Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Man, it's Nov 1st already, I didn't really do any planning like I did last time. I have no idea what to write,but I feel like I need something to kick my butt to get back into writing. I've mapped out some basic ideas (some that I've had sitting for a long time), but I'm not sure I really feel super excited enough to write them. I've been on a slump for a long time. :(

The last thing I wrote was a short story that I've been trying unsuccessfully to find a publisher for, that was about a year ago.

I guess my problem is, I plan out some characters and basic ideas for a story, but I have no idea where it's going, or what the theme of the story is, rather than just a bunch of things happening. Then I start something new and the same thing happens.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Well, at least I got 191 words in. I have a bad feeling it's going to be like last time (I think 2 years ago) of constantly being behind, but I'm going to try drat it.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

I guess I should go to bed, since I have to get up early tomorrow. I have 900 words today, putting me up to 1,093 total, about 2,200 words in the hole. I have some idea of theme, which is good, but I have no idea who the main protagonist is, or what the main conflict will be.

Here's my profile: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/foolster41

The synopsis is stupid sounding, but I didn't know what to write since I don't quite know yet what the story's about. :P

Edit: The word count always confuses me. I keep thinking I'm supposed to put in the #words I wrote on that day, but it looks like it's the total words so far for all the days at that point. (i.e. if you write 193 on the first day and then 900 on the second, you put 10,93 for day 2, not 900.).

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 3, 2015

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

I keep doing about 55-75 words at a time during my 10 minute breaks in the morning. I think of ideas in my head while I'm working and then jot it all down furiously in my breaks.

I'm up to 1,379, still quite a bit behind (though the night's not over yet) with lots of small bits of gaps I need to sew up.

ed: I do have the idea of the final confrontation down, which is good, but I don't a clear idea of who the big bad guy is exactly.

I've been thinking of this story as being a sort of Studio-Ghibli style fantasy adventure, if that makes sense.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Went to the tail-end of the write-in that I could to after getting home from work, and then some people in the chat wanted to get together on Skype ,so we did, reading a bit of what we were writing, getting feedback and doing a word sprint with a prompt.

My word count is now 2,718. I did a good chunk more, but I'm still a bit behind and I need to get myself to pick up the pace.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Sitting waiting for an interview I wrote out about 200 words, now i"m at 3,727. I'm caught up to Monday at least, so I'm only 3 days behind...

I think I've pretty much written the basics of what will happen so unless I have a lot of padding or unexpected scenes this might end up being a short story instead of a full novel. If I do descide it's a short story I'll try to start a new story to bring my total to 50,000.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

So just got back from a local write-in. I was welcomed and then everyone just sat and wrote furiously for a bit. I guess I was expecting some small form of interaction with prompt/word sprints and maybe a chance to interact and bounce ideas. Having a reletively distraction free writing space was nice, but not really worth the distance I went.

I haven't done a complete count but I did somewhere around 300 words in the two hours of writing, which isn't great, though while I did get some new ideas for breaking through I'm still at a fairly rough bit in writing.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

I'm still pretty stuck on the same scene I've been at for the last few days. I'm at 8,000 words, so still about 10,000 behind.
I just feel like I don't know what kinds of flaws my character is working through, or what kind of arc she should have. This is a point where it seems she would work through that, she's in a dark pit talking to a very creepy snake-dragon thing.

Sadly it feels like this confrontation is just the same confrontation as the final one where she has to push through despite it being hard in order to succeed.

I like the idea that the snake is this sort of knowledge collector/scrying thing that knows a lot of her secrets, and so a lot of what he says to hurt her, and possibly prevent her from progressing is in fact true, so she has to confront that. One idea was she had set out on her own to get a job in a town away from her family as a way of proving her independence, but the snake confronts her with the fact that really she never expected to succeed, that she kind of wanted to fail.
I'm not sure this makes much sense, or really fits with the character.

right now he's zapping her, hurting her and saying that this is a taste of the pain of what the BBG can do and he's just doing it to realize what a mistake she's making, but as I said, the resolution feels too same-ish as the final confrontation with the BBG.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

My most productive day so far, with 1,808 words.

Yeah, I haven't been doing very good at keeping pace. :P

I wrote 16 words yesterday, and nothing in the last 3 days before that.

I did get finally past the 10,000 mark and at least got over a point I was stuck at. I still don't know how on earth I'm going to add enough stuff happening to cover 40,000 more words to get to the finale without it being repetitious.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Working full time this week and visiting family one at a time right after work means I've had very little time to write this week. Closing in on the final 5 days and I have 10,377.

There's always December I guess to try to finish this, but I'd like to win one of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

3 hours to go with 10,647, so 39,353 words to go. Still, I have what I feel is a pretty complete story (there's one small gap I need to fill yet). I'm not really sure how I'd make it longer to novel length without padding it and being repetitious, so maybe this is meant to be a longish short story.

• Locked thread