Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

Yes? Like, there are plenty of other arguments for and against it, but transparently yes, it would equality opportunity further? Not as much as all schools being of the same standards anyway, obviously, but absent that, random distribution is a good way to achieve that goal.

It wouldn't really because unless you're planning on giving the kids the rest of the stuff they need to make use of the education it's probably just going to give them a bunch of stuff they can't use and make them really sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

William Bear posted:

it seems only fair to present each generation of isolated peoples with a fair assessment of the deprivations and benefits of joining global society.

I mean strictly the vast majority of people in global society don't properly comprehend this either so if you figure out how to do it it may have other applications.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was going to point out that I think people without a lot of money still have to worry about parasite flesh worms and starving.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Your Sledgehammer posted:

That's true, but it is meaningless. We are not discussing a world of seven billion hunter-gatherers, because it is an absurd hypothetical. Let me clarify my point:

A hunter-gatherer lifestyle, which some cultures on Earth still practice today, is sustainable. Part of the reason this is the case is that hunting and gathering can only support maybe a million or so people worldwide (during the many millennia that the lifestyle was dominant), which keeps the human population at a reasonable, non-destructive level. Modern industrial society, on the other hand is unsustainable. Full stop. It remains to be seen whether or not it can possibly be made sustainable (my strong suspicion is that it can't, given the way it has historically progressed). The reasons it is unsustainable are many, including resource depletion, habitat destruction, widespread extinction, climate change, and exponential population growth. The very population levels you are pointing to is part of the reason why it is unsustainable. Seven billion humans is only possible given the Agricultural and Industrial Revolutions.

Do you agree?

It's weird to suggest that hunter-gathering is inherently sustainable because if we all went out with M16s and weed whackers and hunted/gathered the poo poo out of everything around us, it would be pretty hosed pretty quick.

The point about pre-agrarian civilisation is not that it was hunter-gatherer, but that it was bad at hunting and gathering.

Any mode of living can be progressed to the point where our ability to extract from our environment outstrips the environment's ability to replenish itself. This is true of all creatures, actually, any form of life will happily eat itself into extinction if it's able to. Human intelligence means we will always have to consciously limit ourselves if we want to not out compete everything else on the planet into extinction.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean in the sense that they get to enjoy high mortality rates and food scarcity they're pretty sustainable in that the rest of the world is very adept at killing them.

I'm sure they feel much better to know that they should be happy about that.

• Locked thread