Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

I thought something similar to the OP when first reading of the Sentinelese people. In much the same way that I would prefer some Class II civilization monitoring Earth would have the decency to offer Earth and/or its individuals a chance to join greater galactic civilization, it seems only fair to present each generation of isolated peoples with a fair assessment of the deprivations and benefits of joining global society.

I can think of a few problems with this, though:

1. Solving the disease problem
2. Finding out how to describe things a people have no frame of reference for
3. Delivering your message in a way that doesn't get the messenger shot with an arrow

EDIT: This is assuming that an industrialized way of living is objectively equal in quality of life.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

OwlFancier posted:

I mean strictly the vast majority of people in global society don't properly comprehend this either so if you figure out how to do it it may have other applications.

Yes, I probably understate the difficulty of that. But that sure would be interesting.

• Locked thread