Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

One of the big arguments against forcing this kind of thing is that even when it is done with the best of intentions and there is quite legitimately no ulterior motive, it still tends to go pretty terribly for the contacted group.

In the most abstract sense I guess I agree with you, because I don't think it's right that the sheer chance of where you are born should control your life. By analogy, if we're being watched by a tremendous galaxy-spanning alien empire, I'd be pissed as HELL to have the opportunities of exploring, learning, engaging in culture, etc. denied to me without being asked. But here on earth the facts of nature mean that this is largely unavoidable, and there are far, far more severe examples of it hurting far, far more people. Syrian refugees didn't choose to be born in Syria, for example. Undocumented immigrants into the US didn't choose to be born in Mexico or Central America. Parentage making an immeasurable impact on your life is something that we should work against where feasible, but this particular issue - even if we were to accept that contact should be forced - has to be pretty far down the list of priorities even within the narrow remit of birthplace and immigration and so forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Main Paineframe posted:

What if you take all the native kids out of the small native school every native attends and spread them randomly among Western schools, some good, some bad? Would that provide more equality of opportunity?

Yes? Like, there are plenty of other arguments for and against it, but transparently yes, it would equality opportunity further? Not as much as all schools being of the same standards anyway, obviously, but absent that, random distribution is a good way to achieve that goal.

• Locked thread