Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nighthand posted:

That thread is solid gold every year and honestly some good mockery can help you get better at avoiding the dumb poo poo people do as bad writers.

What, people make fun of us?

Better get my name out there, then: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/gastronok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I used the snowflake method to come up with a plot summary, that will help me stay on track, I think.

Basically I started with a one sentence summary, then made a one paragraph summary. Then made a paragraph out of each of the sentences in the original paragraph summary, and just went from there.

Now my summary is 3 pages and 1400 words.

We shall see what happens.

I've got a buncha goons from 2011.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/jonharb

Mazo Panku
Nov 30, 2013

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?
I meant to spend some time working on all the NaNoWriMo preplanning. Not just writing, I'm talking about making sure you've got a clean space and everyone knows you'll be dead to the world for a month.
Those kinds of things, you know? But, I got high as poo poo for a good chunk of October and now I'm rushing to shovel some of that preplanning into the last few days of the month!
Ugh, I can't believe I still do this every year. It's been a decade but I think only one or two of those years have ever amounted to much besides a trashy short story. But I'll never give up hope!
I'll haunt the coffeehouses of this city like a spectre all November. This plan only differs from every other month because usually I'm only haunting this coffee house.

So here is my ultimate writing technique this year: stop smoking so much pot you loving stoner, you got work to do

Oh, and you can add me to your pile of murderous rivals writing buddies with this: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/mazo

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Back in again.

Been participating since '05 officially. Won every single year since; the year I got laid off ('12) I hit 165k.

I refuse to lose.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/nethilia

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Juanito posted:

I used the snowflake method to come up with a plot summary, that will help me stay on track, I think.

Basically I started with a one sentence summary, then made a one paragraph summary. Then made a paragraph out of each of the sentences in the original paragraph summary, and just went from there.

Now my summary is 3 pages and 1400 words.

Thank you for this idea. My outline is ballooning outward and it's helping me brainstorm.

Are we trying to organize local meetups or is that a bad idea? :gooncamp:

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

Guess I'll give this another shot. http://nanowrimo.org/participants/hookshot

I suppose I should also try to plan ahead and think of how to avoid that mid-month slump. It's always my downfall :argh:

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This year, anytime I hit a slump I'm going to go all LOST and just add something amazing. Time travel, underground bunker, pirates... whatever.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Nethilia posted:

Back in again.

Been participating since '05 officially. Won every single year since; the year I got laid off ('12) I hit 165k.

I refuse to lose.

Watching your word count skyrocket and you hit 50K by like, day 3, is a goddamn treat every year. I just wish I could see public reactions somewhere.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Whoop, forgot my link: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/miriable

Many of you are probably already writing buddies, but I still have to cast my net every year for the newbies. :getin:

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Nethilia posted:

Back in again.

I refuse to lose.

I wasn't sure why your word count in 2012 was notable until I saw the 1, Three+ times the requirement is unreal

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010
http://nanowrimo.org/participants/anais-nun

Sure, why not. It's doesn't feel like November unless the first three days taste like leftover Halloween candy and fear. Let's do this again.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Figured I'd post a link to the Snowflake Method of novel planning, since I didn't know what the hell it was until a couple days ago. A solid way to do emergency last-day NaNoWriMo planning. Also let the suffering begin.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
On Nov 1 I'm going to be doing a 5K to raise money for my wife's disability. Luckily, I'll have Dragon Dictation on my phone, gonna write a lot of mis-heard words.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Last year I tried to go it alone and that failed miserably. I added everyone else in the thread, and my link is here, so let the games begin.

Piano Maniac
Oct 10, 2011
http://nanowrimo.org/participants/taoisticbeer

Here's my link - I'm gonna do an YA post-apocalyptic road trip novel in Estonian and I'll send it to a local novel-writing contest. Hopefully I'll make it :P
So yeah, if you want to talk about sci-fi or anime or life in general, let's buddy up then!

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd
My timezone is just over two hours from midnight.

The plan is to stay up and write until 5 or 6, crash, and then get up and write some more in the afternoon.

Gonna try to hit at least 3.3k today - twice the daily average needed, to get a little bit of a head start.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
I've been anxious about announcing here before I was sure about actually participating, but now I am! I went to a local kickoff (or rather, pre-nano hype session since it's not the 1st here yet) and even got a concept for what I'm going to write.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/pilzeman

I'm gonna write a post-apocalyptic "everything just keeps getting worse" story. I don't know if it has any particular name; I can't think of any examples other than Fargo and Breaking Bad. My mission (other than writing 50k) is to have a story that makes people go "wow, what a bad sitch these guys are in, I wonder how they get out" and if they skip ahead a few chapters they're still not out; in fact it's gotten worse. Just the same escalating situation for the entire book. I have no idea if I can pull it off.

Two hours till midnight here!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Tiger posted:

Just the same escalating situation for the entire book.

Check out The Road sometime.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Okay... I'm in too!

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/tgwriter25/novels/falling-867630

Fourth year in a row, and while I didn't remember to valid every year, I'm looking to win for the forth time straight. Going to go out and party tonight, and then be in the coffee shop first thing tomorrow morning to try and get ahead. Weird challenge to myself this year. Doing my first 50k entirely on my iPhone 6s+, with an apple keyboard... Just because why the hell not?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

So last year I didn't do NaNoWriMo because I was pregnant, had an extremely active toddler, and was moving. This year I am not pregnant, but I have an even-more-active toddler, a super-inquisitive crawler, and my husband has a two-hour commute each way every weekday, so obviously conditions will be better :j:

On the other hand I'm using NaNoWriMo to try for a third draft of the story idea I used the first year I excreted a NaNoWriMo novel (2003!), so at least I have a good idea of where the story needs to go and in extremity can just reuse my 2003 or 2011 outlines :eng101:

(But, seriously, it sounds like fun to go in with no outline and almost no time to myself to write. This is going to be terrible :neckbeard:)

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd

zonohedron posted:

So last year I didn't do NaNoWriMo because I was pregnant, had an extremely active toddler, and was moving. This year I am not pregnant, but I have an even-more-active toddler, a super-inquisitive crawler, and my husband has a two-hour commute each way every weekday, so obviously conditions will be better :j:

There's always something. Gotta just jump in anyway.

In other news, it's nearly 4AM here, and I'm crawling slow and steady towards 3000 words. Starting to get tired, but I've got half a can of soda sitting open on the table, so I'm just gonna keep typing until that's empty.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
I'm up past my bedtime but I managed a little over 1000 words in an hour! I'm going to be at a write-in nearly all day tomorrow, so hopefully I can stay at or near that pace!

Tiger posted:

I'm gonna write a post-apocalyptic "everything just keeps getting worse" story. I don't know if it has any particular name; I can't think of any examples other than Fargo and Breaking Bad. My mission (other than writing 50k) is to have a story that makes people go "wow, what a bad sitch these guys are in, I wonder how they get out" and if they skip ahead a few chapters they're still not out; in fact it's gotten worse.
Not post-apocalyptic except in the personal sense, but Requiem for a Dream also fits the bill I'd say. My younger brother calls this sub-genre "miserablist"; doesn't look like the name's really caught on elsewhere, though.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Witness Me and my lovely barely titled story.

Caros fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 2, 2015

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Punched in just over 1700 in an hour. Now I remember why I haven't won yet after years of trying - my writing is bad and I still find it very hard to translate the scene as I see it in my head onto the paper. Oh well, can't get better if you don't write. Hopefully by next year I'll have read another 50 novels or so and won't be so horrible.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Nighthand posted:

Watching your word count skyrocket and you hit 50K by like, day 3, is a goddamn treat every year. I just wish I could see public reactions somewhere.

Last year, I did a 24 hour write-in and one of the people I met there did something exactly like this. Hell, I think she wrote 50k words just during that 24 hour period, all while socializing with a bunch of us.

It was this ungodly combination of being able to type as fast as she thinks and think as fast as she types.

Oh yeah, I guess I'm doing this again this year. Woke up early, already have a thousand words written before noon. I'd like to clear 2k words before my friends drag me out to socialize.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Day one is a bit of a wash for me as I'm travelling back from a social engagement: just going to have to do a solid 6+ hours of typing tomorrow and see what happens. Zero planning too :dance:

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

IT BEGINS posted:

Now I remember why I haven't won yet after years of trying - my writing is bad and I still find it very hard to translate the scene as I see it in my head onto the paper.

Same problem here. It's hard to keep powering through when I know the words behind me need editing.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

TequilaJesus posted:

Same problem here. It's hard to keep powering through when I know the words behind me need editing.

I shall not edit. Editing is the mind killer.

Seriously though, editing is for December. If you really think a section needs work, highlite it and move on. Alternatively you can rewrite a troublesome section from scratch so long as you save the original so you can compare them later.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Usually I start writing at midnight, but this time since I was out of ideas I decided not to stress it and just watched a movie instead. Started talking with a friend partway through and our conversation gave me some ideas, so after a good night's sleep (can't believe I'm saying this but thank you Daylight Savings Time) I'm ready for action.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Oh, I'm in again.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/clockwork-angel-2094250

Unleash the hounds!

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

This is year four for me. I failed last year but won the two previous. I had a basic starting point for a story, but I didn't know exactly where it was going to go till I started writing the first thousand words. Now I've got a story and I'm interested to see how my character handles it. I'm not gonna risk my account on this, though. Work could get too drat busy for me to win if I'm unlucky.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I just realized Scrivener has a name generator.

This has either made things much easier for me, or much more difficult...

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

Cthulu Carl posted:

I just realized Scrivener has a name generator.

This has either made things much easier for me, or much more difficult...

Wait, what? I've been using that for two years and never knew that was anywhere in there. Where did you find it at?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

soupcan58 posted:

Wait, what? I've been using that for two years and never knew that was anywhere in there. Where did you find it at?

Tools -> Writing Tools -> Name Generator

It gave me Antichrist Gates in the first batch of names, so it's gotta be good!

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

TequilaJesus posted:

One of the main goals of this exercise is to minimize that habit.

Anyway, I've already hit 1700 words and took a break to grab a beer with some friends. I'm gonna keep plodding along 100 hundred words at a time and see where I end up by midnight.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
I barely got over 1667 a quarter to midnight, and then did a word war that let me finish the first day on 1951 words! And I think I even know where my story's going, too.

I started writing before I did, so I wrote a chase and fight scene that popped into my head. Then I went back and wrote the pre-heist briefing, and now I have several chapters to write to connect the two scenes. It's great! Don't feel like you have to start writing at the beginning.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I got to 1774 today watching the Cosmos marathon on NatGeo. I was tempted to do some more so I can build up a buffer for the times I'll inevitably want to take a day off, but I wonder if writing too much at the beginning has been what's MADE me want to take days off in the first place. Guess we'll see how it goes...

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

At 2604 words. It's only 4:00 in Seattle, so I should probably try to at least crank out a few hundred more before the day's end. If I'm not getting ahead on weekends I likely won't make it to 50k. But I need a break.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
A paltry 900 on the first day but had a real poo poo day at work and was not in the mood to write anything. I'll accept the nervous start and settle in for the next two days off from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
I'm not gonna get that many words in tonight either, but I'm really looking to just tie up some loose thoughts I left hanging previously and then start again tomorrow. I got a write-in tomorrow and the group I go with are super nice people. Considering my only major thing to do tomorrow otherwise is laundry, I'm not very worried.

• Locked thread