Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
http://gawker.com/everything-we-know-about-the-oregon-community-college-s-1734233086

quote:

quote:

Before going into spinal surgery, Anastasia Boylan told her father the gunman entered her classroom firing.

“I’ve been waiting to do this for years,” the gunman told the professor teaching the class. He shot him point blank, Boylan recounted.

Others were hit too, she told her family.

Everyone in the classroom dropped to the ground.

The gunman, while reloading his handgun, ordered the students to stand up and asked if they were Christians, Boylan told her family.

“And they would stand up and he said, ‘Good, because you’re a Christian, you’re going to see God in just about one second,’” Boylan’s father, Stacy, told CNN, relaying her account.

“And then he shot and killed them.”

Boylan, 18, was hit in the back by a bullet that traveled down her spine. While she lay bleeding on the floor, the gunman called out to her, “Hey you, blond woman,” her mother said.

Boylan is now reportedly recovering from spinal surgery.

Another student, Kortney Moore, relayed a similar story about playing dead “amid the bleeding gunshot victims” after her professor was shot in the head. She also confirms the shooter questioned his victims about their religion.

It's strange to see the so-called "moderate atheist" community refuse to categorically denounce violence so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Speaking as a modern atheist I love death.

E: I can't tell if you're serious or not. Apologies in advance for making GBS threads up your thread.

Starshark fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 2, 2015

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Starshark posted:

Speaking as a modern atheist I love death.

E: I can't tell if you're serious or not. Apologies in advance for making GBS threads up your thread.

Of course I'm not serious. I'm mocking the self-righteous bullshit of some of my fellow atheists.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
eyewitness testimony of events during a traumatic even are always reliable, case in point

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm sure it was just a parking dispute.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Literally The Worst posted:

eyewitness testimony of events during a traumatic even are always reliable, case in point

Even if both the witnesses are mistaken or lying there's ample evidence of this guy's dislike of organized religion from elsewhere.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
This dude knows that atheists lose a Christian-Atheist race war, like real bad, right?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Periodiko posted:

This dude knows that atheists lose a Christian-Atheist race war, like real bad, right?

I'm sure it was foremost on his mind as he suicided-by-cop.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Hey whats going on in this....

...oh, its Tezzor. Nevermind.

Tezzor posted:

It's strange to see the so-called "moderate atheist" community refuse to categorically denounce violence so far.

:downsbravo:

Should we even have to denounce it? I mean, its pretty much unspoken that its reprehensible and wrong. Way to go Tezzor. You caught us.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 2, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CommieGIR posted:

Hey whats going on in this....

...oh, its Tezzor. Nevermind.

:downsbravo:

Should we even have to denounce it? I mean, its pretty much unspoken that its reprehensible and wrong. Way to go Tezzor. You caught us.

Not to defend Tezzor, but:

Tezzor posted:

Of course I'm not serious. I'm mocking the self-righteous bullshit of some of my fellow atheists.

Maybe you should read the thread a little more than not at all?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He sounds like a bellend and I'm glad he's dead.

Also if you know atheists who are defending him kick them in the bollocks.

But post their bullshit here first so I can laugh at them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 2, 2015

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Who What Now posted:

Maybe you should read the thread a little more than not at all?
That's not usually advisable in a Tezzor thread.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
didn't we already do this charade during the chapel hill shooting

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

point of return posted:

didn't we already do this charade during the chapel hill shooting

Yes and the atheist community learned literally nothing from that so I guess we have to keep at it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'll call up atheism HQ and tell them to put the word out on the secularnet about it.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Tezzor, I think it's time you sought help. I understand you think atheists are to blame for this horrible tragedy but we can't start lynching atheists unless we want to be like the shooter yesterday.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

we can't start lynching atheists
Let's not be hasty.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Tezzor posted:

Yes and the atheist community learned literally nothing from that so I guess we have to keep at it

What should we have learned?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there an atheist community? Seems like a kind of difficult thing to build a community around.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Tezzor, I think it's time you sought help. I understand you think atheists are to blame for this horrible tragedy but we can't start lynching atheists unless we want to be like the shooter yesterday.

I think we can find some reasonable middle ground between doing nothing and lynching people when they express self righteous bullshit; for example, mocking and criticizing them

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Tezzor posted:

I think we can find some reasonable middle ground between doing nothing and lynching people when they express self righteous bullshit; for example, mocking and criticizing them

You definitely should mock and criticize beliefs especially if they are wrong or harmful.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Anosmoman posted:

What should we have learned?

To stop saying poo poo like it's impossible for an atheist to commit violence because of atheism or only religion could cause someone to commit a suicide attack

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Tezzor posted:

To stop saying poo poo like it's impossible for an atheist to commit violence because of atheism or only religion could cause someone to commit a suicide attack

People who say that are idiots. You can commit mass murder for any belief.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tezzor posted:

Seriously if you have examples of that post them because I would like to lol at them.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Tezzor posted:

Atheism is a religion

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
I lust for Christian death

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I'll call up atheism HQ and tell them to put the word out on the secularnet about it.

Leave the James Randi forum out of this

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah so the twist is that he was the good guy all along???

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

OwlFancier posted:

Seriously if you have examples of that post them because I would like to lol at them.

http://scienceblogs.com/tfk/2010/10/06/suicide-bombing-is-not-about-r/

quote:

The opening of Sam Harris’s End of Faith, like several essays he wrote at HuffPo, focus on suicide bombing. He argues that suicide bombing is absurd, and only exists because of religion. A footnote to EoF acknowledges that suicide bombing was first deployed on a large scale by the Tamil Tigers, who were not fighting a religious war, but rather were part of an ethnic and nationalistic conflict. He waves this objection away at HuffPo by writing: “it is misleading to describe the Tamil Tigers as ‘secular’ … While the motivations of the Tigers are not explicitly religious, they are Hindus who undoubtedly believe many improbable things about the nature of life and death. The cult of martyr-worship that they have nurtured for decades has many of the features of religiosity that one would expect in people who give their lives so easily for a cause.” In other words, they aren’t motivated by religion, but their longstanding ethnic/nationalistic war has produced something just like religion even though it isn’t actually religion.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's so dense I can barely tell what it's arguing honestly.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

Leave the James Randi forum out of this

James Randi is a cool dude and he probably could have stopped this shooting by making the gun turn into a dove or something.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
Oh great now we get to read a million pages of shrieking new atheists clutching at their fedoras, sucking dick dorkin's dick and sneering at indifferent agnostics

Edit: lol i just read this online:

quote:

According to multiple accounts from witnesses and family members of those wounded, the gunman asked victims to state their religion before he opened fire.

But im sure the whole shooting was just over a parking dispute

Marijuana Nihilist fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 2, 2015

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
isn't that what one of those columbine boys said to a girl while doing their shooting? Are we going to to get more smugass songs by lovely christian metal bands about this?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
dawkins akhbar
darwin is great

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I guess we can add those victims of atheist intolerance to the millions they killed in the 20th century.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

Oh great now we get to read a million pages of shrieking new atheists clutching at their fedoras, sucking dick dorkin's dick and sneering at indifferent agnostics

Edit: lol i just read this online:

But im sure the whole shooting was just over a parking dispute

....that was in the opening post. I hate Dawkins just as much as the next guy, but chill out.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed. Only turn your violence inward - dare the rotten world to crucify you for speaking and acting truthfully and morally. Destroy all pride, all ego. Conscious thought is the original sin.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 3, 2015

Hello Meow
Nov 9, 2009

McDowell posted:

Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed. Only turn your violence inward - dare the rotten world to crucify you for speaking and acting truthfully and morally. Destroy all pride, all ego. Conscious thought is the original sin.

You've just given me the motivation to finally self-immolate in front of the New York Stock Exchange.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dr. Killjoy posted:

isn't that what one of those columbine boys said to a girl while doing their shooting? Are we going to to get more smugass songs by lovely christian metal bands about this?

That apparently didn't actually happen.

I imagine that most of what people associate with "atheists" is just due to a minority that post on websites like reddit. I'm only atheist because I grew up in a family that wasn't religious at all and had no reason to be religious myself as a result. I don't know why people debate about things like this, since there's literally nothing to debate beyond "I have faith that God exists" "Oh, alright." I guess that many atheists feel a need to talk about it due to family stress stemming from their lack of religious beliefs, so I can empathize with that. I don't call myself agnostic since it sort of implies "It could be either way!", when in reality I consider the possibility of a God existing to be completely negligible, even if it's not exactly 0%, so it would be misleading to use some label that implies I give it serious consideration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hello Meow posted:

You've just given me the motivation to finally self-immolate in front of the New York Stock Exchange.

What would that accomplish?

• Locked thread