Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
What's the status on the NDA for this? I honestly don't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

The game is quite fun and I'll be looking forward to playing the full release. The critiques I have thus far are:
  • The artwork in the first few levels is pretty monochromatic/grey. I know that's true to setting (and fixed a bit in some of the later levels), but it's still unfortunate. I don't know if this critique is true only to the levels on show or not though.
  • Melee combat isn't quite as satisfying as range
  • I wish the end of round rewards had more agency with them. Like if you could choose any of the items you qualified in the roll for or something else. It's not great to keep rolling weapons for classes you don't like.
  • I wish there was more variety to the combat in level. Since you keep the same weapons with you through the entire level (unlike in L4D where you frequently would swap around in a level and/or over the course of a campaign) levels feel a little more samey over multiple runs, especially if you keep playing one/two classes due to preference.
I'm also sad that I head they announced they will not be supporting a VS mode at launch, though there's a chance that it'll be added post. I suppose the original L4D didn't launch with VS mode either (or was it just available in No Mercy?), but I really hope it's added. That mode was the real heart of L4D for me.

Overall though, don't let my critiques dissuade you. This game is fun and fun to play with friends.

Brackhar fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 5, 2015

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Excelsiortothemax posted:

How would they reward a vs mode? Give chaos loot dice so you can bling out your rat man?

Why worry about rewarding it? It's just fun to fight against smarter opponents. That said, if they really wanted it to tie it back into the progression loop I'd probably just give bonus dice to both side compared to a regular match with the "winning" team (I'm imagining some sort of Stopwatch style competitive mode where the teams swap end of mission) getting additional bonus dice.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Bussamove posted:

Test ran Witch Hunter and Bright Wizard in the first mission, found both awesome in different ways. WH's ability to fire off a pistol with his sword out or to never stop shooting all of the guns was rad, but so was throwing out big pillars of fire. My only gripe with BW was that the venting mechanic wasn't explained at all and I took a lot of unnecessary ticks of damage venting too little charge before I realized what was happening, but that was me not paying attention.

Game is rad, basically. :black101:

[REDACTED]

edit: Nevermind, haven't found on in this beta yet so I won't say anything.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

President Ark posted:

So how long are missions in this, and - related - is there any kind of respawning mechanic? I don't look forward to playing this with pubbies if missions are 15+ minutes long and there's no way to get back people who bumblefuck their way off by themselves and then get stabbed in the kidneys 2 minutes into a mission die early.

Missions are comparable in length to, say No Mercy Mission 3 (the sewer one) from L4D1, if a bit longer. However, there's no campaign structure, so it's a one and done approach with the opportunity to vote to continue with the group in the end. As for respawning, if someone dies then they will eventually show up again further along in the map tied up on the ground, similar to L4D rescue closest but without the empty rooms built into the level.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

President Ark posted:

Thank christ, that was the thing that always killed my interest in highest-difficulty L4D2 - there'd always be that One Guy who'd commit suicide by placing their head directly into a zombie's mouth and then you're hosed (because on the highest difficulty in L4D2 people don't respawn)

Well, to be fair, "Realism" was the L4D2 mode that prevented respawned, which was a separate consideration from difficulty (easy/normal/hard/nightmare). Yeah, realism was generally more difficult because of the lack of medpacks/outlines, but I'd still say realism hard was easier than non-realism nightmare.

I do not know what rules if any change at the highest difficulties in Vermintide. I think it's just damage/spawnables?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

So Nightmare has friendly fire. I have no idea how to play a bright wizard with friendly fire on.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

There are no goons in either the group chat or in the CTS channel to play with. :smith:

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

When launching now I get a "Titled is Disabled" error that I can't get past; I guess the beta being online was a mistake.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Skandranon posted:

Strange, I started up the game just now and only have Horn of Magnus available. Did they change something, or is it just me?

Also, where is the server browser?

For what little of the beta I saw there was a progress wipe. It may not be unreasonable to think that you may need to complete certain missions before unlocking other ones, given there is some semblance of linear story (hence Horn of Magnus having the prologue label).

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Game is awesome, and definitely improved since earlier betas. I plan to play this quite a bit if we can get a regular group together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

DreamShipWrecked posted:

War of the Roses' lukewarm success was mostly just bad timing; it came out as the same time as Chivalry, a much more fun game. It wasn't that bad of a game really

Actually, as far as I understand it War of the Roses did quite well in Europe, whereas Chivalry definitely beat it out in the US.

• Locked thread