Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
A hundred generations tends to patch of land, then you come along and decide the hundredth-and-first needs to learn calculus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

Jesus an actual example of the noble savage myth in tyool 2015.

Like on one hand, they would no longer have to worry about starving or giant parasite worms in thier flesh, but you would be destroying thier whole world.

Lol someone who believes in the myth of progress in tyool 2015

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

blowfish posted:

lol someone who believes progress is an ideology and not a descriptor of more people having access to more technologies and institutions that make life more convenient

Those are certainly things that have happened in the last 200 years, yes.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
A bit late for Columbus Day, but I do like the story of Magellan meeting Lapu-Lapu:

quote:

At midnight, sixty of us set out armed with corselets and helmets, together with the Christian king, the prince, some of the chief men, and twenty or thirty balanguais. [a type of Filipino boat] We reached Mactan three hours before dawn. The captain did not wish to fight then, but sent a message to the natives to the effect that if they would obey the king of Spain, recognize the Christian king as their sovereign, and pay us our tribute, he would be their friend; but that if they wished otherwise, they should wait to see how our lances wounded. They replied that if we had lances they had lances of bamboo and stakes hardened with fire. They said that in order to induce us to go in search of them; for they had dug certain pit holes filled with spikes between the houses in order that we might fall into them.

It ended about as happily as it could have, because now Magellan's head is in a Filipino village somewhere.

It also puts this thread in perspective: the Conquistadors were offering eternal salvation. What'd the OP offer again?

• Locked thread