Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Typo posted:

That's like saying uncivilized peoples don't get diabetes because they don't have the means of diagnosing it.

Mental health is something deeply stigmatized in traditional societies and are often handwaved away with denial or attributed to the supernatural. Thus why few people until quite recently even in industrialized societies are willing to admit the phenomenon even exist.

Diabetes is probably a bad example since diseases like hypertension and DM2 are strongly linked to culture. Type 2 diabetes is pretty much unheard of in tribal cultures. Type 1 diabetes is a different story and almost certainly predates civilization.

And there does seem to be certain mental illness that increase when people industrialize (depression) or some that simply don't exist (Anorexia Nervosa). Of course we still have things like Schizophrenia which seems to affect everyone and a whole list of Culture Bound Syndromes that may only exist in these small cultures.

I do feel bad for these isolated groups that don't have access to modern medicine. However as pretty much everyone has said we are really poo poo at trying to civilize then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

silence_kit posted:

Probably a lot of mental illnesses are first world problems. People in indigenous tribes have more serious problems and don't have the luxury of developing something like anorexia when food may be scarce for them.

As I said before Anorexia Nervosa seems to be a Western Culture-Bound Syndrome. Non-western societies have their own Culture-Bound Syndromes that we don't see in the west.

• Locked thread