Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm not sure about the Temur Splash. You're basically trading Treasure Cruise for Become Immense and turning into a Totally-Not-Atarka deck that probably doesn't execute Atarka's gameplan as well as the traditional build, but without stuff like Treasure Cruise I just don't think Prowess has the gas to go the distance. A lot of your damage comes from chaining out cheap spells, and giving up so much of your card draw is going to make it much harder to set that up.

You also definitely want to be running a shitload of Dispel in the sideboard. The other big thing Blue brings to the table aside from card draw is countermagic to protect your pump spells. Atarka decks have a hard time playing the combo after sideboarding because they get blown out by spot removal, but a Dispel in hand lets you happily stack pump spells into disruption and this is one of the primary reasons to play the deck. You're also just going to need them to protect your creatures in general, since you can't win the game without them but you don't run very many.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

I know, everyone says it's cheaper, but it just can't be.

People say it's cheaper than standard because six months from now your cards will still have trade value, and you won't have to buy a ton of new stuff. The inital investment is about the same at the moment.

Turtlicious posted:

Also, everyone everywhere plays aggro. What's a hard counter for that?

Bolt, Pyroclasm and Kitchen Finks are probably the most popular. I built Skred to get into modern because it's cheap, and it has a ton of game against aggro and midrange creature decks. Sucks against combo and eldrazi though. Some guy on reddit posted a great guide here and I posted a blood moon-less version in this thread if you check my post history.

The list in the primer is about $120 if you take out the blood moons and replace them with Crumble To Dust.

edit: let me know if you want any more tips, the list i posted is pretty bad and the guy from reddit disagrees with a lot of his own choices in the primer

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 15, 2016

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
I'll just go back to playing atarka red. Can't afford Jace. :negative:

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
As someone who has never Moderned before, someone tell me how to make a bad deck less bad. Or if it's a bad plan tell me to abandon it and play a real deck.

Deck: Inverter of Stupidity

//Lands
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Eldrazi Temple
4 Eye of Ugin
2 Ghost Quarter
2 Island
4 Polluted Delta
2 Swamp
2 Watery Grave

//Spells
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Nihil Spellbomb
4 Relic of Progenitus
4 Remand
2 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
2 Doomed Necromancer
4 Inverter of Truth
4 Laboratory Maniac
4 Spellskite
4 Thought-Knot Seer

Display deck statistics

Thank you, may God bless you all, and may God bless these United States of America.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Alris posted:

Thank you, may God bless you all, and may God bless these United States of America.

You're Australian you heathen.

Also Doomed Necromancer is lovely.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
The combo looks tough to actually assemble.

blow up graveyards, play inverter and lab maniac, hoping they don't have removal for the lab maniac?

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 17, 2016

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Molybdenum posted:

The combo looks tough to actually assemble.

blow up graveyards, play inverter and lab maniac, hoping they don't have removal for the lab maniac?
I chatted with him, basically said the same thing. Told him Kira, Great Glass Spinner would be a much better include than Doomed Necromancer since you can use it to protect your combo, along-side stuff like Remand.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
How do you normally go about deciding how much of a certain color of mana to use? I'm just eyeballing the amount of mana costs in my decks and just :shrug:ing my way through it. For instance, I just made this B/W Lifegain deck to play some casual, for funsies Standard games:

quote:

4 Serene Steward
4 Vampire Envoy
4 Malakir Familiar
4 Drana’s Emissary
4 Cliffhaven Vampire

1 Ob Nixilis Reignited

3 Tandem Tactics
4 Dazzling Reflection
4 Transgress the Mind
2 Ruinous Path
2 Remorseless Punishment

12 Plains
12 Swamps

And obviously just split my mana down the middle. I went 24 since my curve is expensive-ish and this is a slow deck that I don't wanna get mana-hosed on. Is there some braindead formula I should use to figure out how much of one I should use over the other, or is it just figure it out through testing?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Soul Glo posted:

How do you normally go about deciding how much of a certain color of mana to use? I'm just eyeballing the amount of mana costs in my decks and just :shrug:ing my way through it. For instance, I just made this B/W Lifegain deck to play some casual, for funsies Standard games:

And obviously just split my mana down the middle. I went 24 since my curve is expensive-ish and this is a slow deck that I don't wanna get mana-hosed on. Is there some braindead formula I should use to figure out how much of one I should use over the other, or is it just figure it out through testing?

A pretty common standard practice is to use total mana symbols in casting costs and activated abilities, then use a ratio to determine the split (assuming you know how many lands you are running).

You have: 23 white pips (counting +1 W for each Steward trigger), and 30 black pips. With 24 lands that's roughly an 11 Plains / 13 Swamp split. Other considerations are typically how many double color spells you want to be casting on curve (and how low that curve is). Given you have no double white and 5 double black spells (2 @ 3 CMC and 3 @ 5 CMC) you might even favor black more heavily in your base to ensure you can cast those spells on time. A 10 Plains / 14 Swamp or 9 Plains / 15 Swamp split might better favor you hitting Ruinous Path on time for T3, but even a 50/50 split should have you hitting double black by T5.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
"Oh no Boco's gonna post the link to the Frank Karsten article again"
http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/frank-analysis-how-many-colored-mana-sources-do-you-need-to-consistently-cast-your-spells/

Basically you want 14 for turn 1 of something, like 18-20 for double symbols.

You definitely want to get some dual lands in there if you can. Scoured Barrens is a common and if you don't do anything else you definitely want to run 4 of that. Caves of Koilos are about $2 each so I'd also recommend those if you want to make your deck a bit more consistent. Scoured Barrens has lifegain built in as well. Shambling Vent would also be great if you want to spend a bit.

Every land that can do both colors gets you closer to being able to cast your spells every game. You could even use Nomad Outpost as a WB tap land if you don't want to spend any money, or Orzhov Guildgate if your playgroup isn't just using Standard cards. Isolated Chapel is a good $3 casual choice, but again that's not a Standard card.

For yours I'd say try to get to 18 black (for Ruinous Path) and then fill the rest with white, because you want to be able to activate the Steward even when casting a white spell so having above 13 is ideal. 24 is probably about right on the land count for hitting a lot of 3s and 4s, maybe go to 25 if you are playing and it seems a little short.

So for 24 lands I guess I'd say do

4 Scoured Barrens
3 Nomad Outpost/Orzhov Guildgate
9 Swamp
8 Plains

Or

4 Scoured Barrens
4 Caves of Koilos
9 Swamp
7 Plains

The article can help you figure out the details you want to work towards, hope this helps!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
e: ^^^ I will definitely check that article out as well, appreciate it. ^^^

Have to dig into my land box and see what duals I own, but I don't think I have any B/W. If I have as much fun playing the deck as I think I will (I think it will be a pretty fun way to annoy people, slowly squeezing their life out and destroying creatures while Malakir Familiar dumps on them), then I'll dump a few more bucks into it.

Mikujin posted:

A pretty common standard practice is to use total mana symbols in casting costs and activated abilities, then use a ratio to determine the split (assuming you know how many lands you are running).

You have: 23 white pips (counting +1 W for each Steward trigger), and 30 black pips. With 24 lands that's roughly an 11 Plains / 13 Swamp split. Other considerations are typically how many double color spells you want to be casting on curve (and how low that curve is). Given you have no double white and 5 double black spells (2 @ 3 CMC and 3 @ 5 CMC) you might even favor black more heavily in your base to ensure you can cast those spells on time. A 10 Plains / 14 Swamp or 9 Plains / 15 Swamp split might better favor you hitting Ruinous Path on time for T3, but even a 50/50 split should have you hitting double black by T5.

Sweet, that sounds easy enough. I'll toss a Plains for a Swamp and if I find myself unable to hit my double blacks lean even harder to that side. Thanks.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 21, 2016

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Alris posted:

As someone who has never Moderned before, someone tell me how to make a bad deck less bad. Or if it's a bad plan tell me to abandon it and play a real deck.

Deck: Inverter of Stupidity

Thought Scour? :shrug:

wiskibubbles
Nov 1, 2013
Alright Last FNM a buddy of mine walked in and handed me a Standard deck to play. It was quite fun but it needs some work. I haven't seen much like on top8 but I haven't googled anything.

The deck was a a control core based around Crushing Tentacles !

The core of the list is

4x Crushing Tentacles
4x Bribers Purse
4x Knight of the White Orchid
4x Reflector Mages
4x Wall of Resurgance

It was one hell of a fun deck to play but I only went 2-2 because of never playing the list before.

Anyone got and ideas to make the deck better and help hammer out a better 75

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Just made this W/B standard brew around my favorite card in OGW: Eldrazi Displacer. Any comments or suggestions?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/21-02-16-blink-and-youll-miss-it/

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Fear not, friends, for I have solved the Modern format and the answer to the Eldrazi Menace:

Deck: Dissolution of Eternity's Last Ride

//Main
4 Ghostly Prison
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Blood Moon
4 Wrath of God
4 Oblivion Ring
4 Ensnaring Bridge
3 Runed Halo
3 Idyllic Tutor
3 Assemble the Legion
1 Worship
1 Ajani Vengeant
4 Temple of Triumph
1 Mistveil Plains
14 Plains
3 Clifftop Retreat
3 Sacred Foundry

//Sideboard
4 Stony Silence
3 Rest in Peace
4 Timely Reinforcements
4 Suppression Field

Display deck statistics

the mana base is just ported from the UW version I used to run, cutting the basic island and the Nykthos for two more plains. Possible that I want some New Benalia's, but this seems fine to me. Notably, I've dropped Leyline of Sanctity completely. In the current meta, Burn is around a lot and of course it is very good there, but Halo, 4 Timely's, and Chalcie should do the trick. It's possible the Suppression Field is bad enough without twin, but of course it is very good against Affinity and Infect.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Just made this W/B standard brew around my favorite card in OGW: Eldrazi Displacer. Any comments or suggestions?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/21-02-16-blink-and-youll-miss-it/

Each of your combos is assuming that you have 6 mana that you don't have any other business using, whether across two turns or on the same turn. It's also assuming your opponent isn't casting anything or pressuring your life total. It's durdling in a bubble.

I think the time for Displacer (one of my favorite build-arounds) isn't now, but rather after rotation. Right now, you can put as many colors and strategies into your deck as you'd like. This means people just seem to always have removal AND pressure in their deck on two different axes. My favorite "combo" for Displacer has been using him and Void Grafter to shut off all targeted removal, but even that doesn't account for a Siege Rhino deck. Displacer will be better once there are more efficient targets for him and one other cards as a board presence, and not him and two other cards.

All that said, there's at least a game plan put into your combos. If it ever comes together, it absolves you of playing any removal in your deck. But it also means once you get the combination out, you aren't developing your board further. I feel like the single best combination for Displacer at the moment is with Reflector Mage and it seems like that would be a better build-around plan. So... Esper?

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Main
9 Forest
6 Plains
1 Wastes
1 Fertile Thicket
2 Lead by Example
2 Wall of Resurgence
2 Natural Connection
1 Captain's Claws
1 Expedition Raptor
1 Searing Light
1 Plummet
1 Ondu War Cleric
1 Snapping Gnarlid
1 Seek the Wilds
1 Scion Summoner
1 Stalking Drone
1 Bone Saw
1 Retreat to Kazandu
1 Shoulder to Shoulder
1 Elemental Uprising
1 Crumbling Vestige
1 Broodhunter Wurm
1 Mighty Leap
1 Vines of the Recluse

Display deck statistics
I made a deck today at a draft, and was wanting to pump it into a standard deck, the idea was to dump and pump weenies in G/W. I also drew a Nissa, VoZ in my prize pack, that I would like to use.

Any help or criticism would be appreciated.

numerrik fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 29, 2016

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

AgentSythe posted:

Fear not, friends, for I have solved the Modern format and the answer to the Eldrazi Menace:

Deck: Dissolution of Eternity's Last Ride

//Main
4 Ghostly Prison
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Blood Moon
4 Wrath of God
4 Oblivion Ring
4 Ensnaring Bridge
3 Runed Halo
3 Idyllic Tutor
3 Assemble the Legion
1 Worship
1 Ajani Vengeant
4 Temple of Triumph
1 Mistveil Plains
14 Plains
3 Clifftop Retreat
3 Sacred Foundry

//Sideboard
4 Stony Silence
3 Rest in Peace
4 Timely Reinforcements
4 Suppression Field

Display deck statistics

the mana base is just ported from the UW version I used to run, cutting the basic island and the Nykthos for two more plains. Possible that I want some New Benalia's, but this seems fine to me. Notably, I've dropped Leyline of Sanctity completely. In the current meta, Burn is around a lot and of course it is very good there, but Halo, 4 Timely's, and Chalcie should do the trick. It's possible the Suppression Field is bad enough without twin, but of course it is very good against Affinity and Infect.

My plan vs eldrazi is also to cast worship and then put a 1/1 token into play on turn 6.

Edit: Real criticism: Ensnaring Bridge is real bad when you have a bunch of expensive spells and no way to get them out of your hand.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 29, 2016

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

little munchkin posted:

My plan vs eldrazi is also to cast worship and then put a 1/1 token into play on turn 6.

Edit: Real criticism: Ensnaring Bridge is real bad when you have a bunch of expensive spells and no way to get them out of your hand.

Yeah the Worship should probably be a Form of the Dragon. The UW version of this deck empties its hand well enough. And by "empties" I mean "makes it so the big fatsos that Eldrazi decks pump out cannot attack you." The Halos, Wraths, and Ghostly prisons do pretty good work at slowing things down

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Is there a fun but real deck in this standard?

We've had murdergoats, maze's end turbofog, even the hero's blade decks, but it just feels like there's nothinb good in standard right now, and there's a pptq I'll be playing in next weekend.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

mehall posted:

We've had murdergoats, maze's end turbofog, even the hero's blade decks, but it just feels like there's nothinb good in standard right now, and there's a pptq I'll be playing in next weekend.

Jeskai Ascendancy Combo still exists buy isn't very playable. 4 Color Rally is pretty much it as far as I can tell.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mehall posted:

If you are looking for fun, interesting decks, SaffronOlive's Against the Odds series is where you can find weird decks that may be able to work. There are different Standard and Modern decks he does, about once a week.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/search?tag=Against+the+Odds

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

If you are looking for fun, interesting decks, SaffronOlive's Against the Odds series is where you can find weird decks that may be able to work. There are different Standard and Modern decks he does, about once a week.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/search?tag=Against+the+Odds

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on Seth's stuff for months now, but even with that I'm not mad about any deck. I'm currently playing a variation of the W/B eldrazi deck.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The budget magic series is probably more competitive, and can be upgraded if you don't care about budget. I thiugh the abzan infinite combo deck looked surprisingly competitive.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The budget magic series is probably more competitive, and can be upgraded if you don't care about budget. I thiugh the abzan infinite combo deck looked surprisingly competitive.

The Mardu I'm gonna steal and sac all your stuff from last week was hilarious and looks like a blast to play. I don't even think he lost a match in the 5 videos he posted.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Fun combos with Eldrazi Displacer: Halimar Tidecaller returning Encircling Fissure forever.

This also gets to play with Reflector Mages.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
Any thoughts on this atarka red variation? Main differences from the standard brew is the inclusion of goblin piledriver, scythe leopard, and 2 trumpet blast. The scythe leopards are meant to give me more oomph mid game while I prepare a hordeling/fodder drop + bushwhacker or trumpet blast. Opening hands seem pretty alright. Win condition is pretty much to overwhelm with buffed creatures and tokens.

code:
//Lands
4 Bloodstained Mire
2 Cinder Glade
2 Forest
8 Mountain
2 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

//Spells
4 Atarka's Command
4 Dragon Fodder
3 Fiery Impulse
4 Hordeling Outburst
2 Trumpet Blast
4 Wild Slash

//Creatures
4 Goblin Piledriver
4 Monastery Swiftspear
2 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
4 Reckless Bushwhacker
3 Scythe Leopard

//Sideboard //maybeboard
SB: 2 Hooting Mandrills
SB: 3 Thopter Engineer
SB: 3 Outpost Siege
SB: 3 den protector
SB: 2 Expedite

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I was thinking of trying for a Mardu control build topped with Chandra, Flamecaller in standard, which Goblin Dark-Dwellers recycling my 3-drop spells like Crackling Doom, probably Displacer too. I should probably splash green for one of the best 3 drop instants in Abzan Charm and for Rhino, which is also good with Displacer, right?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mehall posted:

I want to have a last hurrah with that. Maybe B/W with Kytheon, Ayli, and Dranna? :v: Mardu to add Zurgo and Pia & Kiran?

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
If you go Mardu, you might want to consider including Alesha since there's a few juicy legendaries for her to recur in those colors.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

I want to have a last hurrah with that. Maybe B/W with Kytheon, Ayli, and Dranna? :v: Mardu to add Zurgo and Pia & Kiran?

I was considering that myself.

Kytheon, Anafenza Ghost Waifu, Ayli, Liliana, Drana, etc.

It's the cost of Drana that put me off though.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I kinda want to build a Modern take on manaless dredge (and probably not manaless since no dread return), but beyond narcomoeba/bridge from below/GGT I'm at kind of a loss for what to put in the deck. Any suggestions?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Yawgmoth posted:

I kinda want to build a Modern take on manaless dredge (and probably not manaless since no dread return), but beyond narcomoeba/bridge from below/GGT I'm at kind of a loss for what to put in the deck. Any suggestions?

I recommend you don't go literally manaless, since there aren't enough cards to put in the deck. You're going to want 4 Dakmor Salvage at least. I can't test a viable decklist right now, but I can at least give you a list of cards that are good:

Golgari Grave-Troll
Stinkweed Imp
Golgari Thug
Street Wraith
Call to the Netherworld
Phantasmagorian
Bridge from Below
Narcomoeba
Viscera Seer
Mishra's Bauble
Gitaxian Probe
Bloodghast
Nether Traitor
Gurmag Angler
Dakmor Salvage
Demon of Death's Gate
Vengevine
Endless Obedience
Balustrade Spy (With Endless Obedience)

I'm not saying you can build a good manaless dredge deck with these, but if you build a manaless dredge deck in Modern, it will probably have most of these cards in it. I'm thinking you can either do a value grind approach, or you can do a combo build that gets out 6 creatures and then wins with Endless Obedience into Balustrade Spy.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 2, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

mehall posted:

As an update apparently the Hardened Scales deck is now pretty real because Nissa is insane in it. Also Abzan Falconer should just murder Rally.
http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/channel-pardee-time-standard-hardened-scales/

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mehall posted:

I was considering that myself.

Kytheon, Anafenza Ghost Waifu, Ayli, Liliana, Drana, etc.

It's the cost of Drana that put me off though.

Drana is half the cost of Lili, though.

Now that I think about it, Mardu would probably be better. The biggest weakness to the original version of the deck was a lack of card advantage. Now, we can just throw 4 Painful Truths into the deck and probably be set.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Irony Be My Shield posted:

As an update apparently the Hardened Scales deck is now pretty real because Nissa is insane in it. Also Abzan Falconer should just murder Rally.
http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/channel-pardee-time-standard-hardened-scales/

I like the deck, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to invest in it now since the key card is rotating out in a month. Kinda hard to get hyped over it.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Was goofing around and this happened. (It's a standard/budget deck that has mana issues.)

Make Emeria Great Again

//Lands
1 Ally Encampment
4 Evolving Wilds
3 Holdout Settlement
4 Island
1 Mortuary Mire
4 Mountain
5 Plains

//Spells
1 Boiling Earth
1 Captain's Claws
3 Devour in Flames
1 Encircling Fissure
3 Expedite
2 Oath of Gideon
2 Retreat to Emeria
1 Roil Spout
3 Slip Through Space
2 Sure Strike
1 Unified Front

//Creatures
1 Emeria Shepherd
3 Expedition Envoy
2 Firemantle Mage
2 Halimar Tidecaller
2 Reckless Cohort
2 Reflector Mage
3 Wall of Resurgence
3 Zada, Hedron Grinder

Display deck statistics

The simple explanation is that it's a token/ally deck that uses Zada and Sure Strike to swing hard (hopefully) for the win. Expedite and Slip Through Space also help you draw cards equal to the creatures you have in play when used with Zada. There's also a small sub-theme of Wall of Resurgence, spells with awaken, and Halimar Tidecaller.

Make Emeria Great Again!

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

So, I really want to cast the card Thing in the Ice. Seems super sweet. Here is an attempt in a cool format and then one attempt in an extremely bad format:

Deck: The Thing

//Creatures
4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
3 Thing in the Ice
4 Delver of Secrets

//Spells
3 Daze
4 Force of Will
4 Stifle
1 Vapor Snag
1 Counterspell
4 Standstill
1 Trickbind
4 Brainstorm
2 Spell Pierce
4 Lightning Bolt
1 Dismember

//Lands
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Island
1 Mountain
3 Volcanic Island
3 Polluted Delta
3 Wasteland
3 Mishra's Factory

//Sideboard
2 Misdirection
2 Surgical Extraction
2 Submerge
2 Pyroclasm
2 Blood Moon
1 Pithing Needle
1 Null Rod
1 Pyroblast
2 Flusterstorm

Display deck statistics

The idea here is to play out exactly the same way as Stiflenaught decks in the past: Play some kind of pressure (man land, delver, huge monster), and then cast a standstill, making it extremely awkward for your opponent to deal with the pressure. The usual suspects in the slot Thing In The Ice is now taking were usually held by Grim Lavamancer. Other past options have been Goblin Rabblemaster, Snapcaster Mage, and a black splash for Tombstalker.

The following is a deck that is almost certainly unplayable right now because it doesn't have 4 Eye of Ugin in it, but here is an attempt to have a bit of fun with Thing In The Ice in Modern:

Deck: The Thing 2

//Creatures
4 Fatestitcher
3 Thing in the Ice

//Spells
4 Jeskai Ascendancy
3 Izzet Charm
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Path to Exile
4 Remand
1 Spell Snare
1 Thirst for Knowledge
4 Thought Scour
2 Visions of Beyond
1 Faithless Looting
2 Gitaxian Probe
4 Serum Visions

//Lands
2 Island
1 Plains
2 Arid Mesa
2 Faerie Conclave
4 Flooded Strand
1 Glacial Fortress
2 Hallowed Fountain
4 Polluted Delta
2 Steam Vents
1 Sulfur Falls

//Sideboard
1 Thing in the Ice
3 Pyroclasm
3 Stony Silence
2 Dispel
2 Wear
1 Negate
3 Timely Reinforcements

Display deck statistics

The idea here is to add a bit more play to the deck with you don't have an Ascendancy rolling. If you do, then you just win however is convenient. Thing in the Ice also helps to overload your opponent's paths.

Another way to go in legacy is to use Isochron Sceptre, since that does actually cast the card that is imprinted. I've been trying to make a UW Mighty Quinn deck work, but that deck is pretty bad as it is.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I have been playtesting this with proxies.

Early thoughts.

*The mana is probably wrong on the number and on the % of mountains vs swamps. It doesn't very like its very far off though and mana is rarely a problem. 23 lands seems about perfect if 3 is the top of your curve.

*New bob doesn't feel particularly strong unless you really get aggressive with discard. I feel like this card is only good when the game is going long and this isn't the decks strong suit. Good top deck though.

*If you untap with olivia or drana things get explosive.

*Gorger doesn't seem to play as well as you think he should.

*Both Heir and bloodsworn seem to put in work. Heir is the best madness enabler in the deck and bloodsworn can be a stand in for a turn 4 drana + haste. Both play better than expected.

*I was not a fan of lightning axe at first but I feel like it makes for an explosive turn and went to 4. It may be wrong but it seems stronger with how the deck is constructed now. It basically makes gorger and new bob actually get past blocks turn 3 or 4.

*Alms and Temper made the deck explosive as gently caress and also finish games fairly easily turn 5+. They also are the easiest madness cards to play and fit into a turn 4, olivia'd drana with the mana left over. Alms simply playtests better than expected.

*The deck might need more tormenting voices and honestly I feel like cutting new bob for one more is probably right.

Deck: B/R Vampires

//Lands
4 Foreboding Ruins
7 Mountain
4 Smoldering Marsh
8 Swamp

//Spells
4 Alms of the Vein
4 Fiery Temper
4 Lightning Axe
2 Tormenting Voice

//Creatures
3 Asylum Visitor
4 Drana, Liberator of Malakir
4 Falkenrath Gorger
4 Heir of Falkenrath
4 Olivia's Bloodsworn
4 Olivia, Mobilized for War

Display deck statistics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Brewing to make Sin Prodder good, and I think I'm on to something here. I might want to splash black for disrupting spells and Kolaghan's Command, but as a mono red deck it's got some teeth to it.

Big Red Prodding

• Locked thread