Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I have such a love-hate relationship with NaNo :shepicide: My problem is that I have won every single year I've tried (this is my seventh!) and now I don't want to break the streak. So no matter how busy November is (and it's always very busy) I force myself to not only do it but also to win.

On the plus side I've edited a few of them up and chucked them on Amazon for beer money so I guess it works out.

Sitting at 18k right now on this year's little project. I just want to play video games, man.

Edit: and yeah I can't say enough good things about Scrivener. Been using it for a couple years and I dunno how I lived without it. They'll probably hand out a 50% off coupon at the end of the event again so if anyone wants it let me know in December :)

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

The Strangest Finch posted:

Do you use the tag function at all?

I actually don't; I get the feeling that there are a ton of things in Scrivener that I haven't figured out/don't use because it's that in-depth of a program. Anyone who wants to share their tips and tricks please do so!

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Cthulu Carl posted:

:woop: 25,607 - half way!:woop:

:):hf::)

Ending the night at 26,078 myself. I would have liked more of a buffer but I've had a couple of off days.

And yeah, "Fix it in December" is my motto for NaNo. One thing that I do to keep my momentum up is put notes to myself in brackets right in the middle of the text... mid-sentence if I have to. "[go back and double check this later]", "[add more backstory for this later]", etc. etc. It's free word count plus a note to yourself when you get around to edits later.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

My NaNo originally started out as an attempt at a "serious" fantasy story, but at some point it got ridiculous so I decided to run with it and now it's some sort of absurd Dwarf Fortress parody.

I have no idea how I'm going to salvage this but at least I'm at 27,764 words, damnit!

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

We had some serious wind all day up here in Montana. You could hear it howling through the trees :ohdear:

I passed 30k so it's finally all downhill from here though!

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

34,566. I can feel the end creeping nearer and nearer. Not gonna lie, I'm ready for it to be over this year. I'm not really stoked about my story - I'm having fun writing it but it doesn't really feel like something salvageable, haha.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

RedTonic posted:

100,000 words per day seems, uh, unlikely.

I mean, I can see it you type 100 words per minute and you're writing pure nonstop stream of consciousness, maybe? Who knows :psyduck:

I'm finally getting to the action stuff in my project so it's picking up a bit. I'm currently on course to finish a day early. It would be nice to finish even earlier but I'm in retail and this week is Black Friday, sooooo...

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I was gripped with sudden inspiration for a completely unrelated short story last night, so I wrote it and then cheated and included it in my total novel word count.

I figure, it's all creative writing, it works.

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 24, 2015

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Thanks to Thanksgiving/Black Friday (I work in retail) I managed to use all of my emergency buffer so now I'm back down at par. Hoping to maybe edge ahead again today. I'm really ready to win this thing already.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Things are starting to pick up a bit in my story so I'm rocking it. Up to 47,327 today. Might hit goal a day early if I feel up to it! :toot:

The NaNoWordSprints twitter account and a kitchen timer are both live savers; I've been getting a lot done thanks to those two things. When the twitter tells me to write for 20 minutes, I set my timer to 20 minutes and just nonstop write. Massively helpful.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I was hoping to wrap this thing up today but then I got stuck at work for forever so I didn't have a lot of time. I'm at 48,849 so unless something terrible happens I should still be good to finish up tomorrow, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

50,248. My seventh NaNo win in a row. :toot:

Congrats to all the winners in this thread and great writing, anyone else who even managed to squeak a few words out!

• Locked thread