Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Nighthand posted:

Watching your word count skyrocket and you hit 50K by like, day 3, is a goddamn treat every year. I just wish I could see public reactions somewhere.

Last year, I did a 24 hour write-in and one of the people I met there did something exactly like this. Hell, I think she wrote 50k words just during that 24 hour period, all while socializing with a bunch of us.

It was this ungodly combination of being able to type as fast as she thinks and think as fast as she types.

Oh yeah, I guess I'm doing this again this year. Woke up early, already have a thousand words written before noon. I'd like to clear 2k words before my friends drag me out to socialize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

TequilaJesus posted:

Same problem here. It's hard to keep powering through when I know the words behind me need editing.

One of the main goals of this exercise is to minimize that habit.

Anyway, I've already hit 1700 words and took a break to grab a beer with some friends. I'm gonna keep plodding along 100 hundred words at a time and see where I end up by midnight.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I continued to squeeze out about 100 words at a time, and wound up with roughly 3000 by midnight. Not a bad start but the beginning and end are the easy part. It's that middle mess that always trips me up.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

J.A.B.C. posted:

Day two.

650 words.

I had to have a funk now. Kill me. :cripes:

Don't sweat it! Last year, at the halfway point I only had something like 10k words. I went to a 24 hour write-in and caught up by somehow churning out 15k words in 24 hours. It was grueling, but somehow fun.

I just barely managed to clear 5k words tonight, which puts me a full day ahead. I want to keep building up a buffer space, since I know there will be bad days where I just don't have time to write.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I just breezed on up to 6.6k and will probably continue to squeeze out a few words at a time to land on 7k for today.

This seems a lot easier than I remember. I'm dreading the hurdle where I hit that great murky middle.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Ending today at 7.1k. Suddenly realizing that character development is happening way too quickly! Have to go back in time and write some more scenes for characterization. This will be fun.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Started strong in the morning, but I ended up phoning it in towards the end. Wrote just over the bare minimum with 1700 words, but at least it's still adding on to that buffer. Got ~8.8k right now, so I'm still well ahead of the curve.

Local group is having a write-in at the library tomorrow, so I'm gonna show up to that and probably not get any writing done at all because those tend to be used more for socializing.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Wasn't feeling terribly well today, but I also didn't want to start burning up my buffer this early. Just barely managed to churn out 1700 words in the last three hours of the day.

I swear, if I come down with the flu tomorrow I am going to be pissed.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
It's a bad idea even when you are finished.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I think I'm slowing down a bit, but it's actually only 8 PM which is earlier than I started writing yesterday. How odd.

Managed to crank out another 1700 words today, putting me at about 12k. I just know one of these days something is going to come up and I'm going to have to miss three days in a row, and I will be so drat thankful that I have a buffer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I didn't write at all yesterday :(

Thankfully that's what the buffer is for, but I actually have to write quite fervently today to keep pace!

• Locked thread