Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Halfling Master Chef, cowering behind allies and flinging cuts of meat to try and lure hungry Skaven out of hiding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

First DLC will be mandated by Games Workshop and it will be a Sigmarine who will remind every how glorious the age of sigmar is

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Dr. VooDoo posted:

First DLC will be mandated by Games Workshop and it will be a Sigmarine who will remind every how glorious the age of sigmar is

In the far future, there is only bankruptcy (please).

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
"Please make games to draw attention to our amazing setting we just blew the gently caress up and replaced with Medieval Space Marines" - Games Workshop, to videogame developers, 2015

Darkn1o
Jun 12, 2003
Does anyone know what the Cataclysm difficulty is like? Is it the same difficulty gap as between hard and nightmare?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

A Warhammer game where you fight Skaven and you don't play as a Ratcatcher with your little but vicious dog?

I'm hoping that's going to at least be a DLC.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Dog companion is probably a pain to design if it isn't a throwing weapon.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

chaos rhames posted:

Dog companion is probably a pain to design if it isn't a throwing weapon.

So... The antlion pherormones from Half-Life 2?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I really thought this game was a pile. Sound, music, writing, and narrative are complete garbage. That is my opinion but I would suggest to those wanting to get it on day one be wary, it is a buggy mess in beta and it is going to take more than until the end of the month to fix those problems.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Darkn1o posted:

Does anyone know what the Cataclysm difficulty is like? Is it the same difficulty gap as between hard and nightmare?

I tired cataclysm on map one with friends.

Two died at the guard house. The other two never reached the pigs.

That's as far as I got.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Darkn1o posted:

I think someone mentioned that Cataclysm has friendly fire, so no more dropping fireballs on your friends or shooting arrows in their backs.

dtkozl posted:

I really thought this game was a pile. Sound, music, writing, and narrative are complete garbage. That is my opinion but I would suggest to those wanting to get it on day one be wary, it is a buggy mess in beta and it is going to take more than until the end of the month to fix those problems.

A beta had bugs? Why I never!

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

dtkozl posted:

Drythe posted:

lmao

never fail to disappoint me reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vermintide/comments/3nni2m/this_beta_feels_more_like_an_alpha/

"how dare this beta test have issues"

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Can't wait to hear people complain about there still being bugs in the pre-release beta.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
After playing the beta i gotta say the BW is far weaker than i thought she would be. On normal and easy she is fine and even fairly powerfull with the Aqshy Staff but on hard and above you just rack up heat too fast to be usefull. Every other character has a stronger ranged option compared to her and for the most part ammo is not a big deal since guns and bows do a lot of damage even on nightmare.

Other than that the game feels awesome, stabbing a rat in the throat as the Witch Hunter and seeing it gasp for air through blood is satisfying in that serial killer-y way.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

A Warhammer game where you fight Skaven and you don't play as a Ratcatcher with your little but vicious dog?

I'm hoping that's going to at least be a DLC.
Yeah, I already mentioned that that's the class I'd love to see the most. Wanna see a terrier take down a stormvermin. :smugdog:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

BombiTheZombie posted:

After playing the beta i gotta say the BW is far weaker than i thought she would be. On normal and easy she is fine and even fairly powerfull with the Aqshy Staff but on hard and above you just rack up heat too fast to be usefull. Every other character has a stronger ranged option compared to her and for the most part ammo is not a big deal since guns and bows do a lot of damage even on nightmare.

Other than that the game feels awesome, stabbing a rat in the throat as the Witch Hunter and seeing it gasp for air through blood is satisfying in that serial killer-y way.

I noticed on wednesday that they had tuned down the witches cooldown to pretty crazy levels (like you could keep a pretty consistent rhythm of fireballs going without issue), but yeah a few of the staves felt lackluster.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Game was fun in beta, just gonna wait to see if there's enough content on release to justify purchase. Mainly concerned about diversity in the levels and things like that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I wonder if the next beta will have more/different levels.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Have they said if the pre-order beta is just going to be the full game? I hope so, since there won't be a wipe after it.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Pre-order beta progress doesn't save to the release.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Drythe posted:

It most likely will, though. Current Beta won't, pre-order 'beta' will:

quote:

We've said this in previous threads, but I'll say it again for clarity :)

We want to keep all progress from the pre-order beta, but we can't promise that a wipe won't happen. It's still a beta, and if we encounter any issues that forces us to wipe the progress, we have to do it.

From: http://steamcommunity.com/app/235540/discussions/1/483366528923412735/#c483366528923517985

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Drythe posted:

Yes, it does. There's no wipe unless they discover a huge gamebreaking bug/exploit.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Do the Collector's Edition hats do anything or are they just cosmetic?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Skandranon posted:

A beta had bugs? Why I never!

Yeah great job sussing out my real issue was the beta had bugs and not that there were so many they wont be able to fix them all by the time they release in a few weeks. You have a great career ahead of you as a company yes man.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

dtkozl posted:

I liked all of the thing you hate. I dunno. You sure you didn't expect it to be something other than L4D set in Warhammer universe?

As for bugs in the beta, I actually made it through the last night of the press beta with no issues. They fixed everything that made my game crash or bug out by the end of it. I was pretty impressed by how fast they were swatting my bugs.

Pre-purchased. This game was worth the 25 (?) bucks I spent.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

dtkozl posted:

Yeah great job sussing out my real issue was the beta had bugs and not that there were so many they wont be able to fix them all by the time they release in a few weeks. You have a great career ahead of you as a company yes man.

Or maybe people had different experiences than you and maybe it's more to do with your setup? I mean, since all you're offering up is "THERE WERE BUGS!" no one really knows what the gently caress you're talking about. I encountered bugs, but nothing that made the game unplayable.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

McGavin posted:

Do the Collector's Edition hats do anything or are they just cosmetic?

I answered my own question. All items in the CE are purely cosmetic.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Or maybe people had different experiences than you and maybe it's more to do with your setup? I mean, since all you're offering up is "THERE WERE BUGS!" no one really knows what the gently caress you're talking about. I encountered bugs, but nothing that made the game unplayable.

I understand that but I had a lot of games where the host would crash and the level would reset, so it wasn't just me crashing. There were also port and connection issues when a friend and I tried to host a game which is just stupid in this day and age. My point was for those that DID like it just to be wary about the whole pre order business because I know most people would rather have a game that works on release. I was fairly clear about that.

I think the biggest actual design flaw with the game is they are just going to have the payday 2 problem where everyone just plays one mission over and over to get new loot. It would have been better to actually copy left4dead where the missions were a little shorter but you have to play a chain of them, with of course an item drop at the end of each little mission and maybe the big roll at the end of the chain. I personally just get bored quickly when my 2 options are play the same poo poo again or wait forever to try and get a game on something else.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

dtkozl posted:

I don't know how it was for you, but of the crashes I experienced, they managed to fix those within the first day the beta was running. So I am impressed with their speed on that, and the beta served it's purpose! I don't think you really understand what a public beta is for. It's not a demo, it's not about YOU at all. It is so they can collect data at a large scale that they were not able to in their labs. They will then work through that data and fix bugs. If they are able to push out changes as fast as they were during the beta, I am fully confident they will fix the majority of issues.

I'm sorry your stint as an unpaid QA worker wasn't as fun as you hoped it would be.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
They even released several hot fixes in the 3 days the closed beta was open. I'm pretty confident that they will squash many of the big bugs before release. Many families will be neglected during this crunch time.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I noticed on wednesday that they had tuned down the witches cooldown to pretty crazy levels (like you could keep a pretty consistent rhythm of fireballs going without issue), but yeah a few of the staves felt lackluster.

The beam staff in particular felt really weak to me (though fun to use). To kill one special skaven, even in normal, I would have to point it at their head and hold it there for several seconds, long enough that it would put me about 70% of the way to exploding. Given this staff seems pretty much designed to kill specials, this seems pretty pathetic especially compared to the crossbows or handguns which can drop anything other than a Rogre in a single headshot. Though the flip side is the beam-staff also had the shotgun like blast as it''s primary attack. It seems hard to balance the bright wizards ranged since each staff is effectively two different abilities.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

I dont know posted:

The beam staff in particular felt really weak to me (though fun to use). To kill one special skaven, even in normal, I would have to point it at their head and hold it there for several seconds, long enough that it would put me about 70% of the way to exploding. Given this staff seems pretty much designed to kill specials, this seems pretty pathetic especially compared to the crossbows or handguns which can drop anything other than a Rogre in a single headshot. Though the flip side is the beam-staff also had the shotgun like blast as it''s primary attack. It seems hard to balance the bright wizards ranged since each staff is effectively two different abilities.

I don't think the beam is to be used on it's own, I think it's like a charging beam. You can fire your primary while lasing someone, and it will hit them from much further off, and I THINK it does more damage the longer they are 'charged' with the beam, but I only took it out for one mission.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I figured it was more meant as a DoT applier rather than something you kill with. Like you just put on a laser light show and light everything on fire rather than pretend you got a microscope.

If you want to play "gently caress that rat in particular", you play someone else and take a handgun/crossbow. Or the elf with the homing arrow, but tbh that one gets a little old when you get swarmed with skavenslaves and youre trying to get it to lock on to the rear end in a top hat off in the distance shooting everyone to shreds.

Darkn1o
Jun 12, 2003

Skandranon posted:

I think someone mentioned that Cataclysm has friendly fire, so no more dropping fireballs on your friends or shooting arrows in their backs.

That's pretty disappointing. Nightmare already has friendly fire and no respawns. Though it's usually not an issue since ranged is really only useful to pick off skaven or kill specials and they usually swarm you in hard or above difficulty. I had a blast, but I think the game could use something special on the hardest difficulties to actually make it challenging. I mean, hard is still so easy that you can run it consistently with 2 bots and 100% loot drops.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Darkn1o posted:

That's pretty disappointing. Nightmare already has friendly fire and no respawns. Though it's usually not an issue since ranged is really only useful to pick off skaven or kill specials and they usually swarm you in hard or above difficulty. I had a blast, but I think the game could use something special on the hardest difficulties to actually make it challenging. I mean, hard is still so easy that you can run it consistently with 2 bots and 100% loot drops.

Oh, maybe FF is Nightmare, no idea what Cataclysm is. Probably spawns Gutter Runners in place of clan rats...

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
cataclysm is this

e: AKA "dont get hit" mode

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
When is the open beta again?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Excelsiortothemax posted:

When is the open beta again?

The preorder beta will be at least one week before release, so the 16th at the latest. There may be another short beta for people who already have codes before that.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
By the way, the devs have stated in the steam forum that they definitely are doing post release content. Nothing actually stated yet, but they were asking for feedback and claimed they'd talk about it more "in the coming weeks".

They haven't given anything for sure on having dedicated servers. They won't say anything until they're for sure one way or another.

E: next closed beta is the 14th at 12gmt and lasts 24 hours. Progression from prior betas will be wiped.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Skandranon posted:

I don't know how it was for you, but of the crashes I experienced, they managed to fix those within the first day the beta was running. So I am impressed with their speed on that, and the beta served it's purpose! I don't think you really understand what a public beta is for. It's not a demo, it's not about YOU at all. It is so they can collect data at a large scale that they were not able to in their labs. They will then work through that data and fix bugs. If they are able to push out changes as fast as they were during the beta, I am fully confident they will fix the majority of issues.

I'm sorry your stint as an unpaid QA worker wasn't as fun as you hoped it would be.

I was pretty impressed they got a hotfix out after day 1 of the closed beta, but I ended up getting just as many crashes/fatal errors after the hotfix anyways. I kind of agree with dtkozl, I'm a little skeptical they can get everything cleaned up in a few weeks.

I still plan on picking this up, but it won't be day 1 anymore and I'll wait a bit to see how it fares.

• Locked thread