Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
Just played through a bunch of games tonight, and I'm so glad I pre-purchased this game. I want to support this sort of thing as much as I can. The combat is super satisfying, and I have reasons to like every class.
The Witch Hunter has cool akimbo pistols and all, but his rapier's thrust attack is the just the best thing. It's got great reach, and you can spear multiple rats in one thrust. Bonus points for multiple head stabs.
The Bright Wizard is an AoE damage machine with the default staff and a machine gun with her first unlock. I like how varied she can be.
The Dwarf Ranger is so meaty, and he's as close to a tanky/CC class as I've seen in this game. Knockbacks are also taunts, which is awesome.
The Elf is the most boring character in the game for me though all her kills are still pretty satisfying. Shoot people, stab people. I hope she gets more flavor with some unlocks.
The Imperial Soldier is the heavy weapons guy. Smack rats all day.

Being in Beta, however, I crashed out of the victory screens of the missions the majority of the time, so my level is very low. I read somewhere that it's a known bug, but I missed out on a lot of loot. I did manage to roll for two pieces of gear tonight, though, by NOT clicking on the satisfaction survey at the end of the match. Apparently it's breaking the GUI in some cases and causing the game to crash before I could get XP or loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I love that fact that I can be useful (even the linchpin of the team) with sword and board, since it's also a sort of taunt. The dwarf has to be my favorite character in the game so far. His starting weapon is satisfying to butcher rats with, and he's a one-dwarf shield wall. My Bright Wizard friend gets to just go hog wild while I take the hits.

I can tell the wide open maps like Machines of War are going to be the biggest issue on Hard and above. There's so much space between choke points that your team pretty much has to all be on board with sprinting from one to the other. Teaching pubbies to go to defensible positions and wait out hordes is going to take a lot of time and patience. In places like Horn of Magnus, it's not such a big deal because you can just duck into a one of the plentiful peasant broom closets and negate most of what the game can throw at you.

In my efforts to make the Waywatcher a bit less boring for me, I'm trying to switch out as many weapons for her as I can. A new, slower, more powerful bow has helped a little, making me feel like a special-rat sniper instead of Random FPS Hero. I haven't found anything to replace her dinky little daggers yet, but I feel that will go a long way toward making her feel more fun for me. Even if i'm not successful, I think I'll never have to worry about playing her anyway, since she's loving catnip for the xxxDARKASSassin420xxx type players.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Skandranon posted:

I like Lady Legolas...

Oh, I'm not arguing that she's not good. She's a great rat killer. When I do play her, I do really well on the scoreboard and such. I just feel like she's the most generic FPS character in this game, and that bores me.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Seems like they are trying to keep vastly different silhouettes for classes in the game (which is good for accessibility). Dwarf Slayer with a humongous mo-hawk or maybe another Elf character like a White Lion could make for some awesome DLC.

Elpato fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 8, 2015

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

dtkozl posted:

I really thought this game was a pile. Sound, music, writing, and narrative are complete garbage. That is my opinion but I would suggest to those wanting to get it on day one be wary, it is a buggy mess in beta and it is going to take more than until the end of the month to fix those problems.

I liked all of the thing you hate. I dunno. You sure you didn't expect it to be something other than L4D set in Warhammer universe?

As for bugs in the beta, I actually made it through the last night of the press beta with no issues. They fixed everything that made my game crash or bug out by the end of it. I was pretty impressed by how fast they were swatting my bugs.

Pre-purchased. This game was worth the 25 (?) bucks I spent.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Played a Horn of Magnus, Tomes, 2 Grimoires run last night, and it was pretty fun. My loot dice rolled multiple snake-eyes though. Yay greens.

Hard mode seems doable even with fairly disorganized pubbies, but when you factor in a couple cursed loot dice and the grimoires, it gets pretty darn intense. The pace of the game has certainly improved over the closed press beta. Threatening fights are much more frequent now. Stormvermin are true terrors when they catch you in close quarters, and they have other specials to back them up.

If you want to carry teams to victory, and you have no loot yet, you could do much worse than sword and board dwarf. The amount of good you can do by knocking back and taunting rats can turn even the most ADD riddled team into a unit. Just follow the most addled member of your team and make them look like a superstar. Use your crossbow to take out the specials out of reach while your team gets lost in broom closet or whatever the gently caress pubbies do when you're not up their rear end keeping them alive.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

My Steam if anyone wants to Goon group.

I'll be playing a lot more when I know I get to keep my loot (meaning after the 16th hopefully).

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I set my computer to install the game this morning. Came back to a 244 MB Vermintide folder. Now I'm downloading the actual game. Now I feel silly.

I'll be around to bop rats after 20:00 CST tonight.

From my experience in the recent beta up time, you don't really need upgraded gear to get through Hard runs if you can work together, so I'll be down for some of that. Until tonight I'll just be dinking around on normal-difficulty bot games while my daughter paints my nails or something.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Tried my first game of the pre-release beta. Bots are still OK on normal, but they are REALLY quick to discard tomes for healing items. Still got my first Grudgeraker out of it though, so I can't complain too hard.

I also may be the only person in the world that likes the Witch Hunter's rapier over his Zweihander. The big stick feels so clumsy, while the rapier is a precision instrument. I'm guessing it comes down to taste.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Donnerberg posted:

I tried the Empire guy with a sword and board. The combat feels loose on first impression. Like a slash just kind of hits everything on screen with a very forgiving range, and the push seems to go way out. Is it like Chivarly where you do more damage based on where within your swing the hit connects?

The sword and board for the Soldier really does feel loose. I feel like I'm cutting rats instead of hacking them. It's got a wide arc, but I prefer the axe/shield on the dwarf for tanky time.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I keep getting loot for the waywatcher... As the dwarf.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Skandranon posted:

I really like the Bolt staff, but hate the charging animation, as half way to done it completely obscures the targeting area, right when I'm trying to line up the headshot.

I got a blue bolt staff last night that has decreased overcharge rate and chance to heal on kill. Playing Fuegonasus has been pretty novel for me, since I play mainly melee focused guys. Lining up a bunch of rats for multiple head shots is quite satisfying. Does anyone know if it pierces indefinitely, or does it have a limit?

Got my first Hard run in this Beta cycle. Did it with a friend of mine and some pubbies last night. Before we even got to the guard house in Horn of Magnus, the elf was off on her own getting stabbed by a gutter runner for a good ten seconds before we could get to her. Queue finding two cursed dice early, a rat ogre in confined spaces, a stormvermin patrol right at the tail end of that, and not finding healing items until the courtyard after blowing the gate.

My friend and I decided this would not be a grimoire run. A good thing too, since we could barely keep the pubbies from face tanking every rat, even when they had a perfectly good shield tank to stand behind.

Still won. Rolled snake-eyes.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Grondoth posted:

Oh jesus those dice you find are cursed? No wonder I had such a bad time the first time I actually tried to play a level, I picked one up outta like the first box I found!

From what I understand they decrease your luck, meaning you find fewer helpful items in the level and have more rats spawning to kill you. I still pick them up without hesitation.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Drakenel posted:

We've kind of slowly come up with shorthand nicknames for the specials, if anyone is confused when they hear them

Gutter Runner=Assassin

I like Sneaker.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Longshot007 posted:

The grimoires are both in areas nobody should have been able to find on their own. There is no third tome at the moment, or its so well hidden nobodies found it. Theres a steam guide that shows you exactly where they all are.

My friend and i spent a whole run looking for these things with bots when the level first came out. We found 2 tomes and the grimoire on the limbermill. They are visible if you are spending lot of time looking and getting stabbed by random rats. It's just that it's tough to slow down one's bloodlust to look for books amid a sea of stabbyrats.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Been doing Hard Smuggler's Run runs a lot for the past day or two to get enchantment fodder, but I keep finding blue gear. Help, Goons!

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Coolguye posted:

I did a few Nightmare Smuggler's Runs with bots earlier and that was p chill. Seems like there's only one area for a ROgre to spawn and there's a route that gives you a lot of narrow corridors that make it super easy to punch through. The trick is to resist the urge to look around for stuff, since there's very little stuff in Smuggler's Run and as the only human you're the only one picking up stuff beyond medicine anyway.

Yeah, it's a map that seems pretty fit for bots. I've soloed it a few times at least on Hard with no issues. The only place they really run into trouble is when you are down in the middle of a mob of rats. They will kill themselves just trying to get you on your feet. Once they are down too, the others will come and try to pick you up without clearing the rats, resulting in their deaths.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Ok just completed a Nightmare Smuggler's Run after about 5 attempts. Had the most success with Bright Wizard with Bolt staff, since the bots are pretty shy about getting our their ranged weapons to take care of them.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Phrasing posted:

Is it just me or does the Bright Wizard suck?

Use both of your weapons.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

BombiTheZombie posted:

They all definitely treat it as a walk in the park. The dwarf sings, laughs and has a jolly good time. The only ones that are being a party poopers are the witch hunter and the elf.

Soldier/Dwarf/BW partyzone.

I think it comes from grimdark extremes that come with the setting in Warhammer. The world is constantly on the edge of becoming some cosmic terror's bitch, and you have to deal with it somehow. Either you start finding the fun in the ratman invasion or slowly go insane, because even if you kill all the rats, something else world ending is just around the corner.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

CJ posted:

I can understand zombies because apparently there are a whole lot of nerds who get really excited at the idea of butchering animated corpses, but i've never heard of someone wanting to kill an army of rat men. It just strikes me as a really bizarre theme to go with in terms of getting people excited to play your game.

EDIT: I know the lore is about a city getting overrun by rat men, but the developers still had to make the decision to make it a game about about a city being attacked by rat men. That's the part i find weird.

I think it's because the Skaven have a ridiculous amount of personality, and that's what it takes to make memorable enemies. They can't help but talk about what they mean to do to your protagonists, their contraptions tend to be just as dangerous to their operators as the enemy, and they can do the acrobatics necessary to swarm a city while still being fragile enough to kill by the hundreds.

Zombies are pretty cliche right now. They've been done to (un)death. loli'llbehereallweektipyourwaitresses

Edit: Also what ^ the fine people above me said.

Elpato fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 21, 2015

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Did wizard tower just now. One grimoire is in The Hall of Mysteries when poo poo gets all sideways. It's up a sideways staircase. You have to jump up every stair.

Also, the Rat Ogre is a loving nightmare in this map. If vertical drops are your thing, Wizard's Tower is for you.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

BadLlama posted:

Can bots handle nightmare sewers?

Yes, expect a few failures before success though. Depends on what kind of specials you get. If you get ratling gunners, and all your bots line up for death, there's not much you can do about it.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

CJ posted:

(I also think making the Brightmage playable character a 60 year old crackhead is a weird decision too)

I like this decision on the devs' part. All of these characters are veterans of some kind, and if you see an older Bright Wizard, it means they've seen some poo poo and haven't let their magic burn them to death (yet). She's addicted to magic, and she's constantly tempted to lose control even if would certainly mean her turning to ash.

If you were expecting a young, flirtatious, girl in a robe that could be someone's waifu, that's just not how poo poo goes down in Warhammer. The world is ugly, and it's not kind to its people. Fuegonasus is a woman with power and experience, and that's cool.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Drythe posted:

Bright Wizard is my waifu. It gets pretty hot under the sheets

You have no idea how hard I resisted the urge to say "burning sensation" in my previous post.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Grondoth posted:

I think it's weird that Sienna only has 2 or 3 keys that I can find. She's clearly better than that.

Her lore says she lacked the patience to stick around at the wizard college, and she struck out on her own once she got bored. She worked as a Wizard for hire after that.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Rookersh posted:

...had the Bright Wizard telling everyone over voip where the tomes/grimoires are, leading us around, and killing all the rats before we can even hit them.

I know this wasn't the main thrust of your post, but I wanted to talk about this. It seems like Wizard's Tower is a Bright Wizard MVP map due to it's focus on elevation change. On every difficulty level, you are almost always able to see the rats before they can climb up or down to your position. Someone with infinite ammo can really shine in usefulness here. I'm not even going to mention the final event, where the Fuegonasus can cover half the arena.

In nightmare, the teams that find somewhere high to wait out the swarms will have more angles for the Bright Wizard to lob fire at oncoming rats without hitting teammates.

In short, the Tower was made for Wizards. :hellyeah:

Rookersh posted:

I've still yet to beat the Magus Tower, and am level 2. I have a feeling I'd hold people back, especially since they'd still know how the level is supposed to go, while I barely do.

That fixes my problem, but it makes me a problem for the group!

Don't be afraid to try new things in this game. I'm still doing hard and nightmare runs with white gear on my dwarf. Just find someone that looks in control and stick with them. Be their bodyguard. If no one knows what they are doing, you are going to have a good time anyway without embarrassment.

Even if you wipe, what have you lost? Killing ratmen is its own reward.

Elpato fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 22, 2015

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

So, when they said they fixed the AI with this last patch, they must have taken out all the behaviors I used to exploit to go through solo Nightmare runs of Smuggler's Run. Now, I can barely get past the first gate before they charge headfirst into the rat swarm to die.

Maybe the bug was that bots were smart enough to survive Hard and above. :tinfoil:

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Hard mode Horn run with 2 grims, 2 tomes, 2 bots. Sprint to the elevator with low hp. Bots are dead. "Look out that Gas rat's gonna explode!"
"Whe---"
green cloud envelopes the elevator, killing us both as we start our slow descent.

Such a good game.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

After so long hoping for a new axe/shield to drop for my dwarf the day has finally come. Blue rarity with extra-strong knockback and chance of stamina gain on damage. I could not have hoped for a better one. I"m knocking clan, slave, AND all special rats with the exception of the rat ogre on their asses. Seeing Stormvermin stumble and fall when I smack them brings a smile to my face.

Anybody figured out a best practice for Wizard's Tower final event?

Right now I have my groups splitting into two groups. One group has the Bright Wizard and knockback tank stationed by the table in the middle of the arena to take care of the two lower wards. The Wizard lobs flames at the rats as they climb up, and she cleans up the ones that start hitting the wards as well. Meanwhile the knockback tank bonks rats off the ledges and watches the Wizard's back. An uninterrupted fire lady is a happy fire lady.

Meanwhile other two-person team are roamers that generally go where they see rats (the upper wards mainly since the lower wards should be engulfed in flames). If the elf is in the group, she does well up on the upper deck, taking care of threats to the wards while the other guy takes care of threats to the elf.

If wards go down, we shift our focus to those we can salvage. I think we've lost, at most, two wards using this strat.

Now getting to this event with pubbies is another story altogether. If they can stay together for the rest of the level, the final event will probably be cake comparatively.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I had a single gutter runner end a Horn run once. We were crossing that wooden bridge on the rooftops before the tower. The runner jumped the guy in the middle of our group, sending the rest of us flying off the edges. :xcom:

Also, can anyone teach me how to be a good elf? She's still my least favorite character, but sometimes you want to let your friends try their hand at being a dwarf. How do I manipulate trueshot arrows? Right now I try to lock onto my target and then aim at another rat so that the arrow pierces them both. This has had some interesting results, not always good. Also, daggers are my go to melee weapon for her because of eye stabbing, but it makes her blow at clearing hordes.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Kanos posted:

Elf stuff

DeathSandwich posted:

Also elf stuff

Thanks for the responses, fellas. Can anyone tell me if the trueshot arrow pierces targets on the way to its locked target? Am i getting the right idea to target a dude at the back of the pack to get some multishots in?

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Musluk posted:

Bolt staves are poo poo imo. Sacrificing one of the unique features of Bright Wizards - targetable ranged aoe - to one-shot elites is a bad trade-off, considering handguns do that job as well as bolt staves. Rather have Soldier/Elf snipe a runner and keep swinging over my dorf's head while the wizard goes mad with aoes.

I like the surgical nature of the bolts. I find it easier not to roast my team with it on Nightmare. Not to mention the bolt pierces multiple rats.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Sex Robot posted:

Despite the failings of this game people are going to play the poo poo out of it because it has one thing left4dead doesn't.

You've played the poo poo out of left4dead.

Not sure if you are giving credit where credit is due. Vermintide a Good Game, and Fatshark aren't even charging $60 for it.

The melee focus of this game is a big deal to me. Left 4 Dead got pretty old for me once I went through the campaigns once or twice, because there are only so many ways I wanted to shoot guns at zombies.

Having to get into the horde and get dirty makes me like this game much more. It makes me want to practice and get better at the combat. The class system makes tactical decisions more interesting too.

I have as many hours logged on the beta of this game as I do on L4D2.

Perhaps it's just a matter of taste. You don't seem to like it, and that's OK.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Went through a lot of the campaign tonight with a buddy and a couple bots on normal difficulty to get a feel for the maps. I'm loving the new ones.

Completed Wheat and Chaff (Normal) after a few tries. The Rat Ogre seems to spawn when you first get a wheat bag near the wagon. I'm not sure if this is the case all the time or just some. So instead of doing the Payday 2 thing, we purposefully rushed our first shipment of wheat to the wagon and took the rat ogre when we had full health. Seemed to work for us. The rest of the level was pretty manageable, as long as we didn't let the specials pile up.

We stopped on the White Rat, as I'm now too tired to see the rapier crosshairs. Maybe I can get that done tomorrow.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I feel like there's another forum somewhere housing all the bad pubbies. Every post is something like:

"I had this group, and it was perfect up until they stopped following me/reading my mind. Then I got hooked, and, of course, no one was there to back me up. loving scrubs. My mentor, Sun Tzu, would be ashamed of this generation." Upvotes for days.

It's Reddit. I'm talking about Reddit.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Duelling groups of stormvermin polearm vs rapier is cool and satisfying. Charge attack, stab one in the eye, dodge, repeat. By the end you are the last man standing.

Also if anyone is looking for a good time to get in a few quick hits vs stormervim, wait till after thier overhead swing. Thier head will be down, and it's easier to headshot them.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Hydrocodone posted:

What's the melee really like in this game?

I tried to get an idea by watching a few streams, but none of the players seemed that comfortable or good with the weapons yet. So what I saw was simply charging up axe swings and letting them go, slapping or more effective stabbing with the rapier and what seemed like an ineffective block (to be fair, it was against a rat ogre), and some guy with a short sword blindly hacking (he probably sucked).

On Easy and Normal, you can run around without knowing the ins and outs of the melee combat system without getting punished too much. A lot of people just LMB their way to the end, and it's a toss-up whether or not the rats win the war of attrition (and how many healing supplies spawn). Lots of the current Youtube vids and streams are this right now, because they don't really know what they are doing.

On Hard and above, you have to be maxing out how much damage you do without trading damage with some rat peon. You have to learn to dodge and block at the right time or you are going to get worn down or just straight up murdered on the higher difficulties.

Everyone weapon has a normal and strong attack. They are all different with their stats (power, speed, number of targets it can hit, armor piercing, knockback, etc). A heavy weapon like the Zweihander will obvious cleave more rats than the rapier, but it will do it much slower. You have to learn how a weapon swings and what you can do with it without getting hit in the process.

-The LMB click attack is your normal attack. It's faster than the strong one, and it generally causes lower class rats to flinch, so you can hack them to death without retaliation. That's the weapon's knockback stat at work. The normal attack is the attack that's spammable in lots of situations (and one you see used exclusively by terrible players). Some melee weapons are an exception here. The two-handed hammer can one-shot most rats with a single bop on the head, but it's an overhead swing. It doesn't let you wade into the horde without getting murdered.
-The LMB and hold (strong) attack is also different for every weapon. It generally has armor piercing because you are really wailing on whatever you are hitting. It takes a second to charge, so it becomes a dance to charge your attack, whack rats, then dodge back out before their friends behind them can retaliate.
-RMB is your block. Every weapon has its own stamina meter that lets you block attacks. Weapons with a shield obviously give more stamina for blocks, which the Elf daggers give very few. If all your stamina gets sapped by blocking too much at once, you stagger and probably get stabbed.
-RMB + LMB is your push. It'll push dudes back, and it also serves as a taunt. If you push a rat, they'll try to kill you instead of whatever else they were doing. Shields have great pushes while other weapons range from middling to poo poo.
-Strafing or backpeddling + jump is a dodge. This will let you get into the fray to do damage and come out without retaliation if you do it well. There are no i-frames from what I can tell. What you see is what you get.

This is turning into an essay that you probably don't want to read.

TLDR - there's some subtlety in the melee system that feels great to master and separates the good players from the bad.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Did Black Powder (Hard) last night with some friends new to the game. Some highlights:

-Gutter Runner pounces me so hard we break the law gravity and float to the moon.
-A Pack Master hooks my friend next to the boat, and, as he gets sniped, drops my friend into the water for an instant death.
-After we create a four barrel stockpile on the ground floor, someone's computer overheats giving us a bot. The bot then fights a horde in the middle of the barrel stockpile, causing a catastrophic chain of explosions that leaves nothing intact.
-I complete a Nightmare run with one RL friend and two bots.

That sure was... something.
:xcom:

I have yet to roll an orange (I'm level 26). I had to create my own last night from trash blues:

Yeah it's a one handed hammer, but I actually like the move set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Getting loot for another class usually inspires me to switch to that class for a bit to check out my new toy. Maybe once I get comfortable with everything, I'll want better gear for specific classes, but until then I'll probably have fun with the grab bag loot system.

• Locked thread