Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Is this the place where we :toxx: for completion? 'cause I'm going to make those 50,000 words on the same topic in November (:toxx:).

I need more daunting, intimidating uphill struggles in my life. Unsarcastically, the pride and sense of accomplishment from completing things that are way beyond your capabilities is exhilarating. And NaNoWriMo will likely be more creative words than I have ever written, even in aggregate.

I'm already nervous. I should probably bust out the index cards now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nighthand posted:

That thread is solid gold every year and honestly some good mockery can help you get better at avoiding the dumb poo poo people do as bad writers.

What, people make fun of us?

Better get my name out there, then: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/gastronok

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I am super-duper behind and all of my words are horrible. But then this sentence fell out of my brain:

Hammer Bro. posted:

A malicious puree of obliterated vegetables saturated the walkways.

I now feel accomplished.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm reposting this from earlier in the thread because it's fantastic:

http://channel101.wikia.com/wiki/Story_Structure_101:_Super_Basic_Shit

Besides lack of time and deep-seated fatigue, my biggest problem has been lack of specific ideas. I've got a general idea of my cast and the big picture, but I try to come up with some little event and just draw a blank. So tonight while eating I busted out the notecards and followed the general formula:

1) You (the character you're focusing on for this episode)
2) Need (there's something that they desire or require)
3) Go (they mobilize in order to do something about it)
4) Search (and spend some amount of time and effort locating something to satisfy their need)
5) Find (they find the specific thing they think is best)
6) Take (and do what is necessary to acquire or overcome it)
7) Return (returning to a similar situation in which they started)
8) Change (but different for the experience)

Honestly once I get past #2 these cycles just write themselves, and now I've got enough for at least two chapters of directed material and one much bigger one which covers, in the broadest sense, the first half of the story. Also if your change leaves your character in a worse situation, you've basically got the first two items taken care of for the next cycle.

Read the site and try a circle or two.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I am riding high on my 50,014 words, which is a little less than what my wordprocessor reported but good enough.

I even have the barest outlines of a story now that I spent an entire month brainstorming.

And also my tendons hurt, because I did about 30,000 of those words in two of the last three days. That'll teach me to procrastinate.

• Locked thread