Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

I dont know posted:

The preorder beta will be at least one week before release, so the 16th at the latest. There may be another short beta for people who already have codes before that.

According to the Vermintide twitter account, there will be one more closed beta before the prerelease.

https://twitter.com/VermintideGame/status/652344666948567040

dtkozl posted:

I think the biggest actual design flaw with the game is they are just going to have the payday 2 problem where everyone just plays one mission over and over to get new loot. It would have been better to actually copy left4dead where the missions were a little shorter but you have to play a chain of them, with of course an item drop at the end of each little mission and maybe the big roll at the end of the chain. I personally just get bored quickly when my 2 options are play the same poo poo again or wait forever to try and get a game on something else.

That may be the case, but as of right now, we have no way of knowing if that is what's going to happen. I am sure that some maps will be played more than others, because that's just how things like that work out, but I think it may be a little premature to say that people are just going to hammer one level over and over again for loot.

Some of us actually enjoyed the game and aren't really interested in min/maxing. Whether or not you believe this represents a minority or majority opinion is your call. What it's going to come down to is if they have enough of a player base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Kamikaze Raider posted:

That may be the case, but as of right now, we have no way of knowing if that is what's going to happen. I am sure that some maps will be played more than others, because that's just how things like that work out, but I think it may be a little premature to say that people are just going to hammer one level over and over again for loot.

Some of us actually enjoyed the game and aren't really interested in min/maxing. Whether or not you believe this represents a minority or majority opinion is your call. What it's going to come down to is if they have enough of a player base.

I think we saw a lot of one map running in the closed beta because there were only 3 maps. One of them had no tomes/grimoires, and one of them was so open it tricked most people into spreading out and getting killed. So most people settled on the Horn of Magnus because it had better loot options without pubbies getting themselves killed in dumb ways. Once the game opens up and has a better selection, I think we'll see less of that.

One thing that I wanted in Payday 2 and would like here, is if you got rewards for doing missions in an unbroken streak, so if you do Ramparts->Horn->War Machines->etc without failing, you get an extra dice (up to a maximum) for each one. Gives a better sense of continuity and an incentive to get a group and stick together, instead of constantly dropping and joining.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Skandranon posted:

One thing that I wanted in Payday 2 and would like here, is if you got rewards for doing missions in an unbroken streak, so if you do Ramparts->Horn->War Machines->etc without failing, you get an extra dice (up to a maximum) for each one. Gives a better sense of continuity and an incentive to get a group and stick together, instead of constantly dropping and joining.

I think that's a great idea and it shouldn't be that hard to implement. Have you thought about skyping that idea to fatshark's inbox?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Kamikaze Raider posted:

According to the Vermintide twitter account, there will be one more closed beta before the prerelease.

https://twitter.com/VermintideGame/status/652344666948567040

Just checked the forums, the last closed beta will be on the 14th and 15th then the open beta will open on the 16th.

As far as people only playing 1-4 different maps, I expect that will happen. Honestly I can't think of a game where the community didn't settle on a small handful of maps to play ad naseum. But since this is a coop game, the best solution is to get a friend group together and then play whatever maps you wish.

also

quote:

All current progress will be wiped before the 14th.

All progress after the 15th will be wiped before the Pre-order beta on the 16th

Our goal is to avoid wiping progress again after the Pre-order beta launches, we will only wipe progress from the Pre-order beta should a severe issue arise that forces us to do so.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I Would buy an character addon where you could play as a Skaven fighting the other Skaven. Whats more Skaven then backstabbing your brethren.

Also orcs. I want to go Grimgor on the rat things.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Just give us the Space Marine DLC already. :colbert:

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
As keen as I'd be to see a bunch of new additional characters, I am also wary given that the starting cast has a ton of contextual voiced dialogue between one another / per the stages. Introducing more characters could be quarrelsome if there are issues / heavy costs to record additional / exponentially more dialogue (since you'd ideally want all of the characters to converse with one another as the cast grows.) That said, I'm hoping they can knock it out of the park and keep on rolling with new content.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Badly Jester posted:

I think that's a great idea and it shouldn't be that hard to implement. Have you thought about skyping that idea to fatshark's inbox?

I posted it in the feedback forum. Is there another way to post feedback to them?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Skandranon posted:

I posted it in the feedback forum. Is there another way to post feedback to them?

Their twitter (@VermintideGame) seems to be pretty active, so you might get a more immediate response there, but I'm sure the feedback forum will do (if they give a poo poo, at least - and if they don't we're all doomed).

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Pretty sure it's just the staff putting on their best worst accents and recoding dialogue shouldn't be too pricey. Even though everyone likes to poo poo on Evolve for it, the DLC characters are fully voiced and integrated. For $5 a character that you see in game if you purchased it or not? Seems like a good deal to me.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Pretty sure it's just the staff putting on their best worst accents and recoding dialogue shouldn't be too pricey. Even though everyone likes to poo poo on Evolve for it, the DLC characters are fully voiced and integrated. For $5 a character that you see in game if you purchased it or not? Seems like a good deal to me.

They actually just a few days ago posted a bunch of videos about their voice recording process and they're all actual professional actors / voice actors.

The Witch Hunter for instance is Tim Bentinck.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Welp. I stand corrected. Good to know that quality VA are getting respected and jobs.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

dtkozl posted:

I understand that but I had a lot of games where the host would crash and the level would reset, so it wasn't just me crashing. There were also port and connection issues when a friend and I tried to host a game which is just stupid in this day and age. My point was for those that DID like it just to be wary about the whole pre order business because I know most people would rather have a game that works on release. I was fairly clear about that.

I think the biggest actual design flaw with the game is they are just going to have the payday 2 problem where everyone just plays one mission over and over to get new loot. It would have been better to actually copy left4dead where the missions were a little shorter but you have to play a chain of them, with of course an item drop at the end of each little mission and maybe the big roll at the end of the chain. I personally just get bored quickly when my 2 options are play the same poo poo again or wait forever to try and get a game on something else.

I think one of the biggest problems with payday 2 was specifically because there was far too much grindy bullshit between having to farm cash, experience, and the weapon parts. The players singling out one or two missions to farm was them becoming a victim of the skinner box design. The fact that your potential weapon parts cards in payday shared a loot pool with mask parts and cash (at least initially, I'm not sure how it is now). The fact that you could just as really get a bunch of parts for one of the 30 weapons you didn't have due to experience or money constraints, or it just flat out suckling really exacerbated that.

So far, just based on how it's being reported, it doesn't seem like the weapon grind is nearly as soul sucking, but I guess we have to have the whole game out before I can say definitively.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 9, 2015

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

I think one of the biggest problems with payday 2 was specifically because there was far too much grindy bullshit between having to farm cash, experience, and the weapon parts. The players singling out one or two missions to farm was them becoming a victim of the skinner box design. The fact that your potential weapon parts cards in payday shared a loot pool with mask parts and cash (at least initially, I'm not sure how it is now). The fact that you could just as really get a bunch of parts for one of the 30 weapons you didn't have due to experience or money constraints, or it just flat out suckling really exacerbated that.

So far, just based on how it's being reported, it doesn't seem like the weapon grind is nearly as soul sucking, but I guess we have to have the whole game out before I can say definitively.

I kinda like that you don't just get gear for the one you are playing, it discourages you having a 'favourite' and then throwing a fit when someone else is playing them.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Pulled the trigger on the pre-order so I'm ready to bathe in skaven blood. :black101:

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Tokubetsu posted:

Pulled the trigger on the pre-order so I'm ready to bathe in skaven blood. :black101:

They shall write songs of your glorious deeds. Such as "three blinded skaven" "pop goes the skaven" and "ratatouille(but with skaven)"

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Do you get anything for pre-ordering?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Wooper posted:

10% off, so not really worth it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
you get a video game

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Wooper posted:

10% off, and access to the week early beta starting on the 16th. Character progression will PROBABLY carry through to the rest of the game, baring any significant exploits that require a wipe.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Do we know if the upgrade system gets more in depth? or is it just
Break down item for material
Unlock special items trait using said material.
Or maybe it's something that isn't 100% ready and they plan to release it later.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
The kind of people who are going to grind a map in a beta that is going to wipe all progress are the kind of people that are going to grind the 'optimal' way no matter what. I'm not really sure you can really solve that in any game that has loot drops.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
And grinding just doesn't make sense anyway. Its not like payday 2 where you were getting money and skills to unlock and you know what you'd be getting for sure. If you grind in this game it's for a random weapon for a random class at a random level. You'd basically be grinding to get weapons to grind with and with no idea if this grind session would be worth it over actually playing the game on a different level

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

To be fair payday has the random cards for weapon mods but that problem has mostly been solved through the daily challenges, and also goonmod.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Gestalt Intellect posted:

To be fair payday has the random cards for weapon mods but that problem has mostly been solved through the daily challenges, and also goonmod.

It was loving brutal in those early days. Dropping a hundred hours into the game but only havent parts for 2 guns you use.

No idea what items are gonna be like in this though. My only experience was with a BW staff and it sucked compared to the starting one.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I never had any money or mask parts since I'd keep thinking they looked poo poo ingame and remaking them

The loot system seems fairly merciful in it's current inception. Even if your luck is poo poo, you can always fuse junk to get higher quality items eventually.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tokubetsu posted:

It was loving brutal in those early days. Dropping a hundred hours into the game but only havent parts for 2 guns you use.

No idea what items are gonna be like in this though. My only experience was with a BW staff and it sucked compared to the starting one.

The worst thing was the ten million electric centers that kept dropping to the point where I think they joked about it in the dialogue.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
The other thing is that the gear does not significantly improve on the white stuff. Tailored blues/oranges might be needed for cataclysm, but all white gear will easily get you through missions on hard with a decent team. Good gear also won't save you from bad teamwork or not knowing how to play.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Isn't the only difference between white tier and the other ones is a single random stat like more ammo or life on kill. Or do blues and greens do more damage by default than their white counterparts.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Greens gain a trait over whites, but no stats. Blues gain 2 traits and some stats over green/white. I suspect oranges get at least 3 traits, maybe stats, but I've not gotten an orange weapon yet.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Trinkets are going to make the biggest difference when it comes to loot, I believe. In the beta I got a fish that gave me a 40% chance to not consume healing items upon use. Getting 3 uses out of a single medkit is kind of a huge deal.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Dezztroy posted:

Trinkets are going to make the biggest difference when it comes to loot, I believe. In the beta I got a fish that gave me a 40% chance to not consume healing items upon use. Getting 3 uses out of a single medkit is kind of a huge deal.

This is true, especially if they are combined in the right way. I got a trinket that would heal everyone around me for 20% when I used a medkit. Someone else had a trinket which had a chance to dupe items upon pickup.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Beta is currently up, I'm guessing they're testing the new patch they just put up.

Some changes include:
You can now select your upload speed when hosting.
Setting to enable dodging when moving forward diagonally.
VoIP! Push to talk is default, thankfully.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
The public beta just updated for me, it still says beta is offline, however.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Wooo, a 9.4gb update. I wonder if it'll even work...

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Well, game starts up, but didn't get any players joining, so it's either not really running, or no one else is running it. Going to try soloing Horn of Magnus, which is the only available map at the moment.

Darkn1o
Jun 12, 2003

Skandranon posted:

Greens gain a trait over whites, but no stats. Blues gain 2 traits and some stats over green/white. I suspect oranges get at least 3 traits, maybe stats, but I've not gotten an orange weapon yet.

Oranges gain slightly more stats than a blue. They do give 3 random traits as well. I wouldn't say the weapons make that big a difference. As I was still running nightmare pretty easily at 100% loot drops with a white and blue and still getting top kills by a significant amount.

Dezztroy posted:

Yeah trinkets are amazing. I was wearing a blue trinket that gave 4% movespeed. Another party member had two trinkets that healed the party members around him for 20% of his healed health. He said that they stack. So if you had the orange version of the movespeed trinket and triple stacked them you could potentially have 15-18% increased movespeed.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Skandranon posted:

Well, game starts up, but didn't get any players joining, so it's either not really running, or no one else is running it. Going to try soloing Horn of Magnus, which is the only available map at the moment.

It's working fine, I've played a couple full games.

You start with a healing potion on normal now, which makes things way easier.

They also changed traits a little. Berserking for example now says it has a 5-12% c

Another thing: They must have realized that people were just farming Man the Ramparts because it was easy even on harder difficulties. It's now possible for there to be a squad of Stormvermin guarding the entrance to the tower and there are also two guarding each anchor.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 11, 2015

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I'm assuming this test is gonna run until the pre-order access starts friday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Tokubetsu posted:

I'm assuming this test is gonna run until the pre-order access starts friday?

I don't know if this is an official test or not, it still says the beta is down, and I've yet to find anyone else to play with.

They've also added 2 white melee weapons to starting characters (2 ranged for bright wizard).

• Locked thread