Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It's really interesting to see how the tabletop simulator works. In the end of it, complaining about misaligned pieces is just about as real as it gets. As for Catan, I'd always wanted to play it. It seems a lot easier to understand than I had thought. Getting to watch it played by new players and some with experience helps move things along nicely. Can't wait to see what other games you can play on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Hero Quest actually seems like a very nice more casual way to do DnD. Maybe not for pulling off insane crazy things, but it turned out better than most of my sessions. I'd get it myself if it didn't apparently cost an arm and a leg. Also. I can't believe how many times snake eyes got rolled that session.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I'm really enjoying Betrayal. I've seen it in the local shop a few times and though about picking it up, but don't think I'd get much opportunity to play it. It seems like there's a lot of situations of not knowing what the game rules are. Generally from things not seeming to be stated very well.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

My main complaint about Hero Quest right now, and it comes up especially with this jump to a further quest, is that there isn't really any sense of progression. It doesn't feel like anything has changed. I'm sure once you're buying more offensive and defensive equipment it can feel like you're stronger, but at the end of it nothing has really changed. At first I thought it was interesting that everyone's stats would stay the same, but without anything other than equipment to change things up it just feels bland. Like an adventure that stays in the tutorial level sort of. It is especially apparent since all the spells are unlocked from the get go. Maybe a way to fix this issue, would be that after a few levels you get new abilities. Nothing tied to exp or anything, but like after the fifth dungeon the warrior gets a strong attack he can use once or twice per level or something. And having different characters gain something every so often, not all at the same time would make it feel more adventurous. Or even better, say killing your main objective gives you something that gives these abilities. Then it'd feel like you're actually working towards and getting stronger in order to defeat this Zargon.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It would definitely be nice to see at least one quick episode of the next set, just as a comparison for the LP. But I suppose that would come down to it actually having been made into the game. Are we going to see any of the other games in that Backgammon Chess and Checkers episode? I saw Go in there, but I doubt it'd be a very interesting watch despite how much I'd like to see others play it.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Just do what you can so you can show off as many games as possible. If that means longer breaks between videos then so be it I say. Unless you wanted to do something where you have big games like Heroe's Quest come out when possible, and fill the space with shorter videos showing off some more simpler games. If you can even do that. I don't know what's all out there. Card games are usually quicker. I just got Love Letter which is a really quick and easy card game to get into. But can have a little bit of strategy to it when played with multiple people. But can still be played 2 player.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I have yet to play Carcassone with more than just me and someone else. I only have the base game but it has a wonderful blend of simple yet highly strategic game play. I think my favourite part of it though is the worlds you end up building in it. Something about the generating map is really pleasant to see come to fruition.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Legendary is a pretty fun game when everyone understands how to play it. Once you get a flow going it can all go by really quick. The best way to play it is to do everything completely randomly. From the mission, to the villain, to the enemies, to the heroes in play. It can make the game extremely hard but a lot more interesting. Such as, having some villains like The Blob who can only be defeated by an x-man character, but not having any x-men in your game. It forces you to try to move him so that he doesn't escape. But that said, the randomness can make the game extremely easy. But all the same, I think it's better than picking and choosing the best heroes and such.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It definitely doesn't give much to look at when all of the art is the same. Though, I don't expect them to do five plus drawings for each character. Some variety would be nice. Especially since different colour cards for each character have something different to them. Whenever we play with someone new, or if there is a group, we have everyone just pick their favourite character. It's only when you've played a lot of the game that doing it at random really changes the aspect. Personally, I always like having Nightcrawler in because his ability is really useful in a pinch, but always having him makes the game boring.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I went to my local game shop to see if they had Colt Express, and sadly they did not. There' one other place in town that might so I'll be heading there sometime soon. First time I've seen something in here that I really want to go and get. As per Carcassonne, it didn't even occur to me at any point watching that the rive connected absolutely everything. Considering the farms are meant to be an end game investment, you'd think they would have considered that greatly. Seeing that oversight, it feels like the river expansion was literally nothing more than to get people to spend more money on it. Over all it didn't really seem like it added a whole lot. That said, maybe having more than just one expansion in play can really change the game.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I suppose it really depends on how many times you want to return to the game. If you all don't feel like running a game per expansion, maybe when you want it to be the final round just do it with each and every one. I can only imagine that being the biggest gong show. So they only did that in the US? I suppose that's why my copy doesn't have it. If nothing else, aesthetically it looks really nice. I always enjoy games like this where you end up building a little world.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

So watching the Pokemon videos got me really wanting to play the TCG, I went and downloaded the official Pokemon TCG online game. I played a few rounds with the first decks it gives you and when I played grass I basically had the exact same thing happen to me as it did with The MCD. It kind of feels like grass types get trounced in this in general. I realize that it really depends on how the cards come to you, but that's just the experience I've had. And thinking back to the Gameboy game I don't ever remember winning with grass back then either.

On the other front, I'm going to get Tabletop Simulator the next time it goes on sale now.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

This game seems really cool and right up my alley. It has a similar thing going for it as Boss Monster, only more in depth and being a board game instead of just cards. That said, taking 50 minutes to explain the rules seems a bit excessive. Though it just seems like it's because of there being a lot of options as a Dungeon Lord to be and not from it being too complicated.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Since it was on sale I finally took the plunge and got the game. I'm actually surprised to see some of the games that are in the workshop. One I remember playing a lot as a kid is the Pokemon Master board game. I still have my physical copy of it in working condition, but the quality of it in TTS is actually quite amazing. And I found the Japan exclusive Legend of Zelda board game. If anyone is on the edge on whether or not to get the game, do it. Especially if it is still on sale.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Glad to see this has come back. I really enjoyed that match. Though, it continues to show that sometimes the Pokemon TCG gets to be very one sided.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It's clear you would need to have made at least two decks back in the day for any real competitive play then. Just in case the one you're playing also made a deck that can tear through opponents. Heck. You probably would need to do quite a few just in case to get the elemental advantages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

This sounds like a good way to do things. And it's pretty realistic to playing board games with friends as well. Hopefully everything goes well with your new job!

• Locked thread