Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i like how all the characters hate each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
you also do not keep any items found during the beta

it's pretty neat how enemies are affected by the momentum in your swings. nailing a bunch of rats with a power swing sends them all stumbling in the direction of your blow, unless they're a stormvermin, because those guys are dicks

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i dumped a bunch of thoughts about the game into the beta feedback form they provide in the launch menu. the fools!

i rather like what ive seen but theres not much of a feeling of OH GOSH I GOTTA HAVE THIS, and I wonder if its going to last more than a month or two. I hope it picks up a playerbase and the devs go the payday/l4d route of keeping up a series of dlc/updates. I also wonder how many things they can really get sorted out in two weeks; the AI gets stuck on stuff a lot and the packmaster/gutter both feel like I'm fighting a janky bundle of polygons with a quantum hitbox a lot of times. the levels also don't have a real sense of "arc" to them or feeling of attrition; even on higher difficulties, it feels like its more a game of "everything is great until it suddenly isnt and we all die".

i'd be leery if it cost $60 but for 30 bucks it seems like an above-adequate deal.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Skandranon posted:

I think the same could have been said of Payday 2 when it first came out, there were only a few heists and 4 characters, no perk decks, etc. If they keep at it, I think it will be good.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. It kind of relies on trusting the devs a bit on this; I've liked what I've seen from them since I've been following their dev blog a bunch, but they've been acting fairly cagely about post-release stuff. Which is understandable since it the game just flops them they're not going to stick with it, but I'd like to hear more of a sense of "yeah we hope we can turn this poo poo into our golden goose for idiots to feed us money forever as we give them a trickle of fancy hats" because gently caress I'd be all over that.

Then again my friend's viewpoint is "cash-in game" which, really, I can't blame him, since its a warhammer game, and the dev's last noteworthy thing was Lead and Gold, which wound up rotting in a stinky ditch fairly quick after release.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i was playing the dwarf and chucked a grenade so badly it flew off and hit nothing, and the fire mage told me that took real skill to hit nothing at all.

the dwarf retorted by claiming he wasnt drunk enough to aim properly.

e: you will also be yelled at for jumping too much

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
beta convinced me to get the game

i hope it sticks around!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Darkn1o posted:

Does anyone know what the Cataclysm difficulty is like? Is it the same difficulty gap as between hard and nightmare?

I tired cataclysm on map one with friends.

Two died at the guard house. The other two never reached the pigs.

That's as far as I got.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

BombiTheZombie posted:

After playing the beta i gotta say the BW is far weaker than i thought she would be. On normal and easy she is fine and even fairly powerfull with the Aqshy Staff but on hard and above you just rack up heat too fast to be usefull. Every other character has a stronger ranged option compared to her and for the most part ammo is not a big deal since guns and bows do a lot of damage even on nightmare.

Other than that the game feels awesome, stabbing a rat in the throat as the Witch Hunter and seeing it gasp for air through blood is satisfying in that serial killer-y way.

I noticed on wednesday that they had tuned down the witches cooldown to pretty crazy levels (like you could keep a pretty consistent rhythm of fireballs going without issue), but yeah a few of the staves felt lackluster.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I figured it was more meant as a DoT applier rather than something you kill with. Like you just put on a laser light show and light everything on fire rather than pretend you got a microscope.

If you want to play "gently caress that rat in particular", you play someone else and take a handgun/crossbow. Or the elf with the homing arrow, but tbh that one gets a little old when you get swarmed with skavenslaves and youre trying to get it to lock on to the rear end in a top hat off in the distance shooting everyone to shreds.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
cataclysm is this

e: AKA "dont get hit" mode

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
By the way, the devs have stated in the steam forum that they definitely are doing post release content. Nothing actually stated yet, but they were asking for feedback and claimed they'd talk about it more "in the coming weeks".

They haven't given anything for sure on having dedicated servers. They won't say anything until they're for sure one way or another.

E: next closed beta is the 14th at 12gmt and lasts 24 hours. Progression from prior betas will be wiped.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 9, 2015

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
you get a video game

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I never had any money or mask parts since I'd keep thinking they looked poo poo ingame and remaking them

The loot system seems fairly merciful in it's current inception. Even if your luck is poo poo, you can always fuse junk to get higher quality items eventually.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I was just playing it. Its not officially online in any case so I would not be surprised if it was irregular in being on or not for people.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I doubt it, since it's during the end times and most of the characters are tied up dying offscreen in some throwaway line in a trash novel.

On the flipside, there are some special skaven that are not featured in the beta. I'm betting on there being a grey seer at some point since there's a preview image of one. Beyond that, :iiam:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Anyways for those that missed the super secret unintentional closed beta, here is all the gameplay stuff I noticed

Characters start with an additional weapon.

Only three types of ores for the forge, instead of four.

Normal difficulty gives a health potion everyone at the start.

Ranged is weaker; it might have just been a raising of clanrat HP, but a rat taking two fireballs/shots instead of one is pretty noticeable. Headshots are still lethal.

Bright mage can shoot more stuff off before overheating.

Gutter runners got a new model and overall felt less bullshit. They're not as quick on their vanishing act and didn't seem able to chain pounces as well.

Rat ogre spawns appeared in new places. Got one at the barracks, and one at the bar. Never two in one map, though.

Stormvermin patrols move faster, almost player speed.

Crescendo after blowing the horn is more constant: more like a constant steam than waves.

Stormvermin guard the anchors to the screaming bell now, and a full patrol sits around idle in front of the tower entrance. Makes the map feel very combat heavy.

Special spawns seem a little looser as well. Got two loving rattling gunners, side by side, after blowing up the gate, which may have been scripted it was so cruel. It was at least cool seeing them gib a swarm of skavenslaves that ran out of it. I got to watch it from the ground. Jerks.

(I hope they don't erase my stuff again since I picked up a green shield that had +2 stamina on it which was really nice to have and I wanna keep it.)

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Dezztroy posted:

I feel like they should make the Rat Ogre drop a loot die or something, because right now the Rat Ogre is just a random "gently caress you". I do like random gently caress yous in games, but getting some reward for making it through the mission after killing what is the game's boss enemy would be nice.

counterpoint: this may dilute the role of the sackrat being the most rewarding and highest priority foe to kill and I will not have that

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
The ability to block/dodge its swings makes it feel less threatening than a tank, to me. Tanks had a very real instant death zone going on that made them pretty scary to deal with, the ability to smack multiple people, and their rock throw was at least a factor. The rat ogre also can have it's aggro managed and telegraphs when it changes targets, while the tank was more fickle.

On the flip side, the tank could be totally neutered in an open space and could be kited easily. L4D level design meant you could also just run past one most of the time and often reach a checkpoint without issue.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the shield is actually pretty drat powerful; its charge attack doesnt do much damage, but the knockback plus huge range means you can really lock down a lot of foes.

the ability to just block so long forever doesnt hurt either. you can even block bullets (for a very limited duration)

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
sack rats are the best enemy in the game

MINE

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Normal is way too easy. Hard is even too easy most of the time until you know where the grimoires are.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
pubbies are really bad

hurrr dude is down time to run to the other side of the map to fight a gatling gun because ???

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Skandranon posted:

They really are, especially right now. Might change in the future but it never really does. Of chief importance is to be watching each others backs, you will all save a ton of health if you are keeping an eye out for sneaky rats coming up from behind or making sure someone doesn't get taken out by a special.

yeah thats the most annoying thing of all. I'll be fighting a bunch of rats in one direction and then suddenly I'll find myself alone and surrounded since everyone else drifted off because there wasn't any rats in their immediate proximity.

e: the skaven put a pretty high priority on flanking around you, i've noticed. the l4d2 infected would kind of do that, but not in as such an indirect manner that ive seen some rats do. that and other factors make it harder to try to be a solo superstar; you could get away with that pretty well in lower l4d2 difficulty levels

also stormvermin have got some funny voices

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 16, 2015

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Alexander DeLarge posted:

So, will they wipe progression after this "beta"?

not unless they have to

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
You can shoot a gun while holding it by hitting the special attack button

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
usable on exactly one weapon!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
There was a post on the steam forum from a dev that went "yeah we are doing post release stuff"; the 30 dollar price tag was meant to get as broad a base as possible for future dlc.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
nightmare is a lot harder than it was earlier. they at least changed it so you can respawn in it now.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzj6EeFi_7U

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the gas rat's AI is rather lacking, so i doubt thats an issue.

the gas rat being actually semi-competent at chucking his globes around would do a lot to make the horn spot a real dicey proposition as well. he spends way too much time lollygagging.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

i rolled poorly

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Until they pick a fight with a ratling gunners :(

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Apeshit Sixfingers posted:

I'm afraid of what cataclysm is like!

a short and painful road to death, generally

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
pubbies are vermintards®

context: horn of magnus, hard. was running with a buddy and two pubbies; pubbie A was inexperienced and probably 13 but just kind of pitifully bad instead of contemptuously inept, pubbie Elf tried to play pointman and died around four times or so. neither one grasped that standing behind the person with the shield was a good idea.

i vetoed going for a second grimoire since both the pubbies were being terrible so we did the finale using the craven hide-on-the-horn exploit. Well, the elf went to hide under the horn, instead. a gutter runner landed on me, pushing off pubbie A, who died horribly. elf died horribly doing something stupid that I failed to notice. it was down to me and my friend, and we held out, threw some bombs, and booked it to the elevator, leaving the two pubs hogtied near it to probably live their stupid lives in wretched chattel slavery while we ran away.

that didnt go over well.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
we survived and got nice loot, because we are Owners

i think they got free stuff as well but im willing to accept that not everything can be perfect

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i keep getting trinkets

i dont want these bad trinkets i want weapons :gonk:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
just ran with some actually good pubbies, did some nightmare smuggler's run levels as the soldier with a sword and board.

i was wondering how much of an impact i was really having on the proceedings; you dont really rack up the kills and sometimes feel like you'd be better off with a weapon instead. and then, while waiting in a corner for a gate to come down, i hosed up and went down, and two stormvermin immediately proceeded to send everyone straight to the slam sector

that's the real huge advantage of the shield that ive noticed, compared to other crowd control based weapons; its strong attack is very quick and gives a bunch of rats a good tumble, and its got stamina and all, but its really the only weapon that can control more than one stormvermin near indefinatly. we had times where we got attacked during a horde by four stormvermin at once and came away unscatched since interrupting their swings is very quick and inexpensive stamina-wise.

its a good thing ive got it too since every other loving drop ive been getting is loving one handed maces and bad trinkets

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
:negative: please stop, game

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
The laser staff will stagger him as well, if it hits the head. Smashing him with a shield will do it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
There's three different types of horde events, I think. There's the typical hordes, which give a cue about five seconds before starting and have a build up as the rats spawn a distance away. There's event hordes that come in waves until you complete an objective or complete the map. Ambushes give a short whisper/chatter audio cue and start immediately and spawn pretty much right on top of you, but don't seem to last long.

• Locked thread