Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Drythe posted:

The keys are literally a dollar. I think I'm OK.

Just letting people know so they're not under the impression they're getting the full game free and clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
you also do not keep any items found during the beta

it's pretty neat how enemies are affected by the momentum in your swings. nailing a bunch of rats with a power swing sends them all stumbling in the direction of your blow, unless they're a stormvermin, because those guys are dicks

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This beta's only lasting until tomorrow anyways. I didn't get a key, but I'm too busy to play right now anyways. It's nice to hear that the game is fun though. I'm really looking forward to the open/Steam pre-order beta and the full release. Gonna bash the gently caress out of some rats. :getin:

I'm sure the developers have a DLC plan for the game going ahead and I think I heard somewhere they'd be adding more classes at some point. I'd love a warrior-priest, but I hope they add an actual Rat Catcher. Those dudes fight Skaven in sewers for a living so they'd be perfect for this. They also have batshit murder-terriers.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Safety Factor posted:

I'm sure the developers have a DLC plan for the game going ahead and I think I heard somewhere they'd be adding more classes at some point. I'd love a warrior-priest, but I hope they add an actual Rat Catcher. Those dudes fight Skaven in sewers for a living so they'd be perfect for this. They also have batshit murder-terriers.

Ork character DLC BEST character DLC!

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I can see this game going places, its been very fun thus far.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Can anyone talk about the loot they got for winning? Is it all just straight up plus-or-minus stats in there or can it change the way a character plays.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

Can anyone talk about the loot they got for winning? Is it all just straight up plus-or-minus stats in there or can it change the way a character plays.

if you level up you get class/character loot, and then there is dice rolls at the end of the map for extra loot. The extra loot is entirely random. So far it just seems to be straight up stat poo poo.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I really like how the Skaven aren't just zombies with a different coat of paint. Having Slave Rats run off when alone and duck in a shadow hoping you don't see them so they can shiv you in the back or seeing them get others to attack it you is pretty neat as well as the Skaven setting up ambushes. Also this beta build they've really made the Gutter Runner not want to be seen. If you fire at him in the distance he'll run off instead of just pouncing blindly like a Hunter in L4D and if you don't kill him after knocking him off someone he'll toss a smokebomb and vanish before making another strike

Pierson posted:

Different weapons change playstyles then the abilities you unlock in the forge on weapons give bonuses. Blocking might recover your stamina, killing enemies might give health etc. Here is a good list on the official fourms of all the traits people have found so far

dd209
Sep 21, 2015
Anyone else get a gigantic fps hit from a lot of the particle effects in the game? I turned down or disabled a whole bunch of settings but I still see drops from the 40s/50s to about 10fps when a poison globe hits.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

dd209 posted:

Anyone else get a gigantic fps hit from a lot of the particle effects in the game? I turned down or disabled a whole bunch of settings but I still see drops from the 40s/50s to about 10fps when a poison globe hits.

There is a bug where if the host switches their weapon really fast (uses mouse wheel to just spin) it will grind everyone else's FPS to a halt.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Skandranon posted:

Ork character DLC BEST character DLC!

If you want to talk about all the characters hating each other, imagine the dwarf and the Orc on the same team.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Game is pretty fun!
It has all of the stressful attributes of L4D and then some.

Someone on your team heading off in the wrong direction(me) when everyone else is going in the right one? Commence melt down.
Someone wasting an explosive on a small group when a huge horde is right around the corner?(me!!) Commence melt down.
Someone always getting themselves surrounded and needing to be revived every 5 minutes?(meee!!!!) Commence. melt. down.

Basically, I'm good at this game and all L4D-likes and people need to get on my level. :colbert:

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Gamesguy posted:

You can get a key from G2A for like a dollar, that's where I got mine.

Holy poo poo, I cannot believe I didn't think of this. Thanks for the reminder!

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Holy poo poo, I cannot believe I didn't think of this. Thanks for the reminder!

Nice! Installing now.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Pierson posted:

I've only gotten side grades. Give up speed for the ability to hit more targets. Give up damage for more attack speed. poo poo like that.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Hamburger Test posted:

I've only gotten side grades. Give up speed for the ability to hit more targets. Give up damage for more attack speed. poo poo like that.

Better quality (orange > blue > green > white) can have better stats than lower tiers, and has unlockable traits, like life regen on hit, better blocking, better pushing, etc.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

lmao

never fail to disappoint me reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vermintide/comments/3nni2m/this_beta_feels_more_like_an_alpha/

"how dare this beta test have issues"

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Skandranon posted:

Better quality (orange > blue > green > white) can have better stats than lower tiers, and has unlockable traits, like life regen on hit, better blocking, better pushing, etc.

Yea, that would be what I expected. My point was actually that, it does change how a character plays somewhat.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Pretty bummed this doesn't have VS mode, that was pretty much the best part of L4D.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Hamburger Test posted:

Yea, that would be what I expected. My point was actually that, it does change how a character plays somewhat.

The different traits can. Better blocking might make a 2h sword as good a blocker as a shield, so you could go from just a damage dealer to damage + tank. There are a lot of combos and will take awhile before their interaction becomes worked out, but I would say that yes, it does.

dd209
Sep 21, 2015

Skandranon posted:

There is a bug where if the host switches their weapon really fast (uses mouse wheel to just spin) it will grind everyone else's FPS to a halt.

Ah, wasn't aware of that. I'm certain it's the particle effects though, as I only really notice it when a gas capsule, overcharged fireball or bomb explodes.

Anyway, finished the third map in the beta (Screaming Bell) and was surprised at how short it was compared to HoM or EoD. Whilst you lose the sense of escaping by the skin of your teeth, I personally felt it was a more reasonable level of difficulty, as you still learn the dangers of not paying attention to where everyone is without the feeling of being completely buggered if the team messes up early in the other maps. Overall I definitely found the beta very punishing on the default (Normal) difficulty, partly because of enemies that are only really a big problem if you screw up royally in L4D (Smokers) suddenly becoming a much greater headache when all you can really do is run after them or hope for a clear shot if you're playing as Dwarf or another character with slow reloads and low ammo. Reminded me of early games of Payday, except there you're forced to break up your team and cover various angles depending on luck/skill, whereas in Vermintide I didn't see any viable macro-strategy beyond "stick close together all the time or you're screwed".

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
How much control do you have over melee swings? Are there controls to select swing direction, or is it basically just clicking through a set attack cycle?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

How much control do you have over melee swings? Are there controls to select swing direction, or is it basically just clicking through a set attack cycle?

I... THINK there might be a move in the direction you want to swing mechanic but I'm not positive.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Set sequence. Different weapons have different kinds of attack angles, and your main attack and charge attack have their own. You wouldn't really want more than that, it gets way too chaotic when the Skaven start swarming.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i dumped a bunch of thoughts about the game into the beta feedback form they provide in the launch menu. the fools!

i rather like what ive seen but theres not much of a feeling of OH GOSH I GOTTA HAVE THIS, and I wonder if its going to last more than a month or two. I hope it picks up a playerbase and the devs go the payday/l4d route of keeping up a series of dlc/updates. I also wonder how many things they can really get sorted out in two weeks; the AI gets stuck on stuff a lot and the packmaster/gutter both feel like I'm fighting a janky bundle of polygons with a quantum hitbox a lot of times. the levels also don't have a real sense of "arc" to them or feeling of attrition; even on higher difficulties, it feels like its more a game of "everything is great until it suddenly isnt and we all die".

i'd be leery if it cost $60 but for 30 bucks it seems like an above-adequate deal.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I haven't played as the wizard or the soldier yet, but the melee for the dwarf feels so satisfying. It might just be because of the hit animation where your axe "feels" like it gets stuck into the skaven bodies. The elf's melee on the other hand is the complete opposite. It just seems like you're spinning your blades around in the air and blood flies everywhere.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i dumped a bunch of thoughts about the game into the beta feedback form they provide in the launch menu. the fools!

i rather like what ive seen but theres not much of a feeling of OH GOSH I GOTTA HAVE THIS, and I wonder if its going to last more than a month or two. I hope it picks up a playerbase and the devs go the payday/l4d route of keeping up a series of dlc/updates. I also wonder how many things they can really get sorted out in two weeks; the AI gets stuck on stuff a lot and the packmaster/gutter both feel like I'm fighting a janky bundle of polygons with a quantum hitbox a lot of times. the levels also don't have a real sense of "arc" to them or feeling of attrition; even on higher difficulties, it feels like its more a game of "everything is great until it suddenly isnt and we all die".

i'd be leery if it cost $60 but for 30 bucks it seems like an above-adequate deal.

I think the same could have been said of Payday 2 when it first came out, there were only a few heists and 4 characters, no perk decks, etc. If they keep at it, I think it will be good.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Skandranon posted:

I think the same could have been said of Payday 2 when it first came out, there were only a few heists and 4 characters, no perk decks, etc. If they keep at it, I think it will be good.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. It kind of relies on trusting the devs a bit on this; I've liked what I've seen from them since I've been following their dev blog a bunch, but they've been acting fairly cagely about post-release stuff. Which is understandable since it the game just flops them they're not going to stick with it, but I'd like to hear more of a sense of "yeah we hope we can turn this poo poo into our golden goose for idiots to feed us money forever as we give them a trickle of fancy hats" because gently caress I'd be all over that.

Then again my friend's viewpoint is "cash-in game" which, really, I can't blame him, since its a warhammer game, and the dev's last noteworthy thing was Lead and Gold, which wound up rotting in a stinky ditch fairly quick after release.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Which is understandable since it the game just flops them they're not going to stick with it, but I'd like to hear more of a sense of "yeah we hope we can turn this poo poo into our golden goose for idiots to feed us money forever as we give them a trickle of fancy hats" because gently caress I'd be all over that.

Then again my friend's viewpoint is "cash-in game" which, really, I can't blame him, since its a warhammer game, and the dev's last noteworthy thing was Lead and Gold, which wound up rotting in a stinky ditch fairly quick after release.

I don't think they have a choice, they are self publishing, assuming all of the risk, and they doubled the studio size for it's development. I strongly suspect that If it flops, the studio closes. The other thing that gives me hope is they have said that the 30 dollar price tag was deliberately undervalued in hopes of luring the largest possible playerbase. That indicates their plan is paid dlc and plenty of it.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
This game is fun, I can see myself wasting a lot of time with this once it's released. I actually have a hard time not wasting too much time on the beta, especially since my core co-op group does not have access to it yet. Still find me starting it up more often than I should.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
I think the most fun was completely breaking it within the first two hours and getting blues/max rewards every time.

Is this really just coop and no vs mode? Also, the p2p hosting thing.. good grief. If the host crashes/disconnects, at least let us migrate to a new host rather than crashing all players or restarting the round.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I've yet to get a full game in tonight since patching the hotfix. Random crashes, connection to Steam errors, random returning to Inn. :(

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
2 goons on the mumble server trying to get a game going if anyone is interested

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The inn needs some training dummies or something you can test stuff on.

Also the Witch Hunter carrying 48 loaded pistols on his person and just loving tossing them everywhere instead of reloading anything is amazing.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 7, 2015

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Also the Witch Hunter carrying 48 loaded pistols on his person and just loving tossing them everywhere instead of reloading anything is amazing.

Jesus, that is hilarious! If I hadn't already bought the game, that would make getting it all the more tempting! Still, it certainly isn't making the wait any easier.. (since I think I'll just wait until the open beta, if the closed one ends today/tomorrow, according to a goon somewhere above)

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

Jesus, that is hilarious! If I hadn't already bought the game, that would make getting it all the more tempting! Still, it certainly isn't making the wait any easier.. (since I think I'll just wait until the open beta, if the closed one ends today/tomorrow, according to a goon somewhere above)

Yes, this beta currently in progress ends tomorrow at 6PM EST. I believe there is another beta event scheduled next week, before the public beta for pre-orders. The beta key for this weekend SHOULD work for all of them, though I can't promise that. I am basing this statement on the fact that my beta key for this beta also allowed me to access a previous beta on Friday, when I got my key. All the key does is unlock the Public Test version of the game on Steam, so I think everyone that has the Public Test version can run it, and take part in any beta when the servers are up.

Also, he can carry up to 64 pistols if he is using his rapier/offhand pistol combo melee weapon. He's basically a skeleton under that coat and the rest of the bulk is taken up with pistols.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Played all 3 levels of the beta and i have to say, i like it alot. the Skaven are great, the one liners are great. the combat is fun, and the witch hunter is a boss.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
It occurs to me that I haven't really seen any representation from clan Pestilens in this. There's four major skaven clans - Eshin (assassins, gutter runners), Moulder (packmasters, rat ogres), Skrye (:science:, guns), but I haven't seen anything from Pestilens, who usually handle A) Biological/chemical warfare, and B) plague monks, who are basically anthropomorphic chainsaws. Are they in this and I just missed them?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

President Ark posted:

It occurs to me that I haven't really seen any representation from clan Pestilens in this. There's four major skaven clans - Eshin (assassins, gutter runners), Moulder (packmasters, rat ogres), Skrye (:science:, guns), but I haven't seen anything from Pestilens, who usually handle A) Biological/chemical warfare, and B) plague monks, who are basically anthropomorphic chainsaws. Are they in this and I just missed them?

I think I saw in one of the Tips it mention the name of the specific clan that is attacking Ubersriek. Don't remember the name, but it wasn't the big 4. They may have created a "Skaven Undivided" type clan to allow for having both rat ogres, globe throwers, and gutter runners all at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Skandranon posted:

I think I saw in one of the Tips it mention the name of the specific clan that is attacking Ubersriek. Don't remember the name, but it wasn't the big 4. They may have created a "Skaven Undivided" type clan to allow for having both rat ogres, globe throwers, and gutter runners all at once.

Typically other clans will rent out their services, plus part of the end times is that the skaven leaders finally got their poo poo together and managed to get them working cohesively together instead of their usual relentless squabbling and infighting.

• Locked thread