Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tweet Me Balls posted:

I like hitting the rats with a hammer, but I also like hitting them with a shield. I can't do both at the same time, which is a major design flaw imo.

You can do it if you get a hammer and shield for bardin. It's more like hitting the rats with a hammer and then hitting them with a shield. But it's close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They can absolutely be headshot but it's hard to make out where their head is with their mask. I outright miss them a lot too because some of their outfit and gear don't count as places you can damage.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have a green trinket that gives 30% less damage from gas clouds, anyone know if that applies to the suicide explosion since that's what tends to do a lot of damage to me more than ending up in the gas.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Watched a gas rat and can confirm the hop + fist pump is true.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Its damage also doesn't scale with the color of the rapier so it's kind of pants.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The loot is determinstic and the roll doesn't matter. But if they just called rand() 10 seconds later then that would be nondeterminstic and loot would matter. Programming!

I want to believe this is a troll but realistically I know snatch duster is being 100% serious.

Michaellaneous posted:

All I want to know is how the lootsystem work. Can it scratch that Diablo itch of always getting better numbers?

This is a game about beating up rats with buddies and having a great time doing it. If you're playing it to watch numbers go up then that's a weird thing to want and you're looking at the wrong game. The people in this thread who are most obsessed with loot are consistently the ones most dissatisfied with the game while those who play it to have fun with the gameplay are the ones who enjoy it the most.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

xthetenth posted:

If you enjoy getting cool new stuff as a bonus for beating up rats with friends, the game would likely be fine for that. If you want your play to directly translate to progress on the loot carousel, then I'd probably say consider the gameplay and if that doesn't sell it to you, wait till the FreeLC drops and see if what it does sounds interesting.

Yeah the loot can be cool and it's fun to see what effects you get on your items and take different weapons into missions, but it's definitely just one feature of the game and not the sole point of the game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I somehow just got my first orange when I rolled 6 successes with no grimoires on a hard level, and it's a rapier which is one of my favorite weapons. It has heroic killing blow on it for charge attacks (chance to instakill anything, including roger). It got a 2.5% chance out of a possible 1-3%.

HERE

WE

GO

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The game decided it loved my witch hunter and I am completely okay with that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've gotten very lucky with trinkets. 3 greens and 2 blues by level 27. I'm currently using a 20% chance to not consume a bomb when I throw one, and one that heals me for 15% of my missing health when I heal someone else with a medkit. When I hit level 30 I'll add one that gives a 4% chance to duplicate an item I pick up (which is a pretty low chance but hilarious when I just spit out an extra bomb).

The real awesome thing is that the game has shuffled every single one of my rare drops to characters who aren't the elf. All blues and my 1 orange went to other characters.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There seems to be a bug with the elf's single sword. I have a white one and a blue one in my inventory, and the stats say the blue one does more normal attack damage but less charge attack damage.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have a trinket that gives 20% chance not to spend a bomb when I throw it. It just let me throw the same bomb at a rat ogre 4 times in a row :laffo:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tai posted:

How forgiving is this game in the graphics department? Just wondering if the minimum requirements of the geforce 460 is set in stone or if lowering the graphics would allow my 260 to run it.

On a 560 I need almost everything on low/off with a few things on medium to get decent frame rates. Don't try it with a 260.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just cycle through fun levels having fun beating up rats for their lunch money loot dice instead of playing one level over and over.

Well unless you're looking to get into the Big Ratgame Leagues and want to start playing on the Real Difficulty the Developers Intended as soon as possible, in which case you'd better get grinding, kid.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

smarion2 posted:

I agree its not bad but we literally only play Horn and Wizard Tower because "we need loot!" and those are the only levels I've learned where they are at. I can convince my group to play something else if I figure out where everything is so I figured I would ask for favorites. Engines and Enemy below sounds like a good start.

This channel has a series of videos with all the locations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QML3pMoMUzI

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This is the only post on it I could find that seemed to have done any tests

quote:

I have ruled out the following:

Mechanical Loot.
Ability Proccing.
End of round die rolls.

Could it be the effect is as follows:

Cursed dice (The only item your characters cannot automatically predict is in a chest,) appear more often with luck. I generally always see a single cursed die when every party member admits to having a luck treatment.

Loot Rats are the only enemy that doesn't appear at uniform thresholds in level advancment, or even trigger a fixed portion of the time. Rather, parties that get more loot dice tend to see loot rats 75% of the time. This is something I have tested with 10 minute smugglers runs, so I have given it a lot of shots in determining this.

Livam, if I am correct, I do hope I earn a prize.

A dev responded to the thread saying that luck "Makes you luckier." Which is very dumb that they know about the question and are still going to let people waste time trying to figure it out.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My buddy got a +50% luck trinket and after playing about 6 games tonight it definitely supports the theory that it affects loot dice and sack rats. We were finding a loot die in a chest and a sack rat on almost every level, when I usually don't even see either one on a whole level. correlation is not causality and all that but it's starting to look like more than confirmation bias.

What we are wondering now is, does the person with the trinket have to be the one to open the chest for it to make a difference. So far it doesn't seem like it but it's hard to tell with so few cases.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 19, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've mostly been lazy and just playing public games when I play without friends because I'm lazy and don't want to plug my mic in but I'll make sure to get in group chat when my friends are offline from now on

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I really doubt we're going to see a different group of enemies without a completely new game. An enormous amount of work went into the skaven being the only enemies in the game, from all of their animations to a huge number of character lines to all the design and coding of the enemies themselves (particularly specials). They may add new kinds of rat enemies but I would be amazed if they have the time and resources to make an orkflood expansion. I would like to see some more guys like storm vermin that are big threats but not quite specials, kind of like L4D2's "uncommon common infected"

New player characters also have a pretty big scalability problem where each one means new dialogue for all preexisting characters, unless you just have the old characters conspicuously not acknowledge the presence of the new one, which is shoddy since right now the characters have very good banter and call each other by name. They may add 1 new character but I would be surprised if there are more than that.

New maps and weapons are the pretty obvious choice here, and I'd love to see some more variety in the weapons. A halberd on the witch hunter or sgt would be amazing. Maybe even give it a damage sweet spot where rats too close to you won't be hit by the halberd blade and will take less damage, but sweeps at the perfect range will be devastating.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Let's not get carried awaaaaay :witch:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I got a blue repeater gun for the witch hunter that has absolutely no gunshot sound effect. Just a big flash accompanied by silence. A fitting symbol for its usefulness.

Also had a swarm in garden of morr where we could see the slave rats spawning in one by one right in front of us in a certain spot. Except they were all spawning in dead. One by one they would just appear out of nowhere, a lifeless corpse to add to a growing pile. It was a little surreal.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 21, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I won't have you in my regiment! :colbert:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Somehow, hordes of humans popping out of holes in the ground and running at you in giant ineffectual swarms doesn't seem as fitting

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There's a couple of different places where the tunnel can cave in on the ending run of the enemy below, although it doesn't change much.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I would like to see a bit more variation in the level layouts/objectives themselves, a bit like how payday 2 does it on some heists, but the most important thing really is the combat and if the basic gameplay of slapping rats doesn't do it for you then different levels won't change that.

Have you tried every character a few times? Most players have a few characters or weapons that just don't work for them (probably most who don't like a character feel this way about the elf) so if you've been playing the elf then it's no wonder you're not having fun. I find the witch hunter and sgt way more fun than the rest of the crew myself

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You smack a rat with a giant hammer and its skull detonates and your brain starts flooding with dopamine and then you think, WOAH

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Anytime I try to play the elf I usually have to stop after one game because I hate her so goddamn much and just wish I was someone else every time she says anything. Every single comment including the teammate compliments has to include some dumbass arrogant fake slur. If it was possible I'd look into replacing most of her voice clips with a foghorn, leaving ones with a "lumberfoot" intact except for that word.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Good shot...for a lumberFWEEEEEEEWW :yarg:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's janky but doesn't feel extremely buggy. I'd say the worst of it has to do with the way it spawns enemies, where it can sometimes make rats appear in front of you (I've had this happen with roger two separate times which was terrible and ended both runs). This is bad but it otherwise works pretty well. The AI director sometimes decides that you just aren't going to win this game and throws a ridiculous situation at you but that's not really a bug so much as poor balance. That is also pretty rare when it happens.

Netcode is fine in my experience. Overall it doesn't feel like a polished game at all but it works about as well as it needs to.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Never had trouble playing before and never heard of anyone else having that problem either.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mr. Unlucky posted:

it feels like a huge waste of time cause this item system is terrible and it was one of the initial selling points of the game to begin with and basically the only thing it would have over l4d. the actual rat killing gameplay is janky and the hits feel unsatisfying, l4d was a shooter but somehow still did melee better than a game entirely devoted to it so with the item system being a dud there is pretty much nothing here.

The melee in L4D2 was pressing left mouse and an indeterminate number of zombies somewhere in front of you would fall over. That was the system.

Are you thinking of a different game?

Kitchner posted:

I unlocked an orange crossbow for the witchhunter, but I'm not that fussed. It doesn't 1 shot specials like the handgun, it doesn't fire as fast as the pistols or the bow, and it doesn't have as much ammo as basically anything (I think it has less than the handgun, 23 shots total).

Just don't see the reason to use it over the brace of pistols.

With headshots it will instakill all specials and with bodyshots it will kill some of them, most importantly hook rats. Maybe this changes on cataclysm (I don't really plan on playing that mode so I don't care much how things perform on it) but it can do some seriously good work as a special deleter. It's very hard to use though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I recommend throwing bombs at roger near the bridge

The range on these hook rats is getting out of hand.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Latest adventure with hook rats: Next to the furthest bags on wheat and chaff, one of them appeared on the out-of-bounds rocks that rats jump down from, hooked and immediately planted the wizard while it was still up there. I tried to jump up and there was an invisible wall. So it just uncontrollably instakilled a player because it was allowed to hook someone from an area you physically aren't allowed to go :thumbsup:

They're such a wonderful combination of poo poo design and horrible implementation.

Mzbundifund posted:

I could use some tips for how to use this guy. I've been running with a rapier and a crossbow because they're the highest-levelled things I have on me, both blue. I've gotten ok at not taking damage from random rats, but I'm not 100% clear on what is the best way to kill most efficiently. Should I be using charge attacks on normal rats when there are lots of them around, or is spamming light attacks the better way to go? Is there any use at all for the little pistol that comes with the rapier?

Stab in the head one by one if there is only 1 or 2 rats in range (like clan rats coming single file) and swing while dodging if there's a group

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The hammer should play a bowling pins falling over sound effect when you send 20 rats flying with it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tokubetsu posted:

That feeling when you join a hard 2 grimoire game at the very end (on the way to carriage) & get an achievement and a solid blue out of it.

The other day I hopped into a game so close to the end that the screen was already fading to the victory screen when I loaded in.

I got a white :downsgun:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Even in seemingly lagless environments, sometimes those drat animal control chokers feel a mile long.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Shields have such an incredibly good charge attack that you should probably be using it way more than the shove. The shove comes out faster initially but once you have a chain of charge attacks going, you can just bowl over every single rat in front of you over and over for no stamina cost, while doing pretty noticeable damage at the same time. When a swarm is coming at you in a straight line you pretty much :killdozer: right into them and it's amazing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The smash attack might work off of an AOE on the ground instead of getting physically hit with the fists. I need to try that, it will be awesome if you can avoid that by jumping instead of having to dodge backward and hoping it takes you far enough not to get hit.

As it is I don't do almost any damage to roger when he's after me since that attack makes it too dangerous to get very close. Very annoying when I use my speed potion to try to get an instakill in and he just never leaves me alone, or a bunch of naked mole rats get in the way.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Nothing about fixing the rapier's pistol damage. :(

This was a weird omission since they did change another number on it. Everything that was added looks great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Do trinkets apply to your bots? Like if you have the fish on a character, will your bot of that character have a chance not to use up healing items?

• Locked thread