Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

RickVoid posted:

I really, really wanted Corvo to have an essentially one-sided conversation with the utterly alien whale overmind. And it just never happens. This bit with the outsider is as close as we ever get.
How do you know the Outsider's true form isn't a whale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The whaler song. Some people will whistle it and you can find the lyrics lying around in books occasionally but it's not actually in the game. Warning, comments may contain spoilers.

Zomborgon posted:

Is there question that he isn't?
That's a fair question.

What? :psyduck:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dareon posted:

The mention of tentacles is what starts to give you the impression that these may not be what we immediately think of when the word "whales" is used. That and the fact that whale oil is a volatile explosive rivaling nitroglycerin.
They are whales, you can see one being brought in on a ship in the very first part of the game on the little motorboat. The tentacles aren't anything like what you'd think, more like fleshy whiskers. There's also an opportunity for a closer examination of one in one of the dlc's.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm pretty sure those random grunts are all cycling through the exact same heart clips though. For example Cecelia just gets the same generic female quotes as other women.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Zomborgon posted:

Lydia, on the other hand, gets a few nice (if very sad) lines that really made me empathize with her. She flirts a bit with Corvo, too. It always seemed kinda cute.
The only ones who don't have sad lines are the assholes. :smith:

Also you probably want to edit out that last part of your post.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The only time I've accidentally killed someone after choking them out was when I dumped a guard at the top of a staircase. But it's completely understandable that he broke his neck and died after all that uncomfortable tumbling.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

quote:

Of course I’ll tell you, dearie. I won’t keep any secrets from you in the end. All the dreary days of my life are like the windows of a house. From the kitchen, I can see out into the garden where the leaves and stalks are brown and bug-eaten. You can see a little lump of dirt where something was wrapped in a blanket and laid to rest along the rows of twisting vines.

The front room looks out into the street, where the neighbors are all setting fire to their homes, barricading themselves inside. Warm and snug, dearie.

Don’t forget about the bedroom, either. It sees into a dreary alley, where hooligans are playing a game with an old man. The first two are hitting him with sticks and the girl with them is kicking at his dry, old ribs. Oh, to have those bones, to boil them in a pot.
Yup, she's scary alright. :stare:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't think you can level up all powers. Just going with improved blink and improved agility is easily enough to get through the game and during my last playthrough I ended up with quite a lot of unspent runes.

Poil fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 9, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Weird, I remember the conversation with the sick overseer after the assassination being very different. Maybe it was a different place.

Possessing is really fun, it even works on fish. Who hasn't wanted to possess fish every once in a while?

Coolguye posted:

Also by the way poil I'm gonna have to ask you to never stop commenting on our youtube videos because every time I see a comment from you pop up in our email I end up smiling
I'm gonna have to ask you to never stop posting youtube videos. :)

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 15, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

High vs Low chaos difference! We'll see it on Coolguye's run.
Already? It's the first mission. :stare:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I thought the game didn't take that into account until after this mission. That's really cool.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

double nine posted:

What'd be the odds they go on sale come Halloween?
Chances are very good.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm so tempted to start a new playthrough of this game now. Apparently I only have 66 hours logged on Steam. Maybe try for the ghost achievement or the one where you don't spend a single rune.

Can you feel the new day rising,
Climbing up the east horizon?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

George posted:

You're getting ahead of things. First we need to come up with a challenge they can't win.
Kill everyone in a level only using spring razors?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks to this lp I'm now doing yet another run of this game, and I made it out from the prison without being spotted for the first time. :toot:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

They can't detect you when they're dead!
If my hands are clean I don't need to wash them. The blood never comes off. No matter how much I scrub. Even steel wool doesn't help.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Personally I kinda like the low chaos scene with the three overseers on your way back from dealing with the high one. Another detail that really helps with the atmosphere is in the sewers when you escape the prison and run into the recently lived in area with dead people. In a corner you find the bodies of a man and a woman with a mattress, cooking tools and things that makes it clear they've been living there a short time. And Damien's Journal.

quote:

Amanda and I only had enough coin to buy half the elixir we needed. Even that's all gone now, and there's nothing to do but wait. We're very sick and there's no place above to hide from the city watch. They're breaking into houses all over our district. So we'll stay here and share the last hours together. Our fire will keep the rats away, but they'll inherit this city.

-Damien

:smith:

On my latest playthrough I wrapped up a few days ago I somehow got both the Ghost and Shade achievements. Possession is amazingly helpful. After choking a lady and leaving her on a basement floor, which apparently also had a pack of rats, I learned that it doesn't count as you murdering people if they die from environmental hazards so to speak. The box "didn't kill anyone" was still checked after it was over despite the contrary and mildly gruesome evidence.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

warhammer651 posted:

I'd be hesitant to call the non-lethal options the "Good" method
Yeah... They're really just non-lethal options. The chaos system does good or evil in my opinion, do you murder everyone who happens to get in your way or do you work around and spare them? You're still an assassin and end them whether you chose to make him poison himself, stab him or brand him so he'll be cast out on the street as a beggar and likely die of the plague.

High and low chaos is completely separate from lethal or non-lethal of terminating the target. You'll still be low chaos if you stab every single target and spare the guards like a professional. Likewise you'll be high chaos if you murder everyone in front of you and want the bastards to suffer far worse than a quick death.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

With one exception they all deserve non-lethal. :colbert:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That synchronized dancing. Do the rat dance. Do the rat dance.

It's the Dunwell version of the classic cowboy dance.

Poil fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 13, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe the branding iron was kept at the ready because the ol' high overseer was using it to threaten the rest as part of the blackmail. It would also explain why the two guys on the street were talking about it, it's been mentioned more lately.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is tempted to put unconscious old men on roof tops.

MooCowlian posted:

Bend Time is a power I've not used for anything except stabbing people without them seeing me. Apparently I've missed a lot.
It's great for sneaking past lots of guards and/or innocents with if you are, for some strange reason, carrying a body and can't blink all the way.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well you can lop off heads, arms and legs so you should be able to chop off someone's...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Does that still count as a necrophilia?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's like stepping on spring razors.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Corvo is one rough pickpocket.

It was amazing to see the wall reject that guy and his piss.

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 6, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I just went through The Knife of Dunwall, yet again. That freaking close up of the oil processing is, still, really really unsettling. :gonk:

Incidentally I'm really looking forward to when the LP gets there and I'll learn where in the world some of the runes and bonecharms are hidden. While I could look it up it's not nearly as fun.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Coolguye posted:

I've still not played the DLC at all beyond Dunwall City Trials, actually, so that's gonna be a real experience for me.
Amusingly that's the only DLC I haven't played because a bunch of timed challenges sounds really boring.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

I personally ran into this glitch once: :nms:
You seem to be getting your powers from the warp rather than the void.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ablative posted:

I have a confession. I uh... I really liked this level the first time i played it.
Me too, it's pretty awesome if a bit too linear. Getting on top of the bridge was really cool.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You can definitely get higher on the bridge than that. But not to the very top I think. Just pretty close on the beams.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thesaya posted:

Also, about the Emperor, I always gathered that the Empire was either matrilinial or didn't consider gender at all, something that I felt was a quite awesome thing. I feel like fantasy worlds way to often fail to realise that they can make their societies anything they want it to be, instead of going with the usual feudal or traditional royal societies.
That's really common and it's like almost every single person is dead set on there only being a few predetermined forms of government with no variations as if playing older Civilization games where you pick one from a list. As long as it could reasonably be expected to work there is no reason why it couldn't be used. It does need to be a bit more functional than Simon Says however.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ching Shih did it. :colbert:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

One of the guards will talk about how great the big spinning wheel is and how important it is to never let it stop, but he doesn't react at all if you shut it down.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I had no idea you could possess people to remove wale oil tanks. But it does make so much sense. Except for the other guards not caring that one of them suddenly jerks up, starts shuffling towards the tank, removes the tank and then continues shuffling away out over a ledge and disappears.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You can feed them all to rats without a mod, does that count?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't remember if it has been mentioned yet, but Sokolov would probably suspect Piero to send the assassin since he's making the main (and only) competing elixir against the plague. And since Piero got kicked out of the academy or whatever he likely harbors resentment.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's not difficult to get into the upper floor if you use the balcony above the guy in the wolf mask. The guard is, for some reason, the same as any of the ones of the ground so you can casually walk past him and choke/stab him at your convenience.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, this is the one mission when the non-lethal way is just way too horrible for the person's crimes that you must be one evil bastard to not just slit her throat. The other targets have a poetic justice to them, this is just... no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Brainamp posted:

Sadly this level is kind of a pain to ghost, if only cause of that asshat that Pendleton wants you to duel.
I dueled him just fine in my ghost run. Maybe non-hostiles don't count against it and he has a special setting so he doesn't either, or something.

• Locked thread