Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kawasaki Nun posted:

What about people who homeschool their children? Should that practice be banned? Forcing people to interact seems like a losing proposition. There is a reason that they have chosen to isolate themselves

Homeschooling should absolutely be limited to cases of legitimate need. For instance:
1) Medical needs - short or long term illness or injury that requires being out of school
2) Mental needs - students who simply can't handle the school
3) Protection from bullying - students who are subject to unrelenting abuse should be allowed to be out of the school until those other kids can be handled.

I've known people who were stuck in homeschool situations against their will and in no way wanted to be there. And on top of that their parents were lovely as hell at teaching anything, and refused to use the free teaching materials/help that practically any public school authority in the country is more than willing to give out.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Yeah.

Forcing someone to have contact with you for their own good isn't okay, but I have no legal problem with private individuals such as missionaries hiking around public reserves and exercising their free speech with whomever will listen. It's pretty dumb but it's not the same as "okay we're going to take your children to special schools whether you like it not d/w/i" like they did in Australia. Anyone conducting business like logging or oil prospecting (assuming it's legal) is also justified in shooting the poo poo out of any attacking party that puts lives in danger.

I kinda do have a problem with them exercising "their free speech" if only that they probably don't know word one of the target people's language, so basically they're just hanging out near them and yelling stuff they can't understand. That's not really worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread