Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004
Check the block number against the VIN.. Strange indeed.. Why would someone replace the 318 with the 6..? It opt for a cheap 360 with a few light mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Slack3r posted:

Check the block number against the VIN.. Strange indeed.. Why would someone replace the 318 with the 6..? It opt for a cheap 360 with a few light mods.

I checked the block and its a 225 from 1979-1980. Best guess is the original engine gave up the ghost and thats what was on hand to replace it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Senior Funkenstien posted:

I checked the block and its a 225 from 1979-1980. Best guess is the original engine gave up the ghost and thats what was on hand to replace it.

Which is doubly weird, those LA 318s are tough as hell. Maybe not 4L jeep tough, but pretty tough.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Alright guys so a little more info. I checked the block casting number and it is a 225 from 1968-1970. Also found a sticker in the engine bay that says it came with the 225. What I'm thinking is that the VIN on the dash is not the original. Any ideas where another VIN number would be?

So it seems that the 225 had the head replaced at some point with one from 1979-1980.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
1970 -74 A bodies all Dusters, Demons and Dart sports (fast backs): Have the VIN on the upper portion of the driver's side radiator core support package tray near speaker opening.

That's pulled from another site. Might wanna go poke around a bit.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

1970 -74 A bodies all Dusters, Demons and Dart sports (fast backs): Have the VIN on the upper portion of the driver's side radiator core support package tray near speaker opening.

That's pulled from another site. Might wanna go poke around a bit.

Yeah I read the same things. Checked the package tray and it said G6 which would mean 383 and built in 1966. Cant read the one on the radiator support but that wouldnt matter anyway since the front end is from a Demon.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Yeah I read the same things. Checked the package tray and it said G6 which would mean 383 and built in 1966. Cant read the one on the radiator support but that wouldnt matter anyway since the front end is from a Demon.

Well... poo poo. Sounds like you got yourself a bit of a Frankenstein, man.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Well... poo poo. Sounds like you got yourself a bit of a Frankenstein, man.

Yeah sure looks like it. In other news I'm trying to figure out the wiring so I can try and fire it up again but now I'm not sure what year wiring to look up!

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Did you replace the black box that controls the electronic ignition? They are notorious for going out. The orange high performance box is supposed to be a little better.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

djdanno13 posted:

Did you replace the black box that controls the electronic ignition? They are notorious for going out. The orange high performance box is supposed to be a little better.

Yeah I bought the orange box to replace that.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Its a long shot but can any mopar guys tell what year this bulkhead connector is from? The connector on the right has two bumps on the outside right of it instead of the one that I see on 1970 connectors.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

looks like the proper one for the era http://www.sweptline.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=34977#p253582

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

Its a long shot but can any mopar guys tell what year this bulkhead connector is from? The connector on the right has two bumps on the outside right of it instead of the one that I see on 1970 connectors.

Not that it really helps, but I've found several random errors/inconsistencies factory wiring diagrams for the ol' Plymouth duster. A test light / power probe is your best friend on a car like that!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

jhcain posted:

A test light / power probe is your best friend on a car like that!

Agreed. There's only 29 pins there, maximum. Go buy a cheap cable tracer (the kind with separate transmitter and receiver), a multimeter, or/and a test light, and do it the 'hard way' in about 30 minutes :). I personally recommend the 'multimeter in beep mode with long wires attached to the probes' method.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
I'll repeat the offer I at least had in my head previously- you're somewhere in the ATL metro, right? Let me know, and I'd be glad to swing by and assist. I like dusters.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

jhcain posted:

I'll repeat the offer I at least had in my head previously- you're somewhere in the ATL metro, right? Let me know, and I'd be glad to swing by and assist. I like dusters.

I suck at wiring. Have you had any experience rewiring one?

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

I suck at wiring. Have you had any experience rewiring one?

Yup. This one went a little different direction, but that makes yours even easier.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

jhcain posted:

Yup. This one went a little different direction, but that makes yours even easier.

Still wanna help? I have time saturday if your free.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

Still wanna help? I have time saturday if your free.

Sure, why not? It's easy, simple and painless!

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

jhcain posted:

Sure, why not? It's easy, simple and painless!

I hope so. The kit looks pretty good

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

I hope so. The kit looks pretty good

Oh, those kits are pretty good. A time consuming fiddly PITA, but that's what happens with a "universal" wiring harness. Meanwhile... Duster, Duster, DUSTER! Let's make it run.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

jhcain posted:

Oh, those kits are pretty good. A time consuming fiddly PITA, but that's what happens with a "universal" wiring harness. Meanwhile... Duster, Duster, DUSTER! Let's make it run.

Unfortunately things have come up and I wont be able to do much this weekend. I am going to give it a try by myself when i have time and maybe the stuff I dont understand you can help me with sometime next week.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

Unfortunately things have come up and I wont be able to do much this weekend. I am going to give it a try by myself when i have time and maybe the stuff I dont understand you can help me with sometime next week.

Go for it! A full harness install is a VERY time consuming job, particularly on an assembled car. Curious, what's got you wanting to tear it all out? Maybe I missed it in the previous posts...

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

jhcain posted:

Go for it! A full harness install is a VERY time consuming job, particularly on an assembled car. Curious, what's got you wanting to tear it all out? Maybe I missed it in the previous posts...

Basically I'm tired of fighting the old wiring. Putting in new is gonna make it less fire prone and I'll know the circuits better for when I go the EFI route.

Edit: I got all the seats out last night so thats gonna make things a little easier.

Senior Funkenstien fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 5, 2015

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
So I got the carpet and seats out so far. Going to run the wires back to the rear and up into the engine and stage everything.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
If you're gonna be working on it this weekend, let me know (post in here, PM me, or I'll post my phone number) and I might be able to lend a hand for a few hours. I'm on the south side of Atlanta, in Fayetteville.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Finally digging in to the wiring on the Duster. Slow going so far. Trying to get the dash wiring out and stage all the painless wiring sections.

Does anyone know what this is?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I don't know anything about old Mopars but that looks like the plug for the ignition switch or maybe the gauges, if it has a gauge cluster like a more modern car.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
That's most definitely a mopar gauge cluster connector.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
I hate to say it but I need help with this wiring. I thought I could do it myself but I am out of my depth here.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

I hate to say it but I need help with this wiring. I thought I could do it myself but I am out of my depth here.

Right oh. Let's see if we can't arrange an intervention. I'm pretty busy in the off hours with my little project, but can generally make time for a Duster.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

jhcain posted:

Right oh. Let's see if we can't arrange an intervention. I'm pretty busy in the off hours with my little project, but can generally make time for a Duster.

I'm gonna give the engine part of it a try today since I understand that the best. Maybe next weekend you can help with the dash wiring?

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

I'm gonna give the engine part of it a try today since I understand that the best. Maybe next weekend you can help with the dash wiring?

Any luck underhood?

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

jhcain posted:

Any luck underhood?

Some of the simple stuff yeah like the headlights and all. I've been back and forth going through the instruction manual that came with the harness.

It's not quite as clear as I like my instructions to be.

Senior Funkenstien fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 31, 2016

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Finishing the majority of the engine bay wiring. That part wasn't too bad.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
I'm getting there albeit slowly. Waiting for a new connector for the ECU to come tomorrow and hopefully that will all be done as far as the engine bay goes.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Waaiiitt, is the ecu stock or something aftermarket? I didn't think they had ecu's way back when.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Looks like a CDI module, which I think made its debut in '72.

Edit: and google tells me is correctly referred to as an ECU.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

IPCRESS posted:

Looks like a CDI module, which I think made its debut in '72.

Edit: and google tells me is correctly referred to as an ECU.

Yeah the term ECU tripped me up a bit when I first started looking into the ignition system. Got my new wiring in the mail today to hook it up to the rest of the system and I also ordered an electric choke to replace the fubard non electric one that's in it. Getting closer bit by bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A special thanks to Panaflex!

An awesome gift from a stand up guy!

I just want to nth that this manual art is goddamn amazing.

• Locked thread