Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I'm glad there's nothing preorder exclusive that affects gameplay since I don't have much time for games right now so I'll be waiting on this game for a bit. The videos I saw looked really strong though, I haven't played anything that scratched quite the same itch as left 4 dead in awhile and didn't expect left 4 rats to come out of nowhere and be the next one.

Hate to bring this up, but you DO get 2 exclusive trinkets & headgear in the collectors edition. Not sure how long that's available for. No info on what the stats for the trinkets/headgear are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

I thought I read those were just cosmetic

The headsets probably are just vanity, the trinkets I expect have some effect, but no idea what.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
I find the rat ogre to be harder than the tank in L4D, for a few reasons. One, everyone had equal range opportunities in L4D, so it was easy to have 3 people laying down fire on the tank while one person ran around, whereas with the rat ogre almost everyone has to get in melee to do significant damage. Two, the molotov was almost meant for bringing down the tank, so you just needed to set it on fire and dodge for a bit. Three, there seems to be a much higher chance of getting rat ogre + specials/ambush at the same time, vs getting tank + specials/ambush in L4D.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The rat ogre also changes targets. A NPC tank in L4D would stick to one target unless another player basically rubbed their face against it by hitting it with a melee weapon. Rat Ogres seem all too happy to go after someone else in range once it whaps someone away. If one person is kiting it while someone at range blasts away at it it'll also leap towards the other person instead so you have to be prepared to move and block which most players aren't

Yeah, it's not enough to have 1-2 people competent at handling rat-ogres, the whole team really needs to be on board. However, a good tank can do wonders, I fought one where the dwarf expertly tanked it, never got hit, and kept taunting it so the rest of us just wailed on his back.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
I think it will require a higher skill level though. You need to know which attacks to block and which ones to dodge. Also, the maps so far have a lot more opportunities to be thrown off a cliff, there are multiple places in Horn of Magnus and the one rat ogre spawn in Ramparts, whereas the only place you could get really tossed off the level was No Mercy (that I can remember).

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Or buy it and play on 1024x738 and then get to see actual nice graphics when you get a new card.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

ps am no frog posted:

Two brand new missions are up right now. Supply & Demand and Smugglers Run.

Must be the two missions available for the 14th Beta. Lousy job, not paying me to play video games...

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Strange, I started up the game just now and only have Horn of Magnus available. Did they change something, or is it just me?

Also, where is the server browser?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Woo, got a blue trinket which gives +50% luck, which I assume affects dice rolls. I hope this current incarnation sticks through to release, as I like getting better dice rolls.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Game thinks you should play as the dwarf, why aren't you listening?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

I dont know posted:

I think that luck influences the items you find in level and skaven spawns. In other words, it make the AI director nicer or meaner. I could be wrong, but I think that is what makes cursed dice cursed, they lower your luck (and thus slightly increase the difficulty) for the rest of the level.

Huh, that's interesting as well, but not quite as exciting as improving loot. I figured it was for loot dice rolls because the loot game is called "Renalds something" and the trinket mentioned having the luck of "Renald" (replace Renald with the correct spelling of whatever the luck/gambling/theif god is in Warhammer). I guess we'll just have to wait for some more concrete info about traits when things finalize.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Friday 8am EST. Punching rats is fun (or would be, if there was an 'unarmed' weapon, now I want a Fist of the North Star mod)

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

So this game looks pretty fun. How well would it run on a GTX960m with an i7 5700 2.7ghz processor?

Probably fine? I have a 4990K and GTX 970, and running on almost everything on high, with no noticeable frame rate issues. 960m should be able to handle it fine if you drop a few settings.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
According to the release announcement, the minimum required would be a GTC 460.

Processor: Intel Core2 Quad Q9500 @ 2.83GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 940
Graphics: GeForce GTX 460 or Radeon HD 5770 /w 1GB VRAM
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 20 GB available space

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/warhammer-end-times-vermintide-pc-release-date-ann/1100-6430865/

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Tokubetsu posted:

Still haven't even attempted a difficulty above normal. I'll wait for retail and a group of goons first.

This is smart, you're much better off succeeding on normal with 3 tomes and 1-2 grimoires than failing over and over again on hard.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I've heard rumblings that the Dwarf has like a secret ability to his sheilf shove that causes what amounts to a taunt for rats hit? Is that true? He does seem like the tank class

All shoves work as a taunt, for all classes. It's just more effective for shield bearers because they hit so many more people, and can bash/block more.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Magni posted:

The dwarf or soldier with a shield+sword/axe/hammer combo is probably one of the best utilities a group can have. You can plop your rear end into a chokepoint and short of specials or multiple stormvermin, nothing will get past you. The finale on Tower of Magnus is a great exaple of that ase you can just sit on the stairs up to the horn and hold most of the horde at bay while grinding them down while the rest of the team kills the ones that come from above and shoots/grenades specials and stormvermin. Turns into quite the mix of :magical: and :black101: when the little dwarf first stops 20+ onrushing clanrats and then proceedes to just push and chop his way down the stairs against the tide, leaving a carpet of dead rats in his wake. It's like something straight out of the LotR movies.

Just got a grudgeraker with 90% chance to penetrate, can't wait to try it out in a similar situation.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
At 8am EST.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Yeah, the public test is ~14gb right now. They just shut it down a few hours ago. Expect a large (~20gb) download when the full game is available for download tomorrow morning.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Magni posted:

Afaik they are not going to wipe the pre-order beta progress you make unless they enounter some kind of progression-beaking mega-bug or something.

We really need a goon TS or mumble channel to organise groups for this.

We have 4 group channels on CTS. I should go add that to the OP.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

pubbies are really bad

hurrr dude is down time to run to the other side of the map to fight a gatling gun because ???

They really are, especially right now. Might change in the future but it never really does. Of chief importance is to be watching each others backs, you will all save a ton of health if you are keeping an eye out for sneaky rats coming up from behind or making sure someone doesn't get taken out by a special.

DeathSandwich posted:

The stream I was watching this afternoon showed an exploit on the Horn map where you could hang out on the horn itself during the final event and the rats have a hell of a time finding you.

As far as mumble, we've got the Camping The Stairs that I would reckon will be the go-to for goon organizing. We already have a steam group in the OP, join that.

There's an even better one. You can use a speed potion to jump back out of the arena entirely, so everyone can hide in the closet with the ammo box and the Witch Hunter / Waywatcher can machinegun everyone down while the dwarf just blocks with shield. Can even get on the elevator before the ceiling breaks if you're quick enough.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Not sure why they would restrict it a week before release, if you already had people testing the first three maps then why not let people that are already on the hook for the game play and test the rest? Fear of bad reviews?

I doubt it, all the maps so far have been quite good. I'm guessing they will release the maps gradually during the early beta.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah it's a bit weird how public betas are often treated as demos/a chance to play early so they have a fraction of the content of the full game, when they still need to test all of the levels. I won't have a chance to play for awhile, maybe 2 months so it won't affect me but they will probably end up with more bugs in the maps that aren't in the beta when the game launches.

If the developers treat it that way, it's because the public treats it that way. Just go back a few pages to see people flipping out that there were bugs in the earlier betas.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah people are retarded. The "beta = demo/early access" stuff is pretty hard set anymore. Which is funny because my idea of a beta is the kind of MMO beta where half the quests don't trigger and you tend to clip through the map and fall into the skybox.

Still, at least they find the bugs. At least let them into the new levels

I think they will. What I think they are doing is getting everyone who pre-ordered (which is a lot) up and running on the first few maps. Then over the next 7 days, they can unlock 1-2 maps/day, and people should rush into each one in a fairly predictable manner, giving better test results.

Gealar posted:

Darn I was hoping the download steam did last night would have been most of the game. But if it is 12gb or more I know I have a lot of downloading to do when I get off work.

Full game is quoted as 20gb in minimum specs, so the 14 we are seeing now isn't all of it either.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Would make sense. So what you are saying is that I should preorder on Thursday :v:

If that $30 is doing that much valuable work somewhere else, sure. I'd just get it now and play it whenever you feel like it.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

tarbrush posted:

Got a link? And could said link go in the OP please?

Link to PGS thread is in OP.

Edit: Link in OP was broken, it is now fixed.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Unless I misread it, they said your beta progress will transfer to retail. Unless it meant old beta to this.

No, this is the beta that will be persistent, UNLESS they discover some game breaking bug that people have been taking advantage of to game the system. THEN they will do resets, but they hope not to.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

All progress from this beta will carry as long as there isn't some massive technical bug where they have to rest to fix it

I'm hoping they'll do Skaven playable DLC cause Skavens helping man-things to beat other Skavens is completely true to Skaven nature. Skaven are the best

I'm hoping more for an Ork one. Think of how much fun the lines will be for an Ork talking with the rest of the characters, and what he says when krumpin' rats?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Dezztroy posted:

Note that cursed dice, tomes and grimoires do not give you extra dice, but rather upgrade one of the 7 you get.

Correct, they upgrade the dice to ones with better odds of 'hitting'. IE, they have more faces. Grimoire dice have 6 faces (100%), Tome dice have 3 faces (50%), Cursed Dice have 2 faces (33%), and normal dice have 1 face (16.5%).

Grimoires sit in your booster potion slot, and cut your teams health by 25%. This stacks if both are carried.

Tomes sit in your health item slot, but have no ill effects and can be dropped and picked up whenever.

Cursed dice sit in hammer space and take no slots, but MAY have spooky bad luck effects.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
There are respawn places, though they tend to be further apart. It IS important to keep moving in this, as specials and hordes will keep spawning if you waste time, but the important part is to be moving forward together. It's a lot harder for someone to get to you if you run into trouble, even a few clanrats can seriously ruin a rescue attempt.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
The trick with the sacks, as I see it, is to keep picking them up and dropping them. They don't blow up like gas cans, so there is no risk of them getting blown up when things get hairy. So you can set up a convoy, grab 3 sacks, and have 1 person covering while moving them back to the wagon. Also, you don't need to carry them straight back to the cart in one go, you can move them in steps, like with Payday 2. So if you can get them all in one spot, it's easier for 2 people to cover while 2 others grab/throw them in the direction of the cart.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

tarbrush posted:

Can anyone give me access privileges for the vermintide channel in CTS please? Name of tarbrush

Check the CTS thread, you don't need access, you just need to register your username with the mumble server.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Elpato posted:

Tried my first game of the pre-release beta. Bots are still OK on normal, but they are REALLY quick to discard tomes for healing items. Still got my first Grudgeraker out of it though, so I can't complain too hard.

I also may be the only person in the world that likes the Witch Hunter's rapier over his Zweihander. The big stick feels so clumsy, while the rapier is a precision instrument. I'm guessing it comes down to taste.

Not the only one, I love the rapier. It really makes mince meat out of Stormvermin, as you have high block and you can usually fire off your charged thrust before they can attack. It's always armor piercing, so you don't have to hit the head for it to work, and the offhand pistol is an extra 16 shots. It also attacks fast, and makes mincemeat of slave rats.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
The trick with the rapier is to go for headshots. You can hit fast and hard on the head, and your charged attack has extra range and always penetrates armor, so very good against Stormvermin. The pistols are excellent mid range, and the rapid fire mode is for emergencies, like when a sack rat shows up, or someone has grabbed a teammate.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Magni posted:

So, I got the handgun/harquebus on the Soldier and holy poo poo this thing is the Vemintide sniper rifle. It's single-shot and relaods glacially slow, but anything not a Rat-Ogre dies in one headshot and it's pinpoint accurate if you aim in with RMB. Stormvermin go down in two hits to the body.

Or playing higher difficulty, because that determines the quality categories of the loot stack at the end. IIRC you need to play Nightmare to have an orange item at the top of the stack.

No, you can have orange at the top on hard, it depends on the map.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Kanos posted:

I don't think you'll see them retrofit class abilities or RPG-style skill points or anything on, since that's a foundational change that you'd probably see in something like a hypothetical Vermintide 2. Assuming this is successful and gets good post-release support(be it paid DLC or unpaid patches), you will probably see additional classes, maybe more/different types of equipment for the existing classes, new maps, and possibly more enemy types/a versus mode, but I think the existing system is pretty much it in terms of what kind of character progression this game is going to have going forward.

I'm hopeful we'll get something skill point related on top of this game. I think if they add a skill tree + infamy (Legendary!) mechanic, they can significantly lengthen the treadmill. Adding the infamy on day 1 with the skill tree will give people at max level a sense of progression, as instead of just dumping max skill points into a build, they will just be +1 infamy level ahead. It could also be something they phase in gradually, so the skills would be like the current traits on weapons, but you choose for your character. So better pushing, more ammo, etc. This way, it wouldn't significantly break the game in ways that have not been considered, while allowing for even further customization and experimentation.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Plavski posted:

Why does this game have to be all things to all men? Can't it just be a fun 20 minute blast with buddies through hordes of rats? Why bolt on all these other elements and turn it into World of Skavencraft?

It doesn't have to be ALL things, but skill trees work well in this type of game, as Payday 2 has shown.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Reason posted:

Payday 2's skill tree sucks though

Perfect or no, it adds another dimension to the game, and that would be a good dimension to add to this game as well.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Nechronic posted:

You can hide your entire team under the horn platform :ssh:

This won't help you get better at the game though.

e: Is there anything you can do with lovely trinkets? Can't seem to do anything with them at the forge.

Might be able to fuse them with 5 other lovely trinkets to get a better one?

Also, I made a (terrible) avatar pic for the Goonintide group. If you are actually skilled at that sort of thing, feel free to post and I will change it if people seem to like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Magni posted:

Bright Wizard is glorious, even moreso if you also use a flaming sword.

:supaburn: ALL THE BURNING RATS! :supaburn:

• Locked thread