Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I just joined a game with Dezztroy through steam friends list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Rabhadh posted:

I just joined a game with Dezztroy through steam friends list

Sorry about not healing you, didn't know you were on your third strike :v:

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Don't worry about it, I'd never tried the wizard before and I wasn't planning on playing a full game, just seeing if it was possible to get a game.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I guess pre-ordering doesn't get you into the beta?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
set my matchmaking settings to world and found a game

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

Stanley Pain posted:

So I guess pre-ordering doesn't get you into the beta?

It gets you at least one week of beta, but as of now it's keys only.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GuyUpNorth posted:

It gets you at least one week of beta, but as of now it's keys only.

Eh... that kinda sucks...

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Stanley Pain posted:

Eh... that kinda sucks...

There is no pleasing some people... You can buy a beta key from G4A (or wherever was mentioned earlier in the thread) for a dollar if you MUST play the 1 level available right now.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Skandranon posted:

There is no pleasing some people... You can buy a beta key from G4A (or wherever was mentioned earlier in the thread) for a dollar if you MUST play the 1 level available right now.

Not giving access to your beta(s) when you pre-order a game is kinda stupid in TYOL 2015 ;)

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
When launching now I get a "Titled is Disabled" error that I can't get past; I guess the beta being online was a mistake.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I was just playing it. Its not officially online in any case so I would not be surprised if it was irregular in being on or not for people.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Stanley Pain posted:

Not giving access to your beta(s) when you pre-order a game is kinda stupid in TYOL 2015 ;)

You DO get access to the week early beta when you pre-order the game!

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Some people will complain if you hang them with a new rope.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

lmao

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
I should get access to any and all private or public testing for Fallout 4 when I preorder it, or I don't want the game. FFS, it's 2015!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm glad there's nothing preorder exclusive that affects gameplay since I don't have much time for games right now so I'll be waiting on this game for a bit. The videos I saw looked really strong though, I haven't played anything that scratched quite the same itch as left 4 dead in awhile and didn't expect left 4 rats to come out of nowhere and be the next one.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I'm glad there's nothing preorder exclusive that affects gameplay since I don't have much time for games right now so I'll be waiting on this game for a bit. The videos I saw looked really strong though, I haven't played anything that scratched quite the same itch as left 4 dead in awhile and didn't expect left 4 rats to come out of nowhere and be the next one.

Hate to bring this up, but you DO get 2 exclusive trinkets & headgear in the collectors edition. Not sure how long that's available for. No info on what the stats for the trinkets/headgear are.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I thought I read those were just cosmetic

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I thought I read those were just cosmetic

The headsets probably are just vanity, the trinkets I expect have some effect, but no idea what.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Skandranon posted:

The headsets probably are just vanity, the trinkets I expect have some effect, but no idea what.

No, the collectors edition trinkets and the hats are entirely cosmetic. They said they didn't want to put in anything that could be considered pay to win.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Yo, is Deathmaster Snikch in this game? He's my favorite Skaven ratman.

Darke GBF fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 12, 2015

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I doubt it, since it's during the end times and most of the characters are tied up dying offscreen in some throwaway line in a trash novel.

On the flipside, there are some special skaven that are not featured in the beta. I'm betting on there being a grey seer at some point since there's a preview image of one. Beyond that, :iiam:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Anyways for those that missed the super secret unintentional closed beta, here is all the gameplay stuff I noticed

Characters start with an additional weapon.

Only three types of ores for the forge, instead of four.

Normal difficulty gives a health potion everyone at the start.

Ranged is weaker; it might have just been a raising of clanrat HP, but a rat taking two fireballs/shots instead of one is pretty noticeable. Headshots are still lethal.

Bright mage can shoot more stuff off before overheating.

Gutter runners got a new model and overall felt less bullshit. They're not as quick on their vanishing act and didn't seem able to chain pounces as well.

Rat ogre spawns appeared in new places. Got one at the barracks, and one at the bar. Never two in one map, though.

Stormvermin patrols move faster, almost player speed.

Crescendo after blowing the horn is more constant: more like a constant steam than waves.

Stormvermin guard the anchors to the screaming bell now, and a full patrol sits around idle in front of the tower entrance. Makes the map feel very combat heavy.

Special spawns seem a little looser as well. Got two loving rattling gunners, side by side, after blowing up the gate, which may have been scripted it was so cruel. It was at least cool seeing them gib a swarm of skavenslaves that ran out of it. I got to watch it from the ground. Jerks.

(I hope they don't erase my stuff again since I picked up a green shield that had +2 stamina on it which was really nice to have and I wanna keep it.)

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Anyways for those that missed the super secret unintentional closed beta, here is all the gameplay stuff I noticed

Characters start with an additional weapon.

Only three types of ores for the forge, instead of four.

Normal difficulty gives a health potion everyone at the start.

Ranged is weaker; it might have just been a raising of clanrat HP, but a rat taking two fireballs/shots instead of one is pretty noticeable. Headshots are still lethal.

Bright mage can shoot more stuff off before overheating.

Gutter runners got a new model and overall felt less bullshit. They're not as quick on their vanishing act and didn't seem able to chain pounces as well.

Rat ogre spawns appeared in new places. Got one at the barracks, and one at the bar. Never two in one map, though.

Stormvermin patrols move faster, almost player speed.

Crescendo after blowing the horn is more constant: more like a constant steam than waves.

Stormvermin guard the anchors to the screaming bell now, and a full patrol sits around idle in front of the tower entrance. Makes the map feel very combat heavy.

Special spawns seem a little looser as well. Got two loving rattling gunners, side by side, after blowing up the gate, which may have been scripted it was so cruel. It was at least cool seeing them gib a swarm of skavenslaves that ran out of it. I got to watch it from the ground. Jerks.

(I hope they don't erase my stuff again since I picked up a green shield that had +2 stamina on it which was really nice to have and I wanna keep it.)

Will agree with a lot of this. The change to the horn assault definitely hurt. All the times I've done that withstand onslaught in previous beta without any problems but this one piled the bodies on for sure.

Will say idk about weaker range though, My BW still felt like I was kill mostly trash mobs with one fireball. Didn't feel weaker but I definitely felt like overheat threshold was much higher.

That said the bit I played of waywatcher my charged bow shots did feel weaker. One ratling gunner in particular felt like he was taking twice as many charged bows to the head than before.

Only encountered one rat ogre and he spawned in that little nook on magnus tower as you cross the rooftops, right before you're inside again. He spawned in the inside as you would drop down. Scary loving sight truss.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I feel like they should make the Rat Ogre drop a loot die or something, because right now the Rat Ogre is just a random "gently caress you". I do like random gently caress yous in games, but getting some reward for making it through the mission after killing what is the game's boss enemy would be nice.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Skandranon posted:

I should get access to any and all private or public testing for Fallout 4 when I preorder it, or I don't want the game. FFS, it's 2015!

Absolutely.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Dezztroy posted:

I feel like they should make the Rat Ogre drop a loot die or something, because right now the Rat Ogre is just a random "gently caress you". I do like random gently caress yous in games, but getting some reward for making it through the mission after killing what is the game's boss enemy would be nice.

counterpoint: this may dilute the role of the sackrat being the most rewarding and highest priority foe to kill and I will not have that

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Are the missions actually procedural? I remember hearing about that and thinking "hahaha no loving way".

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

dogstile posted:

Are the missions actually procedural? I remember hearing about that and thinking "hahaha no loving way".

Not that I've seen. The layouts are static. The spawns of rats, rat swarms, special Skaven, and Potions/Healing items are all random to a certain extent in the maps, though. It's as procedural as L4D 1 and 2 were.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Yah they did state that it's the spawns that are procedural. That's why the rat ogre can appear in the middle of the loving tower rather than in the wide open courtyard.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Tiler Kiwi posted:

counterpoint: this may dilute the role of the sackrat being the most rewarding and highest priority foe to kill and I will not have that

I agree. Rat Ogres are only tough when you're on a roof or your teammates are dummies.

Stay Calm & Don't Position Yourself In A Way To Get Thrown Off Roofs =(

Tokubetsu fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 13, 2015

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

No different than getting a tank spawn when you get out of the elevator on No Mercy

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
I find the rat ogre to be harder than the tank in L4D, for a few reasons. One, everyone had equal range opportunities in L4D, so it was easy to have 3 people laying down fire on the tank while one person ran around, whereas with the rat ogre almost everyone has to get in melee to do significant damage. Two, the molotov was almost meant for bringing down the tank, so you just needed to set it on fire and dodge for a bit. Three, there seems to be a much higher chance of getting rat ogre + specials/ambush at the same time, vs getting tank + specials/ambush in L4D.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Skandranon posted:

I find the rat ogre to be harder than the tank in L4D, for a few reasons. One, everyone had equal range opportunities in L4D, so it was easy to have 3 people laying down fire on the tank while one person ran around, whereas with the rat ogre almost everyone has to get in melee to do significant damage. Two, the molotov was almost meant for bringing down the tank, so you just needed to set it on fire and dodge for a bit. Three, there seems to be a much higher chance of getting rat ogre + specials/ambush at the same time, vs getting tank + specials/ambush in L4D.

The rat ogre also changes targets. A NPC tank in L4D would stick to one target unless another player basically rubbed their face against it by hitting it with a melee weapon. Rat Ogres seem all too happy to go after someone else in range once it whaps someone away. If one person is kiting it while someone at range blasts away at it it'll also leap towards the other person instead so you have to be prepared to move and block which most players aren't

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 13, 2015

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The rat ogre also changes targets. A NPC tank in L4D would stick to one target unless another player basically rubbed their face against it by hitting it with a melee weapon. Rat Ogres seem all too happy to go after someone else in range once it whaps someone away. If one person is kiting it while someone at range blasts away at it it'll also leap towards the other person instead so you have to be prepared to move and block which most players aren't

Yeah, it's not enough to have 1-2 people competent at handling rat-ogres, the whole team really needs to be on board. However, a good tank can do wonders, I fought one where the dwarf expertly tanked it, never got hit, and kept taunting it so the rest of us just wailed on his back.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
The ability to block/dodge its swings makes it feel less threatening than a tank, to me. Tanks had a very real instant death zone going on that made them pretty scary to deal with, the ability to smack multiple people, and their rock throw was at least a factor. The rat ogre also can have it's aggro managed and telegraphs when it changes targets, while the tank was more fickle.

On the flip side, the tank could be totally neutered in an open space and could be kited easily. L4D level design meant you could also just run past one most of the time and often reach a checkpoint without issue.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

You could only run faster than them if you weren't backpedaling and were green health iirc.

Not something a group of people who are inexperienced would often be at. And if you are experienced then a tank wasn't too much of a threat as is, same as I expect this game will become.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
I think it will require a higher skill level though. You need to know which attacks to block and which ones to dodge. Also, the maps so far have a lot more opportunities to be thrown off a cliff, there are multiple places in Horn of Magnus and the one rat ogre spawn in Ramparts, whereas the only place you could get really tossed off the level was No Mercy (that I can remember).

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Every map in L4D 1 had at least one area that would be instant death if a tank knocked you back at the right angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

And a lot of spots where they could knock you away from the group pretty easily. Plus tanks had the ability to hit debris towards you which was an instant incap.

• Locked thread