Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Off work today do decided to be a bad person and buy a key off g2a. Looking forward to trying it out, I absolutely adored L4D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

NeurosisHead posted:

Wait, G2A is selling closed beta access keys?

Yeah, for two euros about

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Played a few matches, the game literally is Wahammer L4D down to the enemy types huh.

Melee combat is pretty fun if a bit floaty with the lighter weapons, but the guns and grenades feel good. Still, not sure what makes it kinda blah for me. It's fun but it doesn't really seem to have that "desperate struggle" feeling that L4D did. Perhaps I just need to play harder maps

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

So what day does the preorder beta start? All this talk in the thread makes me want to punch rats

Friday, I believe

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

sarmhan posted:

I don't see where they said it's the same 3 maps.

The full game is 13 maps by the way

Not sure why they would restrict it a week before release, if you already had people testing the first three maps then why not let people that are already on the hook for the game play and test the rest? Fear of bad reviews?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Skandranon posted:

If the developers treat it that way, it's because the public treats it that way. Just go back a few pages to see people flipping out that there were bugs in the earlier betas.

Yeah people are retarded. The "beta = demo/early access" stuff is pretty hard set anymore. Which is funny because my idea of a beta is the kind of MMO beta where half the quests don't trigger and you tend to clip through the map and fall into the skybox.

Still, at least they find the bugs. At least let them into the new levels

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Skandranon posted:

I think they will. What I think they are doing is getting everyone who pre-ordered (which is a lot) up and running on the first few maps. Then over the next 7 days, they can unlock 1-2 maps/day, and people should rush into each one in a fairly predictable manner, giving better test results.

Full game is quoted as 20gb in minimum specs, so the 14 we are seeing now isn't all of it either.

Would make sense. So what you are saying is that I should preorder on Thursday :v:

VVV Just making a joke.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 16, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Getting hordes while standing right next to an ammo box as a witch hunter is a Very Good Thing

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kamikaze Raider posted:

They take up slots that could be filled with healing items/potions while doing nothing in game. They give you extra loot dice at the end of a level.

It kind of makes me laugh how people in the beta are frothing at the teeth for the tomes while barely making it through the level alive (or not at all) all for the sake of loot that will be gone in a week

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Unless I misread it, they said your beta progress will transfer to retail. Unless it meant old beta to this.

I was referring to people doing that in the old beta that ended yesterday, that I believe they explicitly said would not carry over. This new preorder beta I have no idea, I guess it does carry over

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

I just played a few games with pubbies and while I was able to get through the Horn of Magnus and sewer level just fine, they can not seem to grasp the idea of the grain level. As soon as we get to the sacks they split off thinking they'll just grab a sack each and get done with it quick. It's obvious that the idea is to stay together while transporting one, maybe two sacks at a time back to cart. Nope.

They also seem to love fighting rat ogres inside of houses for some reason. This is a bad idea. Do not do this.

Probably another case of L4D memory seepage; the best way to gather gas cans was to just split off into pairs and go hunting.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Donnerberg posted:

I tried the Empire guy with a sword and board. The combat feels loose on first impression. Like a slash just kind of hits everything on screen with a very forgiving range, and the push seems to go way out. Is it like Chivarly where you do more damage based on where within your swing the hit connects?

Some guy was talking about dice a lot too. Kept asking if we were getting them when he picked them up. No idea what he meant, but the end of mission screen said something about bonus dice so I guess we got them too. Should I be looking for dice too or let other dudes worry about that?

This might help, makes sense to me

Essentially you can get a few things during a mission that increase your odds at the end, which are represented on the dice screen as suns under the success ratio. The tome and cursed dice replace your six regular dice, the grimoires add an additional die that will always hit.

- Regular dice get 2/6 chance to land, get six of these by default

- Cursed die gets 3/6 chance to land, found in missions, takes up no space in inventory

- Tome dies are 4/6 to land, 3 per mission, takes up your health slot but can be freely dropped and picked back up again.

- Grimoire dice (2 per mission) always land (6/6 chance) and do not replace a die on the board, meaning you always get a one point upgrade on your rolls. That being said, the grims replace your potion slot, will be destroyed if they are dropped, and reduce the health of the entire team by a third. That means that getting two grims gives you a much better chance at getting something good but you will have only a tiny sliver of health left.

For the record, the only way to get to the blues on the top of the stack is for all six dies to hit as well as the two bonus grim dice. So it's a hell of a time.

Tokubetsu posted:

IIRC, some goon said the higher or highest difficulty has friendly fire

God help us

Also this: Only three maps, not sure if they are going to expand it but not likely

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 16, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Careful with Grims though. They are super tempting, but let's not forget that pubbies are generally both bad players as well as bad people, and you get nothing but regret if you fail the mission.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I dont know posted:

This is important, generally you want to evaluate how everyone else is playing before going for a grimoire. The penalties are pretty steep, and if your allies are bad you are probably better off just skipping them.

God help you if you try and convince your pub team to skip them though, because there will always be Mr. MLG that will -insist- on taking it right before he tries to facetank an ogre without blocking.

E. Interestingly, Steam currently only has achievements for collecting all the tomes on six maps, not twelve or whatever it is.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 17, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

fadam posted:

Can I buy into the beta now or am I too late?

You can still buy in if you buy the full game

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It's kinda funny what adrenaline will do to you in this game. Put me in the middle of a horde and I am a block-dodge-slash whirlwind. But then I come across some random rat and completely gently caress up, letting in a free hit

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Trilin posted:

Game is a blast, currently topping the steam charts. I personally hope that fatshark find other ways to make the game fresh and exciting than to introduce yet another skill-tree-level-up deal.

Thank god. The AI is somewhat retarded so I was worried that it wouldn't really build a community. Thankfully that doesn't seem to be the case.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Drythe posted:

God they are so good at area control and single targeted damage.

Really the bright wizard's only drawback is the incredibly slow heat drain that you get above 25%. Yeah she can really burst it out if she has to but you better take a breather and an ice pack afterwards if you don't want to walk into the next battle on fire. Versus someone like the witch hunter, who has limited ammo but can burst fire continuously without consequence but will run out ammo.

Unless you are next to an ammo box, in which case call me Machine Gun Larry :getin:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Dravs posted:

When you start looking at some of the decisions GW has made in general it's not surprising at all. It's like they're allergic to money.

Not allergic enough to not charge $60 for a plastic molded figurine

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Drythe posted:

Those elements exist in L4D, you are supposed to check and make sure everyone is moving as one. Kind of like getting smokered on drops and poo poo.

And smokers are worse because they can drag you away from the edge, and appear out of nowhere due to their ranged attack. Packmasters are the same but you can see them coming, while Runners can suddenly pounce but will keep you in a shooting range of your allies if you weren't way behind anyways

Also smokers were really gross

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Please tell me that you made it out okay and the "satisfaction of working as a team" facetanking pubbie ragequit before the rolls for no reason

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mr Beens posted:

Great game , still learning the ropes.
Does this have a "black and white mode" after x downs that is reset by heal, like in LFD.
Basically is the strategy the same as LFD in that you shouldn't use heals until you have been knocked down a few times (unless there is a restock nearby) or should you keep your health topped up?

Basically you have "real health" normally til you get knocked down. Someone picks you up and you get grey heath that slowly bleeds out until you are healed, at which point it turns to real heath.

So the best is to wait til you drop then immediately heal so that you get the bonus grey health on top of the regular healing

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

McGavin posted:

This requires someone to actually pick you up, which isn't always a given when you're playing with pubs.

I was assuming best case team scenario in the same vein of waiting til you turn grey in L4D

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

So, I don't have any framerate or graphics issues, I'm just bogged down with load times so long that sometimes it just hangs on a black screen.
Is this common or a hiccup on my particular hardware.

I get the same thing to the point of Windows freezing out the screen, I think the loads are just really crappy

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Man, they must have done something to something because Hard is now HARD. Our group had two lower level guys including myself, but we still just got bombarded with special after special

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I do wish that the weapon drops were more side grades than straight upgrades. It's a minor thing, and I get why they did it this way, but I liked how with L4D you could theoretically jump right into expert mode and be hampered by nothing more than luck and your own skill. It is a -terrible- idea to do so, but you can

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 20, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Skandranon posted:

Just had a sewer run where I managed to literally knock the rat ogre through the map geometry with a grenade. He was stuck and screamed at us the entire run.

Not to mention that it caused all of the random horde spawns in the middle of the level to just not happen. It was good

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Al Borland posted:

So whats with every rear end in a top hat in existence kicking people that join their games?

How do I host so retards can't do this?

You can queue up and hope not to be automatched to someone, giving you host.

Or just play with goons, you madman.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

dogstile posted:

Posting this because its dumb and i'm kind of laughing at myself.

My CPU fan had died so my CPU set its clock rate way down to try and deal with it. I've fixed the fan and set it back up and the game runs fine now. My bad, game is fun.

We all do it, friend. I once had a laptop that would automatically disable the high end graphics card if it was on battery (Alienware, yes I know, I was young) that had to be re-enabled in BIOS, so I spent a week unintentionally trying to overclock my integrated, lovely card so I could run MW3. Computers are dumb.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

rezatahs posted:

Bone hat best hat.

It Warhammer, somewhere in the setting there is a group of dwarves trying to figure out how they can decorate a skull with other skulls

E. Can someone explain in more detail what happened to the setting? People are saying it blew up but I thought they just meant that GW wasn't supporting it anymore. They actually entirely redid Fantasy?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Wow, that all sure is... something :stare:

I get that they wanted to end the series, but why start over and make all these insane changes rather than just dumping it entirely and focusing on 40k? It just doesn't make any sense, just keep selling the old stuff rather than some insane redesign

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Anyone who's into Warhammer video games but isn't especially familiar with Games Workshop as a company, if it wasn't already clear by what's been said in here so far how utterly terrible and nonsensical they are is a deep rabbit hole to go down. They're great IPs owned by one of the worst companies in existence.

It really is awful, because the setting itself is ridiculously fun when you take it as how it is intended, aka a weird fun satire with comically over the top everything.

I can't wait until I can start pirating the figurines with a 3d printer so they will finally drop the prices below twenty bucks for a space marine

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Deviant posted:

This game is kinda neat.

Except that I got screamed at in all caps and votekicked in my first game for not understanding whatever dumb exploit the pubbie wanted me to use "STAND ON THE loving HORN". gently caress you, and the horse you rode in on, sir.

I have 300 hours in payday, I know better than to touch the stove. :sigh:

Wasn't that patched anyways?

Related, I get the appeal of exploits for the sake of getting gear but I swear there is a large set of the player base that has never actually played the last part of the Horn level. I get that it is hard, but it is still fun

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah, the rats still spawn fine and you have to have had the foresight to bring a speed potion (of which there doesn't seem to be as many compared to the strength pots, at least as I have seen), best you get out of it is a funnel and unlimited ammo. If they wanted to "fix" it then they could easily put the ammo box further down the tower.

But yeah straight up pathing exploits are dumb. "I beat Horn on nightmare!" No you didn't you stupid liar.

E. Especially as people above have said, exploits kinda are an "all or nothing" thing and unless you are premade there is generally going to be at least one person who actually wants to play the game. At least that is how it was for L4D every time someone wanted to be dumb and cheese it

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Guy with shield halfway on the stairs can keep them clear more or less forever, at least on hard, leaving three guys to snipe specials/defend from the rats dropping. It's not ridiculously hard.

EDIT: I understand that two Gunners and three Stormvermin dropping at once are going to ruin anyone's day. I mena on normal circumstances.

It's not ridiculously hard and you can use that fairly easy method to get through it, but at least you are in the thick of it rather than trying to mess with the pathing. At least it is fun, in other words.

BadLlama posted:

If Fatshark can make a 40K version of this, we better be loving Imperial Guard and not lame rear end loving spacemarines.

I really want some kind of IG focused game, just regular troops squaring off against insane cosmic horrors.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

thejacob posted:

I want your RNG.

As for those who love to touch the stove, you are missing a very simple solution to your problem with them grabbing the grims. Pick it up first and spike it. Problem solved. Bonus points if you can down a pubbie at low health when you grab it.

Not a bad idea but have to do it now before they catch on.

"Oh hey guys the grim didn't spawn it's the weirdest thing buggy new release games am I right"

Also given what happened to L4D and Payday, how long until the Vermintide community turns toxic? Three, four days after release?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Musluk posted:

There needs to be a shout/challenge/roar button.

There is, it's called your VOIP keybind :black101:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yep, sounds exactly like the Inquisition. Someone has a weird lump in their head? Exterminatus the whole planet

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

BombiTheZombie posted:

Game wont be up until sometime tomorrow. The devs gave up and went home since they couldnt figure out the problem.

http://forums.fatsharkgames.com/discussion/2004/so-when-will-the-servers-be-online#latest

Disappointing, but I like a dev that just admits that they've worked til dawn and just want to sleep. We've all had those days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Skandranon posted:

The Public Beta servers went offline for a few hours? *faints*

Excuse me I am a mature and experienced gamer so I must discuss my opinions of the beta from the perspective of a professional reviewer by which I mean lovely streamer fnar fnar

• Locked thread