Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
'Bout that time, eh chaps? Righto.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/thearchimage

I'd feel a lot better about winning the last four years if I had gotten any writing at all done outside of November. This time I am starting with nothing; no plot, no characters, no setpieces, no premise. I never had much of a plan in previous years either, but... well, we will see what comes of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
I'm up past my bedtime but I managed a little over 1000 words in an hour! I'm going to be at a write-in nearly all day tomorrow, so hopefully I can stay at or near that pace!

Tiger posted:

I'm gonna write a post-apocalyptic "everything just keeps getting worse" story. I don't know if it has any particular name; I can't think of any examples other than Fargo and Breaking Bad. My mission (other than writing 50k) is to have a story that makes people go "wow, what a bad sitch these guys are in, I wonder how they get out" and if they skip ahead a few chapters they're still not out; in fact it's gotten worse.
Not post-apocalyptic except in the personal sense, but Requiem for a Dream also fits the bill I'd say. My younger brother calls this sub-genre "miserablist"; doesn't look like the name's really caught on elsewhere, though.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

TequilaJesus posted:

Same problem here. It's hard to keep powering through when I know the words behind me need editing.

I shall not edit. Editing is the mind killer.

Seriously though, editing is for December. If you really think a section needs work, highlite it and move on. Alternatively you can rewrite a troublesome section from scratch so long as you save the original so you can compare them later.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
I'm at 7325 right now, I might be able to do another couple hundred words tonight. I'm ahead of par but behind where I'd like to be. I'm helping a friend do an Extra Life thing on the 7th and I want to make sure I've got enough of a lead that I can afford to take a day mostly off.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
Yes! Broke 10,000 words!

Now I should go eat something besides leftover Halloween candy.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
I know this was shared in the previous version of this thread, but was it a goon that wrote up Nano Numbers? It lets you plot out and compare your words/day against your writing buddies on a single screen. It was a great ego boost/motivating factor for me last year, but it doesn't appear to have been updated for 2015. Is there anything else like it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
Just validated at 50,353. That's over 50,000 words of total, worthless poo poo, but it is my poo poo and that makes it glorious in mine eyes.

Still going to try and do more, but without the pressure I'm not sure how much more I can add.

• Locked thread