Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd
I tried two years ago and failed horribly, so, uh, time to take another stab at it!

This time, I've actually noticed well in advance that NaNoWriMo is happening, with the result that I'm now working on an outline. Maybe that will help - last time I was trying to make it up as I went. I certainly feel more confident this time.

Feel free to add me: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/tayacan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd
I've got a fairly thorough outline by now. A few parts are still sketchy - I know, for example, that my main character needs to gain a certain piece of information at a certain point in the story, but not how this is going to happen.

Actually, let me just show you what I made today:

Each card represents a scene. An orange post-it means that it's an action-y scene. PoV characters are highlighted in different colors (orange is the main character, obviously). Also written on the cards are what characters are present, what the mood of the scene should be like, and some free text which is just whatever I felt was relevant.

It's incomplete - there's less than 30 scenes so far, which probably isn't enough, but I expect that many of the almost-blank ones will be expanded into multiple scenes. This is mostly the crucial plot-bits.

Right now it's sort of organized in a three-act structure - act 1 is the first column, act 2 gets the next three, and act 3 is the last two. Act 2 is split by major setbacks, act 3 is split just after the final battle - the last two scenes are just winding down and tying up loose ends.

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd

magnificent7 posted:

drat that's good.

Thanks!

Last time I tried NaNoWriMo (which was also the last time I tried to write any kind of long fiction), I was woefully under-prepared, so this time, I'm trying the other extreme.

It has proven useful for spotting places where there's, idk, too much of the same thing, I guess. Like in act 2, I had a long bit that was just the main character going about her business, not interacting with the other two viewpoint characters at all. And I only noticed it after laying it out like this, with the colored highlights and stuff. So I decided to add a scene with the other two, showing what they're up to in the meantime, which I think will actually end up being a fairly important characterization scene.

And if you look at the 4th column, there's no action at all there - I might change that tomorrow, or I might just decide that it's fine. But at least I'm aware of it now.

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd
My timezone is just over two hours from midnight.

The plan is to stay up and write until 5 or 6, crash, and then get up and write some more in the afternoon.

Gonna try to hit at least 3.3k today - twice the daily average needed, to get a little bit of a head start.

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd

zonohedron posted:

So last year I didn't do NaNoWriMo because I was pregnant, had an extremely active toddler, and was moving. This year I am not pregnant, but I have an even-more-active toddler, a super-inquisitive crawler, and my husband has a two-hour commute each way every weekday, so obviously conditions will be better :j:

There's always something. Gotta just jump in anyway.

In other news, it's nearly 4AM here, and I'm crawling slow and steady towards 3000 words. Starting to get tired, but I've got half a can of soda sitting open on the table, so I'm just gonna keep typing until that's empty.

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd
I managed 3999 yesterday. So I'm definitely getting to 5k today.

And the ideas have begun tumbling into my head again, which is a relief, because my 28-scene outline would not have been enough, I think. And it would have been a sad excuse for a story, bare bones and lean meat. Needs to be fattened up with details and character-building moments and all that poo poo.

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd
Got to 10k today! And then I kept writing and got to 11k.

It's only 9PM here, so let's see if I can make it to 12k before bedtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd
I'm confused about people who don't compulsively save after every other sentence. (You should make it a habit to save after every other sentence.)

In other news, I'm pulling further and further ahead of the plan - 17k plus some change as of today. And I went to a write-in, which was fun.

• Locked thread