Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

magnificent7 posted:

I threw a guy off my train just to make the story interesting. I imagine that's how JJ Abrams writes scripts.

I just had Mission Control watch as a spaceship disappeared, leaving only a few scraps of debris behind.

32,221 after trying to come up with disturbingly detached terms for everything - Things didn't go wrong, the mission has had a deviation. Pay no attention to the locking doors and the camera feeds being cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
My mission statement plot-wise was "everything starts going south, and then it never gets better", so I'm very free to just kill people off like I just don't care. Because I don't.

I've apparently gotten into a habit where I almost always finish the day's quota before I go to bed, but that happens like 2 a.m. the next day... Doesn't feel like the best schedule, but I'm surprisingly steadfast.

However, Jessica Jones drops on Netflix tomorrow. I don't know how to feel about that.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My numbers have taken a poo poo for the worst. I'm not going to blame it on my wife's health, but... well. That's easier than saying, "didn't feel like it."

But dammit I'm getting it back. I may not have the eye of the tiger, but I've sure got one of his nostrils.

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

Just passed 27k today, after taking a beating with a cold this week, I finally got ahead of my inability to breath through my nose and knocked out somewhere in the neighborhood of 5k over the course of the day. Here's hoping I can pull a repeat tomorrow and get back on the wagon.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007
33,020 words as of last night. I was running short on ideas of what to do/steal/blow up next, and eventually thought "hmm, the South China Sea was in the news recently. Let's put a Chinese research/ballistic missile tracking ship out there in disputed territory and blow it up (explosion tonight hopefully)."

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

So you know how I bitched yesterday that a massive power outage caused by a windstorm would not keep me from my projected win date of today?

I meant it.

I still need to write 10k more to cover my Toxx number in the Long Walk, but that's easy enough. I'm mostly proud that even with a power outage, I managed to hit the projected day I ended up setting by Day 3. Because gently caress letting a power outage gently caress me over for Nano.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I wasn't gonna post mine but it was very similar. I didn't lose power but I did start on day 3
I was gonna fistbump but I'm bad at this forum and don't know the smilies after 8 years

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

34,566. I can feel the end creeping nearer and nearer. Not gonna lie, I'm ready for it to be over this year. I'm not really stoked about my story - I'm having fun writing it but it doesn't really feel like something salvageable, haha.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
I just cracked 31,708 before midnight. If I can at least get close to 33,333 before bed, I'll be able to catch up to par by tomorrow. Sunday there's a write-in, so hopefully I'll be able to get a little ahead after the weekend. I fell like four days behind this week, so I've been word sprinting my rear end off just to get caught up.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
i honestly don't know if I'm gonna hit 50K this year, or if I'm going to give many shits about it. Which is bad. Just hoping I've hit a lull.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Skipped writing yesterday, but fortunately football seems to be conducive for writing because I made up the gap and then some.

35,780 right now. Might try to do another double tomorrow during more football to get ahead of my inevitable Thanksgiving don't-give-a-gently caress spell.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Had a word war against Ravenkult and Angel Opportunity. Two 2.5-hour stings broken by a half hour break. It was pretty awesome. We all hit 8k. I'm back on track for the month at just over 35k.

:woop:

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
My most productive day so far, with 1,808 words.

Yeah, I haven't been doing very good at keeping pace. :P

I wrote 16 words yesterday, and nothing in the last 3 days before that.

I did get finally past the 10,000 mark and at least got over a point I was stuck at. I still don't know how on earth I'm going to add enough stuff happening to cover 40,000 more words to get to the finale without it being repetitious.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I'm at 38,679 and worried about the end of the month with activities and stuff, so trying to write more.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Apparently, somebody in my region hit a million words on like day ten. No one I personally know, but apparently the website refuses to let her update her word count past 1,000,000 words. How she did it, I have no loving idea. Either way, our region's stats took a huge dip about ten days ago.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm guessing there was a lot of copy/paste.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007
drat, that's crazy. I've seen updates from people who've hit 50k in 12, 16 hours or so, but 1M? Wikipedia must be reeling from all those cuts :-)

I've had a real struggle three days out of the last four, but luckily I've had a buffer from the first 18 days or so. I'll be on target after tonight to finish at the standard rate of 1667 words per day, but I want to get out in front of the curve again, in case the weekend goes pear shaped. I've got a 4 hour meeting tomorrow, I wonder if anyone will notice if I write during it instead...

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
100,000 words per day seems, uh, unlikely.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

RedTonic posted:

I mean, I can see it you type 100 words per minute and you're writing pure nonstop stream of consciousness, maybe? Who knows :psyduck:

I'm finally getting to the action stuff in my project so it's picking up a bit. I'm currently on course to finish a day early. It would be nice to finish even earlier but I'm in retail and this week is Black Friday, sooooo...

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

RedTonic posted:

If it doesn't have to coherent sentences, one could write a script that pulls words from a dictionary library, and prints them out into a file.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Qu Appelle posted:

If it doesn't have to coherent sentences, one could write a script that pulls words from a dictionary library, and prints them out into a file.

I've read worse novels.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I think I'm starting to come down with a cold and after feeling like a zombie all day was tempted to skip writing. But I went for it and typed 2,006 words while falling asleep. There's a lot of talk of isles. Which I have no idea because this is taking place on a space station. I can also pick out when I started fading because it lookes like this:

quote:

The agent looozkaa tt hhie aand sia pppeeopoo poo doos j
I’m seriously starting to fall asleep tiright now.\
[Bizarre rambling about isles and gold teeth that is strangely free of typos.]

Either way, I'm at 39,058.

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010
Nearly 40k, but it's been really hard going the last week or so. Maybe deep down I'm reluctant to finally bury a large axe in my main antagonist's head. I'm finishing up a trilogy and he was originally supposed to bite it in book one, so I suppose he had a good run, but it's a bit disturbing to me how much I've come to like the little psycho.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I was gripped with sudden inspiration for a completely unrelated short story last night, so I wrote it and then cheated and included it in my total novel word count.

I figure, it's all creative writing, it works.

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 24, 2015

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Got to 40,514 today by doing another installment of the mutiny flashback side plot. Although the mutineers started on basically a penal space station, so I had to get them on the crew of a ship. Queue a series of highly coincidental, Final Destination-esque (but totally not suspicious at all, nosiree! Here, I'll even try on that glove!) deaths for for several of a visiting ships crew members!

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Pikestaff posted:

I mean, I can see it you type 100 words per minute and you're writing pure nonstop stream of consciousness, maybe? Who knows :psyduck:

Qu Appelle posted:

Not gonna lie... I'm curious to see what it looks like. Of course, whoever it is has never been to a write-in as far as I know. Everyone just called her by her website screenname when they talked about her word count. And I haven't seen anyone post in the forums by that name. I might as well be writing with SkyNet.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Only 2,439 words left. Heading on vacation tomorrow morning until Monday. I'm a little worried about getting this done. I may have to try to finish today, although I usually do my writing in the morning.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Not gonna lie... I'm curious to see what it looks like. Of course, whoever it is has never been to a write-in as far as I know. Everyone just called her by her website screenname when they talked about her word count. And I haven't seen anyone post in the forums by that name. I might as well be writing with SkyNet.

Way back in '08, one jerkfuck claimed to win with a stupid number (researched: 2.5 million) by literally copying Wikipedia talk pages and io9 reader comments into his document, wrote his own narcissistic press release about it, and got reamed the gently caress out about it.

http://fullmoon.typepad.com/chaos/2008/12/nanowrimo-yer-doing-it-wrong.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20150414095852/http://www.journalfen.net/community/otf_wank/611766.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20120225191326/http://marienbadmylove.com/thepresidentwhoexploded.aspx - the jerkass press release

In updates: I sit at 63068.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well well. All I need to win is 30,000 words. This weekend. Totally doable. 10K a day. Oh it's possible. I hope.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

magnificent7 posted:

Well well. All I need to win is 30,000 words. This weekend. Totally doable. 10K a day. Oh it's possible. I hope.

That's why coffee was invented. Oh, and it helps if you live right next to an international date line, you can pop back in time by a day and gain a whole extra 24 hours!

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Working full time this week and visiting family one at a time right after work means I've had very little time to write this week. Closing in on the final 5 days and I have 10,377.

There's always December I guess to try to finish this, but I'd like to win one of these.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Nethilia posted:

Way back in '08, one jerkfuck claimed to win with a stupid number (researched: 2.5 million) by literally copying Wikipedia talk pages and io9 reader comments into his document, wrote his own narcissistic press release about it, and got reamed the gently caress out about it.

http://fullmoon.typepad.com/chaos/2008/12/nanowrimo-yer-doing-it-wrong.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20150414095852/http://www.journalfen.net/community/otf_wank/611766.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20120225191326/http://marienbadmylove.com/thepresidentwhoexploded.aspx - the jerkass press release

My head exploded at the phrase "non-linear literary collage.”

That takes a special kind of dickbaggery. Not only to brag about plagiarism, but to pretend it's a completely new genre.

Anyway, I just cracked 44,502. I should be able to pump out at least 500 more words before I pass out.

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010
43,485 - I always limp to the finish line. Also the Nanowrimo site has been a lot better this year in terms of not completely making GBS threads the bed on November the first, although I like how you still get the odd 404 when you attempt to update your word count. For old time's sake, I guess.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

43,823. I was pretty consistent in getting over the quota earlier in the month so now as long as I hit ~1200 words a day for the rest of the month I'll be good.

Maybe I'll actually DO something with this one...

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007
44,571. So close I can almost taste it.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I need to average 6,500 words each day to hit my goal.

Time to just spew out scenes instead of plots and arcs and characters. And then, come December, I'll wire it all together.

Yeah. That's what I'll do.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Thanks to Thanksgiving/Black Friday (I work in retail) I managed to use all of my emergency buffer so now I'm back down at par. Hoping to maybe edge ahead again today. I'm really ready to win this thing already.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Slow day at work, so I ditched early to write. Got to 45,472 by going into necessary detail about a woman using a space toilet. Fortunately, most of the detail is about the space toilet itself and NOT her... Um, production?

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Things are starting to pick up a bit in my story so I'm rocking it. Up to 47,327 today. Might hit goal a day early if I feel up to it! :toot:

The NaNoWordSprints twitter account and a kitchen timer are both live savers; I've been getting a lot done thanks to those two things. When the twitter tells me to write for 20 minutes, I set my timer to 20 minutes and just nonstop write. Massively helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I did 6500 yesterday AND today. I'm getting there but it's still a steep climb. To keep the writing momentum going, I'll just summarize a chapter if it's not moving fast and my mind's already on the next big thing. Almost like my attention span is my editor right now. Hope I can keep it up another three days.

• Locked thread