Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm really liking the "aggro abzan" (which seems kind of a misnomer but :shrug: ) list that uses off-color fetches and doublecheck lands to be able to fetch all its colors easily which allows it to converge for 4 or 5 for things like Exert Influence and Woodland Wanderer if it wants to.

Deck: 5 Color Abzan

//CREATURES
4 Hangarback Walker
4 Den Protector
4 Siege Rhino
3 Warden of the First Tree
3 Anafenza, the Foremost
2 Woodland Wanderer

//PLANESWALKERS
1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

//26 LANDS
3 Forest
1 Plains
1 Swamp
2 Canopy Vista
4 Flooded Strand
2 Llanowar Wastes
2 Polluted Delta
1 Prairie Stream
1 Smoldering Marsh
1 Sunken Hollow
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

//SPELLS
4 Abzan Charm
3 Dromoka's Command
3 Murderous Cut
1 Valorous Stance
1 Silkwrap
1 Exert Influence

//Sideboard
2 Silkwrap
2 Disdainful Stroke
3 Duress
2 Exert Influence
3 Self-Inflicted Wound
3 Arashin Cleric

Display deck statistics

Based on this list from the SCG Open this weekend, but I only have one Gideon and I found the converge cards to actually be quite good.

I found that the mana base on this actually works really well. I was testing it this afternoon and I almost never had trouble getting my 3 main colors by turn 3 and getting to 4 colors is super easy too.

Silkwrap seems like it hits a ton of stuff in this format, the only problem is all the Abzan decks have Dromoka's Command. At least it straight up kills Hangarback Walker though.

I think Exert Influence is actually just a really good card in a lot of Standard matchups if you can cast it for 4-5 colors reliably. It steals Siege Rhino, Whisperwood Elemental, Tasiguar, Den Protector, Mantis Rider, etc etc. It's only bad against decks like atarka red that are running creatures that only cost 2-3 mana. Against an Abzan Mirror it's amazing, since those games so often have a midgame back-and-forth of play-a-threat / kill-your-threat and being able to STEAL a threat is just a huge tempo and possibly card advantage gain since they'll often have to use a removal spell on thing you stole. And it's not an enchantment, so Dromoka's Command is no help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What should Abzan have in the sideboard for Atarka Red? every deck seems to have Arashin Clerics but they feel pretty lacklustre and aren't gonna stop one of their good draws withe Become Immense + Temur Battle Rage.
I guess more cheap removal like Silkwrap?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Samael posted:

I've just acquired 4 Monastery Mentors and I don't need see any Tier 1 decks playing this card at all, even though it has such a high power level. Does anyone have a brew revolved around this card?

It's a card that really wants a lot of 1 or maybe 2 CMC spells, especially instants, and Standard just doesn't have enough of those that are worth playing.

People have tried it in modern in Esper or Mardu tokens though. It pairs well with cards like Path to Exile, Lingering Souls, Thoughtseize, Serum Visions, Thought Scour, Lightning Bolt, etc. etc. The esper version ran Snapcaster Mage and Thought Scour and some Delve spells.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Went 4-0 with BWC Planeswalkers/Tokens last night, it's a fun deck!

Deck: Untitled Deck

//CREATURES
4 Seeker of the Way
4 Matter Reshaper
4 Secure the Wastes

//WALKERS
4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
2 Ob Nixilis Reignited

//REMOVAL
3 Silkwrap
3 Stasis Snare
1 Utter End
1 Ruinous Path

//OTHER SPELLS
4 Read the Bones
1 Duress
1 Oath of Gideon

//LANDS
4 Shambling Vent
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Scoured Barrens
2 Battlefield Forge
1 Llanowar Wastes
2 Foundry of the Consuls
2 Sea Gate Wreckage
5 Plains
2 Swamp

//Sideboard
3 Thought-Knot Seer
1 Duress
1 Transgress the Mind
4 Arashin Cleric
1 Utter End
1 Murderous Cut
1 Hallowed Moonlight
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
1 Planar Outburst
1 Spatial Contortion

Display deck statistics

Seekers and removal and Matter Reshapers help you get some tempo early, and the end game is an EOT Secure the wastes into Sorin or Gideon to suddenly put a ton of power on the battlefield.
Matter Reshaper can die into Silkwrap, Stasis Snare, Seeker or another Reshaper (or lands) and has really impressed me just being good value.
Thought-Knots from the sideboard were really good and I'm considering swapping Obs for them.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

C-Euro posted:

I was gonna ask if Monastery Swiftspear would break the bank, but holy moly it's $3.50 TCG Mid. I know it sees play in every format but a crapload of Khans was opened so I'm surprised it's still up there.

I kept every Swiftspear I opened during Khans and even traded for a few when they were cheaper. The thing's an eternal staple and 4-of in the decks where it's played, it's gonna be one of those weirdly expensive non-rares like Inquisition of Kozilek if it doesn't get a reprint in a duel deck or something.

• Locked thread