Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
I've been anxious about announcing here before I was sure about actually participating, but now I am! I went to a local kickoff (or rather, pre-nano hype session since it's not the 1st here yet) and even got a concept for what I'm going to write.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/pilzeman

I'm gonna write a post-apocalyptic "everything just keeps getting worse" story. I don't know if it has any particular name; I can't think of any examples other than Fargo and Breaking Bad. My mission (other than writing 50k) is to have a story that makes people go "wow, what a bad sitch these guys are in, I wonder how they get out" and if they skip ahead a few chapters they're still not out; in fact it's gotten worse. Just the same escalating situation for the entire book. I have no idea if I can pull it off.

Two hours till midnight here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
I barely got over 1667 a quarter to midnight, and then did a word war that let me finish the first day on 1951 words! And I think I even know where my story's going, too.

I started writing before I did, so I wrote a chase and fight scene that popped into my head. Then I went back and wrote the pre-heist briefing, and now I have several chapters to write to connect the two scenes. It's great! Don't feel like you have to start writing at the beginning.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
I started prepping like two hours before midnight, and about half of my time was spent generating this post-apocalyptic name list:

Mozzie, Silence Toad, Doctor Marten, Mother Ebenholts, Colonel VonAntwerpen, Adblock, Popsicle, Thumper, Chilly Kelly, Chilly Vanilly, Hangry, Ferrarity, Deere, Oompa, Heavenly, Harper Lee, Moby Dictionary, Wallapalooza, No-Fish, the Wicked Witch, Daydream, Penance, Zdraveite, Jr., 1981, KGBeast, Sticker, Spot, Runner, Bigshot, Lottie Trouble, Tallman

And now, Antichrist Gates. Fits right in. Thanks!

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
Mozzie, Silence Toad and Doctor Marten are the main characters. Silence prefers if you only use the first half of her name. They're pulling a heist on Mother Ebenholts, where they're going to poison or abduct (haven't decided) her son Colonel VonAntwerpen.

They have so far killed henchmen Popsicle, Thumper, Chilly Kelly (her brother Chilly Vanilly is furious), Hangry and Ferrarrity; paralyzed Tommygun from the neck down, and they're about to take Adblock hostage. I really love naming post-apocalypse characters.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
On the plus side, you got quite a lot of words in the title!

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe

zonohedron posted:

I know this wasn't directed to me, but I have a Silence Toad in my novel now. He is a baker.

That's awesome! I'm so happy my name is spreading. (As in, the name I came up with. It's not my name.)

In other Silence Toad news, my Silence (she dislikes the "Toad" part) can close her eyes, block out all sounds, and listen to the voices of ghosts. They mostly shout, call her fat and stupid, and clamour for being listened to because noone else can listen to ghosts and they can't do anything but speak.

I swear I had no plan whatsoever on anybody doing this in my novel, and specifically the name "Silence" was not chosen for thematic purposes. It was very organic, and suddenly Silence had silence- and listening-based superpowers.

That chapter helped me catch up after being away for the weekend, so now I'm at 16k. We're having a local write-in today, and I'm free to say there for like 6 hours. Tonight I'm finally gonna get ahead of that diagonal line!

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
My mission statement plot-wise was "everything starts going south, and then it never gets better", so I'm very free to just kill people off like I just don't care. Because I don't.

I've apparently gotten into a habit where I almost always finish the day's quota before I go to bed, but that happens like 2 a.m. the next day... Doesn't feel like the best schedule, but I'm surprisingly steadfast.

However, Jessica Jones drops on Netflix tomorrow. I don't know how to feel about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

Fun Shoe
Done!

In the last hundred stretch, I updated obsessively, and when I was at 49989 I wrote a sentence, put down the full stop, and realised it was exactly 11 words long. So I validated (and the ShareLaTeX word counter apparently sucks at swedish, because the NaNo one told me I had 50266) and just stopped writing there. I think it was at the end of a paragraph, but not the end of a chapter and definitely not the story. I'm going to need at least 10k more to reach something resembling a conclusion. I hope I can manage to pick it up in a few days and do that, because I really want to edit this story and put it somewhere for my friends to read.

Also yay I don't get banned because of my toxx in the Long Walk thread.

• Locked thread