Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

OH yeah, let's do this.

http://nanowrimo.org/participants/cthulhucarl

This one will be fun because I nuked a setting I'd been using for my first NaNos. Of course, I haven't done anything with those and they were all irredeemable crap, so nuking will probably be good for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

magnificent7 posted:

Has anybody already started plotting out their story? Characters? Or are you just going to pants it? I can't do that. Half my MS would be, "why am I doing this jesus I should go back to sleep." over and over.

I wrote 2,000 words today, just world building, characters, key events, you DO at least have your start and your ending, right? At least that way, you have a vague idea of what you're working towards. It really helps when you get stuck.

Four years ago when I signed up, I had no idea what I was doing, except that I was going to redefine the world of literature. And I totally did; at least as far as my own perspective. There is a huge gaping difference between telling a story and stringing 50,000 words together. A painfully huge, boring, confusing chasm.

I already have mine pretty well planned out for what I'll be writing each day. And most of the characters are named except for a few essentially interchangeable suits (And a genetically modified squid).

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I just realized Scrivener has a name generator.

This has either made things much easier for me, or much more difficult...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

soupcan58 posted:

Wait, what? I've been using that for two years and never knew that was anywhere in there. Where did you find it at?

Tools -> Writing Tools -> Name Generator

It gave me Antichrist Gates in the first batch of names, so it's gotta be good!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I got to 1774 today watching the Cosmos marathon on NatGeo. I was tempted to do some more so I can build up a buffer for the times I'll inevitably want to take a day off, but I wonder if writing too much at the beginning has been what's MADE me want to take days off in the first place. Guess we'll see how it goes...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Slightly over par at 3544. I'm cool with that. i wrote one of the flashbacks that will probably contribute absolutely nothing to the story, but it was fun.

And I had a guy show Prisoner Ingenuity and hack a space port-a-potty into a vent hood so him an a few buddies can smoke in Space Gitmo.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hit 5,332 today. I'm kind of digging this more relaxed "Just shoot for a bit over the minumum" pace I've taken.

It weird though, the overall plot is about building a ship capable of faster-than-light travel and is set on and round planets orbiting Tau Ceti, but... today I was writing about the cockpit of the B-29 and the Bell X-1. Also I have an air field named after one of the old names for Area 51.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Wasn't really feeling it today, but still managed to plod my way to 6,682.

Still feel good. I had enough of a buffer that I only had to hit ~1300 words. Previous years, I'd try to get enough of a buffer to take a day off once a week and that seemed to hurt my motivation. So I'll try this way and see how it works.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I felt like my head was exploding yesterday because of a sinus headache so did exactly jack poo poo once I got home from work.

Fortunately, I had scheduled today off - because gently caress working on your birthday - and so I had plenty of time to catch up while writing about the design of the Soyuz capsule, time dilation, and some weird rear end, space version of imperial overstretch. Now I'm at 10,195. Might do some more later tonight. or I might play Yoshi's Wooly World. Dunno yet.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

FFFfffffffffffuuuuuuucucccck

I just typed up ~1800 words, but between network issues with my laptop and the fact that I moronically left the file open on my desktop, Scrivener and Google Drive poo poo the bed. I've checked ten different previous versions of my project, and only one of them even has the text file in the right folder... But it has ZERO WORDS.

:negative:

So much for doing anything other than write tonight...

I think I'm actually most pissed that I wasted a documentary on General Tso's Chicken for that writing session.

EDIT: Aaaand a miracle just happened. I went to the next folder in Scrivener because gently caress typing all that stuff up again, added a new text entry, and... It added a new text entry with all 1,887 words I typed earlier already added. I don't even understand how that worked because I typed all that up on my laptop and added this entry on my desktop.... gently caress it.

I don't care.

I'm at 13,845. And now I'm probably going to drink.

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 8, 2015

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Got to 15,639 and only got distracted by wikipedia once. I was trying to find the right term for the style of roller coaster restraint that goes over your shoulders - i guess it's just 'over-the-shoulder restraints.'

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I make sure I have enough to right by breaking things up into ~30 chunks. Some of it will get combined into chapters, some split off to other chapters with more added. Some have pretty several sentences of summary so I know what points i wanted to hit, some are single sentences or even just something like "Argument about space toilet."

Slogged my way to 17,339. Whodathunk that writing about people coming out of suspended animation in a facility like a capsule hotel would make me sympathetically tired and slightly claustrophobic?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lost a fair bit of my buffer when I petered out and ended up taking a quick nap while writing. But I'm still got to 18,540 so I'm still doing all right. Also that was a good nap.

I've decided to start keeping track of my quick research bouts. So far I'm at:

- Altitude Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier
- Distance between Tau Ceti and Delta Pavonis
- Time to travel that distance at .7c (with and without time dilation factored in - Thanks, Wolfram|Alpha)
- How the computer for the Apollo spacecraft was built
- Canaanite deities
- Pictures of capsule hotels
- Philistine names
- Pictures of a B-29 cockpit
- Lifespan of crows and ravens

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Had a bit of a slump the past couple days. I was still writing but only the bare minimum I had to do to hit the day's goal on the Nano sites chart.

Today, though? Back in the swing of it. Shat out almost 2,000 words about Zeno's paradoxes, Medieval Christian dietary rules, Alcubierre drives, wormholes and exotic matter, and to cap it all off, I introduced a sentient crow spaceship designer.

I'm at 22,109 now.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

:woop: 25,607 - half way!:woop:

I'm also realizing that I need to add like at least one more scene in for testing the space ship's FTL system. Also that I'm bad at physics and have no idea how much the Coriolis effect would influence a game of curling held on a space station.

But screw it, I'll worry about that later.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I was sleepy as hell today and kept getting texts from my sister asking painfully vague questions about sci-fi novels that I was still able to answer in like ten seconds.

Still managed to get to 28,637, though. And I keep thinking of more things to insert so I might be axing the flashback space mutiny crap sooner than I thought (still keeping it for word count).

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Kinda half-assed things today, but still got to 30,072

Should do better tomorrow when the poo poo Hits the Fan.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

magnificent7 posted:

I threw a guy off my train just to make the story interesting. I imagine that's how JJ Abrams writes scripts.

I just had Mission Control watch as a spaceship disappeared, leaving only a few scraps of debris behind.

32,221 after trying to come up with disturbingly detached terms for everything - Things didn't go wrong, the mission has had a deviation. Pay no attention to the locking doors and the camera feeds being cut.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Skipped writing yesterday, but fortunately football seems to be conducive for writing because I made up the gap and then some.

35,780 right now. Might try to do another double tomorrow during more football to get ahead of my inevitable Thanksgiving don't-give-a-gently caress spell.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I think I'm starting to come down with a cold and after feeling like a zombie all day was tempted to skip writing. But I went for it and typed 2,006 words while falling asleep. There's a lot of talk of isles. Which I have no idea because this is taking place on a space station. I can also pick out when I started fading because it lookes like this:

quote:

The agent looozkaa tt hhie aand sia pppeeopoo poo doos j
I’m seriously starting to fall asleep tiright now.\
[Bizarre rambling about isles and gold teeth that is strangely free of typos.]

Either way, I'm at 39,058.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Got to 40,514 today by doing another installment of the mutiny flashback side plot. Although the mutineers started on basically a penal space station, so I had to get them on the crew of a ship. Queue a series of highly coincidental, Final Destination-esque (but totally not suspicious at all, nosiree! Here, I'll even try on that glove!) deaths for for several of a visiting ships crew members!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

43,823. I was pretty consistent in getting over the quota earlier in the month so now as long as I hit ~1200 words a day for the rest of the month I'll be good.

Maybe I'll actually DO something with this one...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Slow day at work, so I ditched early to write. Got to 45,472 by going into necessary detail about a woman using a space toilet. Fortunately, most of the detail is about the space toilet itself and NOT her... Um, production?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

47,890 :woop:

I have ZERO motivation to write on monday, so I think I'm going to pull a double tomorrow and just put this fucker to bed.I already got a bunch of notes on what i want to add, what i want to take out, and what I want to change. I plan on taking a break to work on some other stuff, but Then I'll start editing this heap of garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Done!

50,446 words after validation.

Great. Finally done and I can put this steaming pile to bed for a month before I think about maybe getting around to editing it.

• Locked thread