Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
I will never get tired of Indiana Jonesing berserkers: "For the dark gods, aaaaaaAAAAAA-" * blam*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Ranged careers in general were a mistake imo. Kerillian with swiftbow, BH Salty with repeater, Kruber with the boomstick and Sienna with plasma ball spam is all you need in a level. Salty and Kruber will handle bosses, with Salty instakilling most bosses while Kerillian and Sienna mow down anything before they even reach you. Specials barely have time to realize they are dead before a hail of gunfire, arrows and fireballs are heading their way.

Did three back-to-back champion runs with this set up and it got so boring and simple we started shooting each other just for kicks.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Zephro posted:

This and also:

1) making the Old World into Not-Quite-Earth gave the whole setting some grounding, whereas AoS is just a bunch of pocket dimensions that mean nothing

2) Old World didn't take itself too seriously, which was a big part of its charm compared to both modern 40k and AoS. Among the many good things about Ratfight is it absolutely nails this aspect of the setting. And, related:

3) Holy balls AoS is written in crayon by eight year olds. It's all Bloodmurder Slaughterbands and Blazeheart Fireblazers and KillMurder Murderslayers. I am a loving huge nerd who reads wiki articles on pretend languages and even by my shockingly low standards this stuff is cringeworthily embarrassing

The one unit that encapsulates Age of Sigmar to a tee is called the Bloodsecrator. They have axes with four blades that constantly drip blood, and they eat their enemies right after killing them even in the middle of a fight!

Its all just so... childish in its absurdity. Not that the Old World had any less ridiculous stuff but it was all fairly grounded.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
I suppose that's the best way to describe it. Its WH40k lite, with any and all personality stripped away and replaced with Brimstone Fyreslayers, Stormcast Eternal Thunderers and Oorruks.

They killed the Old World to make another 40k game is all (Yes i am still salty over it).

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

What would you even play as in a AoS Vermintide? Four Sigmarines all shouting how great and awesome Sigmar is? That’s another thing that bothers me about AoS lore too. When the realm balls were new (fukkin :lol:) all the good realms started to get those poo poo pushed in until Sigmar unleashed his Sigmarines and pushed them back. It’s literally GAWD EMPAHRAH from 40K brought over and it’s dumb as poo poo

Hey now! Its not God Emperor, its God King now! Totally different: "Sigmar, also known as the God-King, is the god of humans, the lord of the Realm of Azyr and the supreme commander of all the Stormcast Eternals." By happenstance, the Stormcast Eternals all have huge pauldrons and suits of armor with easily paintable surfaces, wielding lances that shoot bolts of thunder that explode on contact. Not at all like the Space Marines! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Problem is that the recent (as far as I know, I read Eisenhorn, thought it was hot garbage and never read anything else, this is mostly hearsay) writers are taking things way too seriously and they have also killed the setting.

This is the problem when you let fans that grew up with the setting write the lore of the setting. They are so busy huffing the fart gasses of their favourite race/character/mguffin that they lose the humour and satire only to replace it with super serious grimdark poo poo.

• Locked thread