Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007
I won nano once a few years ago, and have failed pretty miserably in the last few years. I managed to get to Nov 1 with about one entirely unbaked idea, and after two days I've hit 3420 words. Time on day three to get the third protagonist group under way and see where the rest of the week gets me.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/malchrntyne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007
Apart from editing, the next trickiest thing I find is to stop worrying about little inconsistencies that creep in when you're writing as fast as possible with as little preparation as possible. Publishing isn't really my goal for this, I just want to be able to get stuff down and reach 50k, so if a couple of genders swap between pages, who cares? :-)

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007
11 days in and I'm sitting (relatively) pretty on 18741 words. I've got extra time today some I'm hoping (hah!) to get a double stint done in case the weekend goes pear-shaped, which is entirely possible. I've got no plot and no plan, just going with "Hmm, what should character xyz get up to today" and seeing where things lead. For example, this morning involves an exit interview that requires an audit-approved green folder and a Glock.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

:woop: 25,607 - half way!:woop:

I'm also realizing that I need to add like at least one more scene in for testing the space ship's FTL system. Also that I'm bad at physics and have no idea how much the Coriolis effect would influence a game of curling held on a space station.

But screw it, I'll worry about that later.

In terms of Nano, the answer is "exactly as much as you want it to." That's what December edits are for!

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007
33,020 words as of last night. I was running short on ideas of what to do/steal/blow up next, and eventually thought "hmm, the South China Sea was in the news recently. Let's put a Chinese research/ballistic missile tracking ship out there in disputed territory and blow it up (explosion tonight hopefully)."

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007
drat, that's crazy. I've seen updates from people who've hit 50k in 12, 16 hours or so, but 1M? Wikipedia must be reeling from all those cuts :-)

I've had a real struggle three days out of the last four, but luckily I've had a buffer from the first 18 days or so. I'll be on target after tonight to finish at the standard rate of 1667 words per day, but I want to get out in front of the curve again, in case the weekend goes pear shaped. I've got a 4 hour meeting tomorrow, I wonder if anyone will notice if I write during it instead...

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

magnificent7 posted:

Well well. All I need to win is 30,000 words. This weekend. Totally doable. 10K a day. Oh it's possible. I hope.

That's why coffee was invented. Oh, and it helps if you live right next to an international date line, you can pop back in time by a day and gain a whole extra 24 hours!

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007
44,571. So close I can almost taste it.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007
I had an 80 word Saturday. Yikes. Fortunately I was ahead enough that 1800 words for the next two days will get me over the time. I want to pour out 2k+ tonight so I don't have too much of a panic on Monday. So nearly there, everyone! Keep it up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007
50086 words verified. The "story" for want of a better word isn't done, but I've hit the number. Feels good.

• Locked thread