but feel like I don''t have optimal card numbers yet and I can't help but feel this isn't quite as explosive as it could be yet. I'm open to any ideas for improvements!

FYI you have 4 Titan Strength's in the mainboard and you have another 2 in the side

Not sure if that's a typo or if you didn't notice

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Looking at judgig rules, you are right, it would not trigger. Darn.

Even with that, would Zada be alright in this kind of deck or should I swap?

He is still really good at giving everyone single use pump spells. Also, you have Expedite and Slip Through Space, which would make him an excellent way to fill your hand. I'd use him, but my advice isn't going to win tournaments.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

80s James Hetfield posted:

FYI you have 4 Titan Strength's in the mainboard and you have another 2 in the side

Not sure if that's a typo or if you didn't notice

Whoops, that is a typo.

NofrikinfuN posted:

He is still really good at giving everyone single use pump spells. Also, you have Expedite and Slip Through Space, which would make him an excellent way to fill your hand. I'd use him, but my advice isn't going to win tournaments.

Thanks for the input!

One thing I've noticed play testing a bit one is that despite the strength of the pumps and the prowess creatures, this deck has problems with consistency. Some games, I can explode by the urn 4 other times it takes until turn 8 or 9 to really get going. I think it's in part on me( I get hesitant to spend a card to get a card), but I'm still feeling like something is missing.

Per Stinkles's reccomendation I'm trying Feaveree visions. So far it's alright, but I worry that overtime the card advantage my for gets with outpace the 2 life he pays each turn.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Taking this WU Tempo deck to FNM next week. White weenie is decent but splashing for blue gives access to Ojutai/O-Command/Stratus Dancer/Counter Spells. The creature that seems like a headache to deal with in Standard is Reality Smasher. Thankfully white's removal is mostly abilities rather than spells.

Deck: UW Tempo

//Lands
4 Island
13 Plains
4 Port Town
4 Prairie Stream

//Spells
4 Always Watching
2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
1 Ojutai's Command
2 Silkwrap
1 Stasis Snare

//Creatures
3 Archangel Avacyn
4 Archangel of Tithes
3 Dragonlord Ojutai
4 Hidden Dragonslayer
4 Knight of the White Orchid
4 Reflector Mage
3 Stratus Dancer

//Sideboard
2 Negate
1 Dispel
2 Stasis Snare
1 Silkwrap
4 Surge of Righteousness
3 Hallowed Moonlight
2 Ojutai's Command

Display deck statistics

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 1, 2016

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
So after fiddling with the Prowess deck for a bit and drawing a blank, I went netdecking and found an interesting deck and made some changes per the comments on its page.

[Tutelage Deck [/b]

With so much removal still in standard, to quote Jaxis the deck's creator, this format seems ripe for an enchantment heavy deck with few creatures. While mill decks are usually pretty bad, there seems to be enough enablers with recent SOI cards combine with Sphinx's tutelage to make something viable.

//Enchantment (23)
4x Oath of Jace
3x Pacifism
3x Sigil of the Empty Throne
4x Sphinx's Tutelage
2x Starfield of Nyx
4x Stasis Snare
3x Vessel of Paramnesia

//Instant (3)
3x Immolating Glare

//Creature (3)
3x Forgotten Creation

//Land (25)
4x Blighted Cataract
4x Evolving Wilds
4x Island
5x Plains
4x Port Town
4x Prairie Stream

//Sorcery (6)
3x Planar Outburst
3x Startled Awake

The Original Deck, I Shamelessly Copied and Tweeked!

With so much card draw, you can mill multiple cards from an opponents deck. with cheap enchantments that function as removal you can keep a number of creatures from smacking you in the face.

To quote the origional decks maker:

Jaxis posted:

WHY THIS DECK?

The ratio of enchantments to enchantment hate in the current Standard. Dromoka's Command is staying in, and it doesn't target enchantments. We will have to worry about a couple of new cards that do, but the balance is definitely in favor of an enchantment-heavy deck.

In contrast, creature hate in Standard is very real. There are board wipes aplenty, including Languish and Planar Outburst. Having zero creatures in the deck (unless you count Persistent Nightmare Flip, which can't be countered) makes all these cards effectively dead. The more dead draws our opponent has, the better for us.

MAIN BOARD

Spinx's Tutelage : Every time you draw a card (and there's lots of drawing to be had here), you mill your opponent for 2, and if they are both nonland cards that share a color, they get hit again. Some cards in the deck will allow for 6 cards to be milled, even if none of them share a color.

Oath of Jace; Pore Over the Pages : Both allow you to draw 3 and both have a discard element. Helps for filtering, and mills 6 if Tutelage is out.

Starfield of Nyx : Mostly to fetch Enchantments from the graveyard. If nothing else, you can fetch Oath of Jace for more drawing/milling without having to cast anything. Getting an army of enchantment creatures is a bonus, but not one this deck is looking for.

Startled Awake Flip : Technically a non-creature, but having the opportunity to bring it back as a skulking Persistent Nightmare Flip is truly scary. With all the milling our Tutelage is going to do, I expect this to be a finisher without having to rely on Nightmare shenanigans.

Vessel of Paramnesia : Milling 3 for 3 and drawing a card isn't optimal, but could be interesting. This is mostly here for an early-game sacrificial lamb against Dromoka's Command, if we don't want to sacrifice a Pacifism or Silkwrap.

SIDE BOARD

Negate, Ojutai's Command : Different counters for different situations. Negate will protect our enchantments from counter/hate magic and Command will protect from endgame bombs like Ulamog and Avacyn... hopefully.

Thing in the Ice Flip : Board wiping potential against indestructible creatures, where Planar Outburst won't get the job done.

What I changed was taking out the pour over pages to put in a Forgotten Creation. With the ability to at will empty your hand, combine with the tutelage, this allows for some potent combo's to occur.

I also swapped out the Silkwraps for Immolating Glare for better protection across the game. While I lose some enchantment, for instant speed removal that destroys attacks I felt it was worth it. I also put in the Sigil of the Empty Throne too, since with multiple thrones and enchantments, it possibly allows for a late game boarding of multiple angels off a couple enchantments. To bring that in, I took out the suppression bonds.

So far, at least Gold Fishing, this plays fairly consistently and honestly, having a chance to maybe viably mill someone (though the angels act more as a consistent finisher), makes my inner child yell for joy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
For a while I've had a hankering to play BG in Modern, and after looking at my collection I realized I have the skeleton of some sort of Junk build-

Deck: Junk Midrange

//Lands
3 Forest
1 Gavony Township
1 Godless Shrine
3 Marsh Flats
4 Overgrown Tomb
3 Plains
1 Stirring Wildwood
1 Sunpetal Grove
3 Swamp
1 Temple Garden
1 Windswept Heath
2 Woodland Cemetery

//Spells
3 Abrupt Decay
1 Garruk Wildspeaker
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Lingering Souls
3 Night's Whisper
4 Path to Exile

//Creatures
4 Birds of Paradise
3 Kitchen Finks
4 Loxodon Smiter
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Siege Rhino
1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang

//Sideboard
2 Dismember
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Kitchen Finks
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
1 Maelstrom Pulse
2 Naturalize
1 Spellskite
2 Stony Silence
2 Zealous Persecution
1 Abrupt Decay

Display deck statistics

It's somewhat un-optimized because I tried to incorporate a lot of what I already have (particularly in the mana base and the random 1-ofs), but at the same time I like what I'm seeing and I'm most of the way to this already (only need the Finks and a couple Decays, which I should have picked up a long time ago anyway). Any thoughts? Most of my deckbuilding efforts go into silly rogue decks, I don't know how to properly build a "normal" deck.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

My BW stuff won't arrive in time for a standard PPTQ next weekend, so I think I'm playing BR dragons. Is there anything inexpensive from SOI I should look to get in there? I might swing by a singles dealer.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

BizarroAzrael posted:

My BW stuff won't arrive in time for a standard PPTQ next weekend, so I think I'm playing BR dragons. Is there anything inexpensive from SOI I should look to get in there? I might swing by a singles dealer.

To the Slaughter is pretty good at killing Ojutai

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

ThePeavstenator posted:

To the Slaughter is pretty good at killing Ojutai

Already awaiting a playset from the Czech Republic or something, but I can probably grab a couple for the sideboard. I do already have Foul-Tongue Invocations though, but TtS's Delirium bonus is a good plus.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Threadnote: New thread later in the week. Goodbye easy four color manabases. Hello potentially interesting standard.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Threadnote: New thread later in the week. Goodbye easy four color manabases. Hello potentially interesting standard.
Easy 4 color mana bases were fun and interesting. :colbert: I'm gonna miss multicolor fun times and probably stop playing when we eventually swing the pendulum back to "two colors at most" decks.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

Easy 4 color mana bases were fun and interesting. :colbert: I'm gonna miss multicolor fun times and probably stop playing when we eventually swing the pendulum back to "two colors at most" decks.

good

fyad b*tch

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

Hi I'm a bad player that swings in and out of Magic and can't afford $20 minimum mana bases to make decks. Nice to meet you!

Seriously though, lands are supposed to be the easiest part to get. :negative:

Bring back Return to Ravnica, aka the best block ever.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

NofrikinfuN posted:

Bring back Return to Ravnica, aka the best block ever.

Guys

Look how wrong this is

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

NofrikinfuN posted:

Hi I'm a bad player that swings in and out of Magic and can't afford $20 minimum mana bases to make decks. Nice to meet you!
I am also a bad player who just happens to have stupidly good luck when it comes to trading.

Honestly I'd be okay with them having a duel decks type thing that is just a playset of each dual land of a set. I totally agree that a mana base should never cost more than $20.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

stinkles1112 posted:

Guys

Look how wrong this is

Mazes End was the best standard deck, he's right.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

I am also a bad player who just happens to have stupidly good luck when it comes to trading.

Honestly I'd be okay with them having a duel decks type thing that is just a playset of each dual land of a set. I totally agree that a mana base should never cost more than $20.

Yeah, it would be nice if the dual lands and the like were easier to pickup. That's one thing I really dug about the RtR block. I know I'm at a disadvantage with taplands over painlands/fetchlands/whatever but it made it really easy to buy into dual lands.

stinkles1112 posted:

Guys

Look how wrong this is

I stand by my statement. RtR has some of the best common/uncommon pools of any set. I got full sets of guild gates, guild mages, charms and dabbled in decks made out of just about every guild mechanic. For a guy that builds a ton of durdley budget decks that block was a huge value!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Definitely gonna try to keep playing b/u aristocrats in standard. Adding relentless dead and prized amalgam to replace rotating cards. Losing a resilient 2 power 1 drop feels bad.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I've been thinking about jumping back into standard with this deck based on Ever After. Basically a lot of card draw and discard to put large, difficult to cast creatures into the graveyard and find Ever After to go off. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Creatures:

Discard outlets

4 Heir of Falkenrath
4 Pale Rider of Trostad
2 Reckless Scholar
2 Elusive Tormentor
2 Forgotten Creation

Discard targets

3 Prized Amalgam (a free creature when you use Ever After to target other creatures)
2 Sidisi, Undead Vizier (tutors for more Ever After)
1 Kozilek, the Great Distortion
1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
1 Alhammarret, High Arbiter
1 Sphinx of the Final Word
1 Void Winnower

Card draw and discard:

3 Artificer's Epiphany
3 Catalog
2 Oath of Jace

And of course:

4 Ever After

Land:

4 Choked Estuary
2 Submerged Boneyard
7 Island
9 Swamp
1 Westvale Abbey

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Kinda wanna turn my UR Jace-less Prowess into something like this post-SOI release:

4 Stormchaser Mage
4 Elusive Spellfist
3 Sanguinary Mage
4 Niblis of Dusk
3 Aberrant Researcher

4 Fiery Impulse
4 Titan's Strength
4 Burn from Within
4 Rush of Adrenaline
3 Send To Sleep

4 Shivan Reef
3 Wandering Fumarole
9 Mountain
8 Island

I really wanna play Aberrant Researcher, and it seems to make sense as a closer in something like this, I think? At the very least it seems fun.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 5, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Yawgmoth posted:

Well it is becoming more obvious that we are already at "two colors at most" decks. Cya

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Yawgmoth posted:

Look at this horrible opinion.

I get the fun in having perfect mana bases, but most people I've talked to at FNM levels are kinda sick of being driven into play Jace or play Eldrazi.

I'm in the Eldrazi camp. I ran blue Eldrazi to 3-1 last week (lost hard to G/W)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mezzanon posted:

Definitely gonna try to keep playing b/u aristocrats in standard. Adding relentless dead and prized amalgam to replace rotating cards. Losing a resilient 2 power 1 drop feels bad.

Anybody have any suggestions?
What's the list look like right now?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Iucounu posted:

I've been thinking about jumping back into standard with this deck based on Ever After. Basically a lot of card draw and discard to put large, difficult to cast creatures into the graveyard and find Ever After to go off. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Creatures:

Discard outlets

4 Heir of Falkenrath
4 Pale Rider of Trostad
2 Reckless Scholar
2 Elusive Tormentor
2 Forgotten Creation

Discard targets

3 Prized Amalgam (a free creature when you use Ever After to target other creatures)
2 Sidisi, Undead Vizier (tutors for more Ever After)
1 Kozilek, the Great Distortion
1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
1 Alhammarret, High Arbiter
1 Sphinx of the Final Word
1 Void Winnower

Card draw and discard:

3 Artificer's Epiphany
3 Catalog
2 Oath of Jace

And of course:

4 Ever After

Land:

4 Choked Estuary
2 Submerged Boneyard
7 Island
9 Swamp
1 Westvale Abbey

I feel like you're running too many cheap, mana-efficient creatures and not enough interaction and card advantage if you really want to build around Ever After.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Can I be competitive with a CoCo deck that isn't running blue, or at least isn't running Origins Jace? Considering GW or WB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

BizarroAzrael posted:

Can I be competitive with a CoCo deck that isn't running blue, or at least isn't running Origins Jace? Considering GW or WB.

Yes, origins Jace is going to get a lot worse after rotation. He's still a great card, he just won't be an auto-include in every blue deck.

E: The reason he was in CoCo decks before was because decks needed to grind out the long game to win.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 6, 2016

• Locked thread