Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Tokubetsu posted:

Wheat and chaff is hard on normal and impossible on hard.

Its doable if you bring two people with handguns to take out the massive amounts of stormvermin and specials that will spawn constantly. Also, i think a rat ogre is guaranteed on that level so prepare accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

FoiledShenanigans posted:

So in a run turning sour in the wheat and chaff mission we stumbled across a odd... I guess exploit? To Deal with a rat ogre. A friend arsing around hid in the wagon, saying he was going to leave us all behind when the ogre turned up and got in there with him beating him to a pulp. To which I decided to close the door on it. Lo and behold the rogre was trapped inside, letting us clear up the horde and rescue our teammates, then gather the other grain bags and finally beat the ogre from outside the cart and outside his grasp. Dumb poo poo but funny as hell when it happened.

I like Olesya looking at you all "Really, first i gotta wait an eternity for you in skaven infested lands and now this?"

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

This will unfortunately never happen. During the reddit AMA, the fatshark CEO said that they wouldn't "break lore" or whatever. So that kinda eliminates a lot of interesting campy ideas.

This could still mean a high/dark elf character, several dwarven classes, wizards of different kinds, knights etc.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

mirarant posted:

Having gone through 40+ runs my highest roll is 4 on the dice, this might feel a bit less painful is level ups gave me something other than whites.

You'll start getting greens eventually, around level 33 or so. Still doesnt change the fact that RNG loot is a load of lovely bunghole.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Backhand posted:

Holy poo poo you people were not kidding about Wheat and Chaff. I just tried it for the first time, and wiped three attempts in a row before I made it even halfway on the grain.

On Easy.

Is there anything obvious I am missing? The hordes literally never loving stop; Black Powder at least gives you some breathing room now and again, but W&C is neverending hordes, rogres, stormvermin, and specials, just constantly.

Nothing special about it, its simply over tuned. The devs themselves were all smug and "Its all about teamwork, thats all!" when they went into it, and after they wiped three minutes in they grumbled to themselves and noted that it might "need adjustment"

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
A lot of damage avoidance comes from always watching your own back. Turn around every now and then because i can promise you there will be a rat mid "run and stab" animation ready to shank you in the rear end. They aren't like L4D/2 zombies in that they holler like inbred hillbillies from a campy horror movie before they attack/when they chase you. They don't even have footsteps most of the time.

-Have eyes in your back.

-Bubble up if you get ambushed and create a chokepoint.

-Always keep a bomb in handy, there have been countless times a well thrown bomb has killed a hook rat dragging a companion off beyond the horde.

-Dont be shy with potions, the drat things are everywhere.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
The problem with the BP exploit is that it leads to pubbies running only it. People will chase loot like their lives depended on it, so of course they will run the fastest loot-to-time ratio mission available. This in turn kills off any other far more interesting maps from the circuit as people exploit BP until they get bored and quit.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Vargs posted:

An Elf pubbie just tried to kick me from the game for duping items with my 8% dupe chance trinket, then almost immediately proceeded to get surrounded and die. He then left the game in shame, taking our progress with him because he was hosting.

Elves.

Elves come in two flavours: The idiot Legolas that gets murdered off screen and then quits, and the tryhard sperglord that has a fit if people don't do exactly as they said, run off alone because they are "that good" then die and ragequit.

You'd be surprised just how much banning the elf does to get chill and good people into your games.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Hatastrophe posted:

I can't say what's going on in your case, but I honestly didn't give the charged shield bash as much as I should have and didn't get that I shouldn't just push like crazy (I still do against Storm vermin though in between axe hits). Someone mentioned it in this thread and I've been spamming it like crazy since then. I use an axe shield combo on the dwarf and its helped an insane amount.

Personally i dislike the charged attack on shield + weapon items, they seem to have a really weird hitbox and wonky hit detection. Sometimes you can hit anything up to five meters in front of you and other times you wont even hit the rat standing right under your nose.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

I dream of this world.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I really appreciate how useful guns are even if the game is melee focused. Kruber with a Repeater and Saltzpyre with his pistols forming a firing line can just absolutely wipe a horde before it ever meets melee.

I prefer the handgun/crossbow because while repeaters/pistols can kill a horde really fast as you said, melee does the exact same thing with no ammo restrictions. What melee doesnt kill are gunrats/gasrats and to a certain extent stormvermin.

ChickenHeart posted:

The Ratogre needs the ability to hurl unwilling clanrats at distant players. Alternatively, have the game occasionally swap out the current ogre for the hilarious-looking Age of Sigmar version with guns for arms.

edit: Dont forget a chaingun in his chest. Dont ask me how it works.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Lemming posted:

"Rocks fall, everyone dies."

Sounds really cool.

Games Workshop is the dumbest company on this god blessed earth. Nothing new.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
An orange at level 1 is the same as an orange at level 30. There are no level restrictions or item levels.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Grondoth posted:

She drinks hella strong wine instead.

She seems like the kind of elf that gets drunk swilling wine coolers then insults the rest of the bar until she pukes in a plant and passes out.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Warhammer Fantasy has always been kind of different from 40k. 40k was the grimdark one where a grisly end to All That Is is assured, it's just a question of which flavor of Grisly End was going to ultimately finish off that crapsack galaxy.

Warhammer Fantasy didn't really have that sort of fatalism attached. It certainly wasn't cheery but the sense of assured doom simply wasn't there. That's part of why this End Times thing is so damned annoying. The other part is how poorly written and badly handled in general it was.

This: Warhammer Fantasy was far more hopeful. The forces of chaos have demons, corruption, disease, monsters, magic etc. on their side but are beaten back by the sheer doggedness and determination of humans and the remaining elder races. Thousand year old demons and superhuman champions versus a fisherman from Nuln conscripted into service and handed a handgun who ends up WINNING! There is co-operation, trade and even levity in WHFB compared to "In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war".

Then the Endtimes happened and flushed it down the toilet.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Alkydere posted:

In short, instead of admitting they're not the best writers Games Workshop doubles down like teenagers being told their totally badass fursona (totes original, do not steal) is rather, well, dumb. Basically, as I said, Games Workshop is a company that somehow manages to make money despite themselves. They take themselves too seriously and can't roll with punches and go hyper-critical the moment someone tries to give even constructive criticism.

These are the people that called their miniatures "Small glimmering jewels of magic and wonder" in their financial report. They write like Creative Writing 101 dropouts and they refuse to believe that they could be at fault in any way, shape or form.

In a fair universe, Warhammer would have been in the hands of competent people.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Exploiting is getting out of hand with the pubbie population. Cant run a BP without it getting exploited, cant do Horn of Magnus without exploits. Only a matter of time before the other maps are similarly farmed due to some exploit.

I know, i know. Pubbies and all that.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Yeah but Tolkien's the one who really turned them from tiny magic fairy people with a mischievous streak to haughty hippie immortals with bows that every fantasy uses because Dungeons and Dragons picked it up and ran with it too.

Also don't forget GW tried to trademark the term Space Marine even though it's been used in sci-fi since at least the 1930s.

I wonder what happened to turn GW into a clowncar of failure. Did they all accidentally get locked in during a bug spraying or something?

Back in the early 2000s they weren't that bad, expensive yes but not "Lets nuke the iconic setting that put us where we are and replace it with BLOODSECRATORS that wield four-bladed axes! *Huffs paint thinner*" dumb.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Tiler Kiwi posted:

My favourite dude has to be kruber. He's a nice combination of an ideal soldier gentlemen, combined with being sort of an emotional mess and hiding it behind a stiff upper lip. The latter is kind of subtle until you look at his room and see the combination of little handcrafted crude dolls and copious amounts of alcohol.

He's got a... moment with saltz as well. Went roughly like

:geno: You're thinking about going to try to find your family at your farm, aren't you?
:unsmith: Aye, sir.
:geno: They're all dead, you know.
:smith: I know, sir.
:geno: Don't try to hope, focus your anger on revenge instead, soldier.
:smithicide: Aye, sir.

I ran an The Enemy Below and Kruber whips out this gem:

Bardin: We heard about your family, you have my condolences

Kruber: *with a wavering voice* They found them... They all died... The rats got to them sir.

Saltzpyre: There was nothing to be done, especially after the plague ravaged them!

Kruber: I know sir, i just wish to leave the matter be...

Saltzpyre: That's the spirit, soldier! You truly show discipline!

Kruber: *With a hint of anger* Sir...

Saltzpyre can be a bit of a dick at times.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

As long as the guy with rat ogre on him doesn't fight back, it tends to switch target after a couple of punches. What you do is walk backwards with your block up and you dodge when its attack animation starts. Ideally you'll succesfully dodge and make it waste time chasing you more, but if it hits, your block takes it and you just have to deal with 1 more attack before its attention usually goes to someone else. Then that person has to do what you did. Positioning is real important, you don't want to be cornered or punched over a cliff.

It's lovely that the best answer to rat ogres is a very specific loot drop, but potion sharing trinkets make them a whole lot easier. Obviously strength potions are super good, but use speed potions too if you have them because they increase attack speed. I'm working on nightmare completions now to get a fancy new banner in my inn, and things are much less dicey when you can increase the entire group's damage output at once.

The problem is the rat ogre (and several ordinary skaven) tend to go from the "Im standing still and punching you" to the "Hes far away, im leaping at him and punching at the same time" animation in a heartbeat, even if you block the first strike or if the first strike misses. His slam attacks are also very irritating because they come out so fast.

If you have latency problems the slam is what will get you the most since it does full damage through block and has a far bigger area of effect compared to his punches.

Other than that, if he's far away you can pop a strength potion and shoot him in the head a few times with a handgun. Eight or so shots with a potion powered rifle will kill a RO if you manage to land em on the head.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Dont be so sure, i ran a nightmare where everyone was playing well (even the elf!) but the Bright Wizard. He literally could not stop shooting us in the back with his lovely little staff.

We told him time and again to stop trying to shoot rats and use his melee weapon. Then we had enough after he downed someone. In the end we went Robocop on him when he was at low HP and left his carcass for the rats.

BombiTheZombie fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 29, 2015

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Do we ever learn what happened to the dwarfs quest for the lost hold? Krubers family died, Saltzpyre and Sienna don't really have an interwoven story and who honestly cares about the elf, but the dwarfs reason for being there is never concluded.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

frajaq posted:

I really really want a Bretonnian Knight to help out with quips in a heavy french accent

Only if they go really, really over the top with it. "Sacre bleu, the Elf has been strangled mon amie! Avaunt!"

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
The Book of Grudges is not a single large tome, mind you. It is just the general name for a thousand volume collection of thousand page books. The dwarfs do not forget a slight.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
The exploiting isn't caused by the loot system. Even if the loot was not random and you could pick from one item on a list that was created depending on how well you did, people would still exploit because it is easier and guarantees loot.

It's a player problem, not a problem with the system. If loot is all people play for then they will find a way to get it as fast and easily as possible. Just laugh at anyone that tries to exploit then boot em from the group.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Servers down again, just as i was done running nightmare monastery of morr :(

It was a pretty good group for a pubby run too

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Did they do something to the spawnrates lately? Just helped a friend with a few normal missions for the campaign and every single short/silver mission we did had Wheat & Chaff levels of spawns. Two to four stormvermin per pack, three to four specials and a never ending horde. We literally didn't get a single moment of silence as the soundtrack blared the horde music non stop as rats kept spawning during the entire run of Waterside.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
The elf is never explained, they dont talk about it and she never says anything about her purpose there. She is just "mysterious elf archer #234" that pubbies can latch on to.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
There are some serious balance issues still in game, but since it is a beta they will probably (hopefully) fix them before or shortly after release. As said before, dwarf with the drakecannon and elf with hagbane invalidates all other players.

As Kruber i usually just tag along and take in the sights, maybe blast a special with my gun every now and then. Its extremely boring, simplistic and makes you feel like a tag along there to witness the glory of the animu elf and shortbread mcgee.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Hell the hagbane used to be the newbie trap of V1, there to cause friendly fire and lightly tickle the rats. That is until they switched poisons from hagbane to cancerous super-arsenic and it became incredibly deadly.

Elf has always been a top tier character due to fast animations and attacks coupled with incredible boss-killer weapons. None of the other characters can match the sheer carnage a well played elf can do in either V1 or V2. Which is a shame because she is an insufferable shithead of a character, whose death none in the party should mourn,

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
The problem is "you have to aim" is something every other character has to deal with as well. A handgun has to be aimed since if you miss, you have a lengthy reload time ahead of you (This goes for the shotgun types as well). Being able to rapid-fire three arrows at a special and get a body shot is far easier.

The hagbane and drakegun are necessary evils with the current bloated spawnrates but the fact that other characters have nothing that compares leaves them a little behind, and makes it so that all they can do is clean up the occasional straggler or special when the dynamic duo get grabbed.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
REMOVE ELF remove elf
you are worst char. you are the elf idiot you are the elf smell. return to athel loren. to our elf cousins you may come our contry. you may live in the zoo….ahahahaha ,nordland we will never forgeve you. cetnik rascal gently caress but gently caress rear end in a top hat elf stink nordland sqhipere shqipare..elf genocide best day of my life. take a bath of dead elf..ahahahahahNORDLAND WE WILL GET YOU!! do not forget war of thebeards .bretonnia we kill the king , bretonnia return to your precious woods….hahahahaha idiot elf and nordland smell so bad..wow i can smell it. REMOVE ELF FROM THE PREMISES. you will get caught. empire+dwarfs+lizardmen+kislev=kill athel loren…you will war of the beards2/ tupac alive in ubersreik, tupac making album of empire . fast rap tupac empire. we are rich and have gold now hahahaha ha because of tupac… you are ppoor stink elf… you live in a hovel hahahaha, you live in a yurt

tupac alive numbr one #1 in empire ….gently caress the athel loren ,..FUCKk ashol elfs no good i spit in the mouth eye of ur flag and contry. 2pac aliv and real strong wizard kill all the elf farm aminal with rap magic now we the empire rule .ape of the zoo presidant grey seer fukc the great satan and lay egg this egg hatch and athel loren wa;s born. stupid baby form the eggn give bak our clay we will crush u lik a skull of pig. empire greattst countrey

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
I cant stop using the halberd on ole kruber, the combination of wide sweeps and long pokes are extremly my poo poo. I just wish some more +attackspeed / +crit items would drop to really make it a rat/football fan blender.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Some of the banter is pretty funny. Had a Saltzpyre use a healing draught while almost at full health, and Sienna just went "Saltspyre..." In a condescending tone, to which he responded "The wound was deep, I could hardly stand!"

I had an elf quaff a healing potion at 80% hp (as they are want to do) to which bardin said " typical, the elf is only looking after her own skin". Elf hate is now canon.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Playing on veteran to farm loot teaches some very bad habits. Almost every single Sienna/Kerillian on champion has been a friendly fire machine, often losing me more health to arrows/fireballs than i lose to rats.

Its also very hard to find champion games because the average syrupbrain cant mindlessly spam ranged attacks.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

NeurosisHead posted:

I haven't dipped into veteran yet. Does Sienna's fireball do FF damage during its flight? It was a game changer for me when I realized that it did so I could funnel it through a line of rats in a chokepoint, but I'd hate to lose out on that because of friendly fire.

It will detonate if it hits a friendly target on the way, and also the splash will do damage and apply a small dot. You have to be really careful with ranged attacks on champion because a trueflight bolt will take 40% of your hp in an instant, and a blunderbuss shot will do around 65% of your health.

Unfortunately, friendly fire scares off most people so champion queues are hit and miss.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Agrajag posted:

did you mean champion?

I phrased it weirdly, i meant that playing on veteran teaches bad habits for champion difficulty and beyond.

Champion has friendly fire, and it can be brutal when it comes to skills such as the huntsman, trueflight and bounty hunter abilities. Veteran and below is dominated by ranged play because you can just blast away with little worry, but once friendly fire is a factor you need to make sure you don't accidentally murder your team. Sienna's unchained ability is notorious for wiping out 30% hp on friendlies around her so she has mostly been a liability in the games ive played.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Slayer Bardin is kind of rear end, his dual axes deal tons of damage but only hit one enemy each, and on higher difficulties cant one-shot plague zombies so enjoy getting stabbed by the other 19 that survived your flurry. He would be good at killing monsters but Kruber exists, he would be good at killing hordes but Ironbreaker does just as well with a better active and more utility. The lack of a ranged weapon is also too much of a malus to overcome without seriously overpowering him, i feel.

I personally have found no use for the little ball of rage, which is too bad since the class is fun as hell to play.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

You need more power level. X, whatever X might be, always feels kinda poo poo until you pump up the power level to a breakeven point we don't know what it is because its communicated unclearly by the game for each difficulty level

Weird thing is, i am at power 365 / level 13. The training dummy shows my axes doing 800 damage a hit, but they stop dead in their tracks on hitting two targets. Im assuming the second target gets 50% of the damage if V1 is anything to go by.

I think the axes just don't have any penetration by design, they certainly have far less than even a one handed axe does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Skypie posted:

I played War Camp earlier leveling my dorf. Since I've been Huntsman Kruber, I did not realize how much that fight can suck. Also, it cracks me up that the boss says he will fight you alone cuz he doesn't need help then summons adds non stop. :v:

A champion of the ruinous powers lied? Why i never! :v:

Honestly, a huntsman Kruber just makes that boss fight a nonfactor, so much so that i have a hard time playing any other class.

• Locked thread