Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Oh geesh, November 3 already.

I first tried NaNoWriMo in 2007, only got to 8500 words. Then I did 20,450 in 2008, 12,000 in 2009, and my current record, 31,400 in 2010. I haven't participated since, except a half-assed effort a couple years ago that I don't think even broke 1K. This year I was feeling nostalgic and thought about trying once again this year. Thanks to work, though, I'm a couple days late getting started.

I've spent the last couple hours prepping myself mentally (ie getting a nice buzz going), and trying to decide which of the two ideas I want to go with. The first is following some young adults the day before the world comes to an end. Not the most original ideas, but the story would basically be an examination of how normal everyday people cope with all these questions of existentialism and life and death.

The other idea is a dumb Star Trek parody following a bunch of dumb stoner "red-shirts" going about their day-to-day lives on a star-ship, inspired by the fact I've been binging through Deep Space Nice lately.

I'm gonna go with the space story. Yeah, I'm aware it's the same premise as an existing popular book (which I haven't read) and god knows how many other stories/books/TV shows/movies/games, but gently caress it. The end of the world story is liable to get kinda heavy for a fun month-long activity, and I'd feel compelled to treat it with the seriousness and dignity the topics deserve, and end up killing myself after dwelling on such topics for a whole month. Meanwhile, with the space ship story, I get stuck? Oh no, Ensign Tolax got a laser to the face and the ship has been boarded by a bunch of hostile not-Klingons! What will happen to Junior Security Officer..um *looks at previous post* Horaych?!? (Totally gonna steal and mutate usernames from this and other threads when I get stuck with naming.)

Only problem is the most obvious title has already been taken (and then some!), but whatever.

Here's my profile http://nanowrimo.org/participants/Eh_Frank Looks like I have people added from the last time(s) I've tried this, though the site seems to have lost all info on the stories I attempted then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread