Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I used the snowflake method to come up with a plot summary, that will help me stay on track, I think.

Basically I started with a one sentence summary, then made a one paragraph summary. Then made a paragraph out of each of the sentences in the original paragraph summary, and just went from there.

Now my summary is 3 pages and 1400 words.

We shall see what happens.

I've got a buncha goons from 2011.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/jonharb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

The Strangest Finch posted:

Nice work!

Be careful though, I had that mentality the year before last, and while I did ultimately finish the 50k commitment for November, I was left feeling like I hadn't really even gotten to the part of the story I'd wanted to tell. If I could have redone it, I probably would have just cut out 2/3 of what my November manuscript included and gone straight for the meat of the story (which, because I was ok with it being "too long for 50k", I didn't even start touching on until the last week of November).
I'm worried that I'm going to have the opposite problem. I came up with a 3 page plot summary to use as guidance for Nanowrimo, and I'm near 17k words right now, and about part of the way through the third page of the summary that I have. I feel like I've got enough story to get to 30k, but not sure what I'm going to do. This isn't a short story, but probably more barebones then I intended. Maybe I'll have to go back through and flesh things out to reach 50k... I'm a little worried that I'll lose steam doing that.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Pikestaff posted:

And yeah, "Fix it in December" is my motto for NaNo. One thing that I do to keep my momentum up is put notes to myself in brackets right in the middle of the text... mid-sentence if I have to. "[go back and double check this later]", "[add more backstory for this later]", etc. etc. It's free word count plus a note to yourself when you get around to edits later.
This has been really effective for me, as well.

In the past, I'd always get off course easily with "research", but now I'll make up a value in brackets, or just BS something, so that I don't head to Google or Wikipedia. Huge timesaver.

I'm at 27,007.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
I'm at 38,679 and worried about the end of the month with activities and stuff, so trying to write more.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
Only 2,439 words left. Heading on vacation tomorrow morning until Monday. I'm a little worried about getting this done. I may have to try to finish today, although I usually do my writing in the morning.

• Locked thread