Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I liked it a lot. I can see people hating it because there's not much "game" in it, even less so than Stanley Parable.. But I felt like it brought up enough interesting ideas and emotional considerations to make it worthwhile if you're in for something with a sort of introspective message. I've spent 2 hours and $10 on movies that were far worse than this and I still enjoyed, so I feel like it's money well spent. I would agree it requires a second play through if only to pay close attention to the actual words of the narration, because there is a lot of meaning hidden behind the actual phrasing. "I think this is what he was saying..." and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

icantfindaname posted:

I think in general people are taking the whole Davey/Coda thing way too much at face value. It's a thought experiment, and at the end of the day it doesn't actually matter if Coda is Davey or not. Coda could be literally anyone

it's about the relationship between the viewer of a piece of art and the creator in general

I agree with this. I didn't get the impression that the story was meant to be taken literally. I feel like the Davey/Coda story is a framework for posing a lot of different ideas and thoughts. There were a lot of things I think the game discusses:

* The conflict between creating something for yourself vs. for an audience
* Dealing with an audience that is unappreciative or misunderstanding your work
* Dealing with the demands of the audience to cater to their desires
* Dealing with depression or anxiety in your own way while other people are trying to tell you you're doing it wrong
* Dealing with a friend who is withdrawn and depressed and trying to 'fix' them because it will make YOU feel good, and realizing that it doesn't work that way
* Coming to terms with alienating a friend because you were selfish

But that is my own (mis)interpretation.

• Locked thread