Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
e: ^^^ going to guess its not gameplay stuff, moreso loving with the backend to prevent people from screwing with their servers and giving everyone oranges.

I like playing the soldier with the shield/blunderbuss (gently caress you guys saying it sucks, btw; bashing a bunch of rats into a corner with the shield before blowing them all away and beating the few survivors to death with my gun is an activity beyond reproach), but I've been running around as the elf a bit.

I keep getting long swords for her and I just loving suck with them. Maybe if I got a better bow I'd be happier with her but man, she really can't cope with crowds too well, and her sniping abilities just don't match up to someone else with a crossbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Pimpmust posted:

Owners: 70,253 ± 6,934

Steadily going up by 10-20k a day before release. Games apparently on average make about 30% of their sales on pre-orders, so this is looking pretty good. Not sure if it's good enough for their budget though.

thats good. I've gotten to be rather fond of these devs after following their blog and how they've been so open during the beta, so I hope this is a success and cash cow for them.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

850MB feels like a lot for something loving with the backend, but we'll see.

Also the elf's shortbow is trash garbage, it needs a buff and she should start with the longbow.

maybe they read my groundbreaking critique of the gutter runner's design that i posted in the steam forum that all of one person replied to and have already revamped him

that or something else, :iiam:

also i like the quickbow, tbh. its not a sniping tool, its a mid range crowd sweeping tool, which I find helpful since, like I said, I think her crowd control abilities are wanting. her hagbane bow is the most lovely ranged weapon in the game, imo.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 21, 2015

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

CJ posted:

Why is every enemy a rat? That seems like a bizarre direction to go. Who wants to just kill rats over and over? Doesn't Warhammer have lots of different enemy types they can pick from? I played the Warhammer MMO when it came out and i don't remember killing that many rats.

the game is called Vermintide

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

BadLlama posted:

Don't the skaven have some sort of warp flame thrower guy.

yes

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
The elf is a jerk to kruber because kruber kisses the boots of The Man instead of being an emo hippy like her

I cannot respect a creature that insults a well designed sewer system. The mark of a civilizations advancement is how well they can get their own poo poo away from themselves.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

What is the Warhammer god of RNG? I need to thank him/her/it for finally giving me a be staff and turning my basic fire attack into a flaming shotgun blast of awesome.

Nuffle.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Drythe posted:

gently caress the elf

:mrgw:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Night10194 posted:

GW was still REALLY sore Chaos got its rear end kicked in the last big campaign, I guess.

they really were; Archaon aka THE EVERCHAMPION OF ALL CHAOS or whatever gets a lot of moments where he murders people that are considered better characters, in particular dudes that made him look bad during mark of chaos

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
stuff like that is why marking is very important. stormvermin in particular can be corralled and dealt with fairly easily if youre aware of them; where they gently caress you up is when you get blindsided by two that proceed to gut you before you can understand why youre already dead

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
ran through the missions with fellow goons on normal, had a good time. Normal is pretty easy and I'm surprised people can have problems with it; nobody died once during our run through.

Pretty solid missions, though. No really new mission types, though; lots of barrel shifting and chain smashing antics all around.

e: Further "how not to be poo poo" tips; mind your positioning and move around during your attacks. if you're charging an attack, you shouldnt let yourself be in range of your enemies until you swing. Blocking is great, but the best way to not get hit is to not be there.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 24, 2015

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Dezztroy posted:

Was really hoping for a proper boss fight at the end rather than "destroy 4 chain anchors to save the city".

Yeah, same. I also was sad that the grey seer didn't have more screen time overall, like maybe have been a recurring baddie, just because his lines and delivery were so over the top.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i invoke a lovely meme in response to complaints about packmasters

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Dezztroy posted:

What? It takes significantly longer to fire off 4 shots from a repeater than it does 1 from a handgun. Not to mention the repeater is nowhere close to the pinpoint accuracy of the handgun.

Not when you get a 40% spread reduction like my gun does :smuggo:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Gonkish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGwDmDwspFg

Ogre doesn't give a gently caress. Look at that smug fucker.

complete with patronizing elf

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Coolguye posted:

That is REALLY no excuse for thin air rats. Creed doesn't exist until 40k's era, and even then he is human.

Good luck fixing that. L4D2 still has that happen. I remember once ducking in a closet when I heard a sound cue and the entire horde spawned next to me, at once.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

well yeah, you can't stop the horde spawning from monster closets by standing in them. the difference is in left 4 rats specials and rats straight up spawn out of thin air, even in between hordes.

L4D didn't have pre determined monster closet spawns the players could enter. It could, however, get very confused about line of sight and appropriate distance.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

As silly as it is, I always did get a kick out of fifty zombies spawning out of a 2'x2' broom closet

They're just having a good time, don't judge.

Vermintide is a lot worse about spawns popping into existence, which I think is mainly due to this game having a smaller "safe" area that prevents spawning around players, and the spawns seem less inclined to move during a horde: if you turn a corner and stand next to where rats are appearing, it just keeps throwing them in. L4D generally would relocate the spawns, but it also tended to poo poo their hordes into existence over a two or so seconds, while vermintide tries to trickle then in.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
ahaha gently caress me, i nearly managed to drag some pubbies across the loving finish line in the well mission. after barely saving the well with a bomb, a rat ogre showed up and killed everyone because most of them were too loving stupid or stubborn to heal each other and got killed one by one. i proceeded to kill four stormvermin with my 2handed hammer in a 1v4, grab a health kit from a dead player, run away from the rat ogre up a ledge, heal myself with the kit, run away from the ogre until another player appeared, used the flight gained by blocking an ogre strike to have enough space to pick up one of them, get another player up, run to the last player, and then loving die a slow and painful death as the other players gently caress around and the rat ogre corners me in a tiny room until he does enough ground smashes to incap me.

i felt so good too, but it wasnt enough. :smith:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
re: people shittalking the blunderbuss

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Is the blunderbuss a good anti-rogre tool? I mean does just blasting it point blank at target big enough to soak up all the pellets just do a poo poo ton of damage?

Well, not usually, but there's a few things going for me that help.

1. You can mash R during the animation that plays after a shot to skip it and reload faster.
2. I have a 50% faster reload on this gun.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the grey seer shittalks you if you die

BRING ME HIS BEARD

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
lmao gamers are the worst

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Musluk posted:

This is after year 2000's where they blamed Magic and Pokemon for killing their sales.

It's just magical.

It's still great they talked down to one of the most successful gaming franchises ever.

It's like Doctor Who talking trash about Star Wars.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
My favourite dude has to be kruber. He's a nice combination of an ideal soldier gentlemen, combined with being sort of an emotional mess and hiding it behind a stiff upper lip. The latter is kind of subtle until you look at his room and see the combination of little handcrafted crude dolls and copious amounts of alcohol.

He's got a... moment with saltz as well. Went roughly like

:geno: You're thinking about going to try to find your family at your farm, aren't you?
:unsmith: Aye, sir.
:geno: They're all dead, you know.
:smith: I know, sir.
:geno: Don't try to hope, focus your anger on revenge instead, soldier.
:smithicide: Aye, sir.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
It's really just a matter of keeping people calm and together. My best times with it have been either when it gets busted down with strength potion bombs and a group beating, or just when the rat waves are eliminated quickly enough that the ogre can just be managed without anyone getting cornered by it or stuck in a rat pile. It goes south if people split up or if everyone is too caught up in poo poo to keep covering each other.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Oh, and if someone goes down during a rat ogre fight, get them up immediately. Don't try to finish the fucker off with three. One dude down feels manageable, though they'll die on the ground very fast, especially with any grimoires. Two down, and it's probably over already.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
AI tanks in L4D2 were so comically inept, custom maps often just chucked two at once at you in hopes of making them scary. They only got sort of mean on Expert with the whole 1 hit kill, but even then you could kite them for days.

In multiplayer, a tank had to be incredibly careful and rely on other specials or the horde to both keep survivors from kiting and to keep them from hitting the tank, since actually following the games advice to "don't let up the pressure; attack!" could get you killed in literally less than three seconds. It was worse before they nerfed melee damage against it; a sassy black lady with a frying pan could loving wreck the thing 1v1.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I've had bad times with packmasters.

http://imgur.com/a/qG3rP

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Have the orc disguised as a ogre who has the flu, and the skaven has a hat, sunglasses, and fake beard and claims to be a dwarf.

plot twist: the dwarf mistakes the rat for cousin ockry

shamalya twist: the orc is ockry

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
look the arrow has ADD and an urge to kill

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
that is about the only use ive seen for the poison bow. its the best at killing teammates.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
got heroic killing blow on a shield/mace. 3% to kill anything with a charged attack.

killed a rat ogre by smacking it with a shield, around 10 seconds after it appeared.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
to be fair the HKB proc chance being so low even at 3% means that it's kind of useless for the most part and the only other time so far I tried to bop a rat ogre with my shield involved me slapping it about a dozen times ineffectually before getting my face smashed in.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
that just makes you an rear end in a top hat

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Lord Wexia posted:

The voice in this game is hilarious. I love when the dwarf says that line that sounds like, "Holy poo poo!"

Also what are people's opinion on the Stormvermin patrol chant? I hear, "Keep Black" or "Stay Black".

i dont hear anything much at all (its just some "racht/keit" gibberish, but a few of my friends claim its RAT. KING.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I had a few pubbie adventures the other day.

The first is short. I was playing with a friend on wizards tower; at the gate with the different illusions for each character, I was talking poo poo about how the elf just sees trees, when the not-elf pub goes "this is usually a forest".

The next funny thing was a pub playing the Witch Hunter who kept giving orders to me over VOIP, and getting flustered when I deliberately did the opposite. "Soldier come up the tower. No, don't go back out! loving soldiers, man". What made it better was after the first map, where I got around 100 more kills and took 100 less damage than him, he got a lot more sheepish about his orders even though I said nothing to him.
"Um... we can... we can stand here, is that right? There's ammo here, and, I... I think it's alright, is that okay?"

The last thing happened was on White Rat; I died on the barrel event, and so did two others. I appeared in the third area, and when one living pub lagged out, his elf bot teleported next to me. The next pub who joined in was an elf. He picked me up, I wandered over and picked up the other two players, and we went round killing the bell's chains without a single rat appearing on the third floor. The level did not end, so we went back and completed the barrel objective; the trigger to instantly kill all skaven at the end of the level fought with the one trying to force rats to spawn on the second level, resulting in rat corpses flowing out of the walls. The level ended after the barrels were in place. Elf pub had no kills. MLG level strats.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Shield power hit sometimes doesn't stun. Push will always knock them back, though. I prefer the 2h hammer as an anti stormvermin tool for both stunning and killing rather quickly with it's regular swing.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
attack speed up is cool and bloodlust is always welcome, even if it's not a glorious 10% chance to proc weapon

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

And in a miracle Pubbie Run (and one dice short of Hat :() I just got an Orange Repeater for WH with Bloodlust, Knockback and Hail of Doom.

Worth using materials on or stick to by Recovery/Skullcracker Blue Pistols?

bloodlust is always worth trying to get. idk how good the other things are on a repeater, but knockback at least seems like a fun thing on it.

I got 10% chance to heal 10% health on kill on a blue great hammer for the soldier and even though I've got some oranges for him, I can't let it go. Never having to heal is really too useful. Combined with my orange blunderbuss, I don't think I'm bound to get much better swag for the dude for a long while.

e: I also have trinkets that give me faster revives that can't be interrupted. Pretty goddamn useful as well; it pains me when I go down and nobody can save me since they lack such broken trinkets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Level 33

• Locked thread