Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Drythe posted:

I think VS for at least one map would be key, since it was fine on L4D. Most people just did No Mercy anyways

The reason for this was because Blood Harvest was a much higher curve in difficulty to play as the infected. The openness of BH made it so that you had to have knowledge about the map, attack points, and when or where to coordinate your attack.

No Mercy on the other hand had a lot of corners, closets, and blocked sight lines to spawn as the aliens.

But I digress. Seeing Vermintide immediately brought back memories of L4D to me. Even more exciting is the price point because I was sure this was a $60 game because new game prices. At $30 it's a much easier price to swallow despite having a million games to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dezztroy posted:

Hard isn't much harder than Normal as long as everyone has gotten used to the combat. Blocking is required on Hard to avoid wasting huge amounts of health.

I wish people would catch on to healing potions being much more effective if used right after being revived, since it turns your temporary health into permanent health. Meaning you end up with almost full health.

drat are you making GBS threads me? That isn't explained anywhere and I figure most people would assume it's like L4D in that it's just your temp health or pills.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
Not going to even joke around that what attracted me to this game was that it looked like Left 4 Warhams.

Playing with goons has been very good. Pubs on the other hand have been pretty amazing in a bad way. Played with a pub Bright Wiz who was at something around 80% and burned all the way into the red by dumping fire at a pack. Never again. Joining that Goonintide and playing with goons from CTS Mumble from now on.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've got both blue and green vials. Blue says 33% reduction to duration. Green doesn't say anything about duration.

I didn't do any real testing to see how long they had lasted but I put the green on because descriptions.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't think it's possible to speed jump the horn anymore. At least from what I can tell visually when using a speed potion and jumping. It looks like your horizontal movement speed is no longer boosted. I haven't done any hard math but it just seems to be that way from getting a lot of powdered cheese.

The glut of piss poor pubbies likely stems from too much powdered cheese. They're level whatever and have gear but no clue on the finer mechanics of the game. Probably one of the biggest mistakes you can make in this game is always trying to swing first and I'm still guilty of doing it. Many times you get hit by that rat with the wind up attack running at you and there goes a chunk of your health.

To keep elaborating on the subject of cheese I don't mind cheesing the horn but it is getting a tad boring. I'm not sure there is a real way to stop it besides making it like L4D where all survivors had to be in the event area to start it.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Metos posted:

In other news, does anyone know what the '4percent chance to apply a deadly poison' trinket actually does? Ie, is it just the elf poison or is it a deadly as in murder instantly poison? Maybe just a huge sharp DOT that fades very quickly? No idea!

I have one of these as well. Never tried it because it is dubiously worded. Yet I use the luck trinket. The wording for the drat thing just leaves me going "uuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Zhulik posted:

Someone posted some code snippets a week or so back, and all it does is affect cursed loot dice. The base chance is 5% when opening a chest, affected in some way by # chests remaining on the map. Having an orange trinket bumps the chance up to 10% iirc.

As with anything else on the internet, take it with a grain of salt.

God if it just really only makes your chance of loot dice higher then it's garbage. There are much more beneficial things that you can bring to help the team since dice mean poo poo if you ain't winning.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
The devs did mention on Twitter that they were "evolving" the loot system. What ever the gently caress that means.

I agree though that the loot needs to be reworked for people not to just cheese whatever they can. Since L4D was broken into stages you were never really that far away if you'd died.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
There is also the issue of hard collisions in which a rat blocks your path because the game says he is/will be there.

Sorry guys, I guess I'll miss this jump and die because a loving non-existent rat who is still climbing up got in my way!

By the way a lot of people seem confused when I mention hard and soft collisions. A soft collision is when you can run into or through the space another thing is occupying such as your teammates. The game is quite aggressive in moving you out of people's spaces so that you can't just back into a corner and shiva stack the poo poo out of everything like you could in L4D.

A hard collision is like a rat. You can't walk through them at all. Like L4D you need to kill or push whatever is blocking your movement.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Skandranon posted:

Next time, just rush forward and grab a Tome and Grimoire. Then they can't make you a sacrifice. Then when you 'accidentally' jump down after their sacrifice, they'll have no choice but to follow you.

Well especially with a grimoire and that first one on Horn is an easy as hell grab.

Again this brings up the whole loot thing again and people not willing risk it. Pretty lovely to ask the new guy to gently caress off and die for everyone else's sake though.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
That usually means their servers are down and since there's no play offline mode, you're boned.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Microwaves Mom posted:

Levels were called into question repeatedly with smugness.

Sounds you ran into the Git Gud Crew. Did you git gud? No? Try running powdered cheese a thousand times first. No I've got oranges I know I'm gud.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
if you lose on cata you get permabanned from the something awful forums

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't even know what drake fires look like on the board. The one time I thought I got drake fires they were, I believe, the brace of pistols for the WH.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
Good times from around release https://youtu.be/VuqQeDPQKdc

I just need to be not lazy about converting these other videos into something more manageable than a 1GB clip.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Backhand posted:

On that note, I discovered a few nights ago that if you throw a grenade at the exact instant Roger bitchslaps you, the grenade goes out but isn't removed from your inventory.

Never mentioned it before because it's clearly a bug, and definitely not worth giving Roger a free hit,. though.

It happens here in a video I posted before everyone started having an orgasm again arguing with Snatch Duster.

https://youtu.be/VuqQeDPQKdc

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gestalt Intellect posted:

My buddy got a +50% luck trinket and after playing about 6 games tonight it definitely supports the theory that it affects loot dice and sack rats. We were finding a loot die in a chest and a sack rat on almost every level, when I usually don't even see either one on a whole level. correlation is not causality and all that but it's starting to look like more than confirmation bias.

What we are wondering now is, does the person with the trinket have to be the one to open the chest for it to make a difference. So far it doesn't seem like it but it's hard to tell with so few cases.

I doubt it. I believe items are chests are spawned when the level begins. Sometimes you'll see items clip outside the chest.

I'm also under the assumption that the luck trinket only affects loot dice. Running powdered cheese with, I believe, +150% luck we found loot dice quite often. It's hard to tell whether or not it has an effect on actual loot such as potions, bombs, or healing items since sometimes the game showers you with stuff and other times it's stingier than hell. I've since removed the luck trinket in favor of something that helps me or the team out.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
Precisely that. Don't go for blocks or shoves, use your charge attack. The charge attack deals damage and it has the added benefit of making rats fall or stumble so even better.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I see it's not just me who thought globadiers were already ridiculous.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Why can nobody who plays this game pronounce tome correctly? You say it exactly how it loving looks

... too-me? Nah just kidding. It's obviously pronounced tawm-ee like the name Tommy.

That brings up healing droughts.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's "draught"

Did you hear that? It passed right over you.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
I mostly hear people say drought and drot. And I correct them every time.

But as far as the rerolling of item traits go it does really blow. If you have enough resources it's no problem but you have to reroll every trait even if you have just one dumb thing you want to get off of your item. It's a loving lottery on top of an item lottery.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Skandranon posted:

Have you never played a GW game?

Nope!

I think the lore is cool after I started playing WH40K: Dawn of War but growing up I was always confused with these Games Workshop stores. I mean, what is this poo poo? You're called Games Workshop so where are the games?

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
It always stumps me a bit when I go "Alright the tome is right here" and everyone else tells me "What tome?". I feel like an old geezer who has had things switched up on him and I keep on going "WELL BACK IN MY DAY".

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Up Circle posted:

sounds like you need to work on your own awareness

:drat: SNATCH DUSTED.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
The window? I am not familiar with this. The last time I've done horn we've hung out with our asses into the wall at the bottom of the stairs. If that's the window then I can't even recall seeing one there :v:

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lunethex posted:

The nerfed the gas rat trinket because gently caress you, too.

What? Why? Christ as if they aren't bad enough when they catch you at a bad time.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lunethex posted:

Because it was ~so OP~

So dumb. The balance is that you're giving up a slot for a single purpose. And that gas on Cataclysm is outright insane.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Present posted:

a lvl 554 elf.

Yes, 554.

I'm sorry, what?

:psypop:

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lunethex posted:

Only have to look at the Steam forum to see the three assholes responsible for the latest in this too, because the devs only listen to them for some reason. Every nerf and bad change has been their suggestion.

Ah the good ol vocal minority approach. Because if they can appease the people who complain the loudest then everyone will be happy right?

Or you get a game where only the hardest of the hardcore enjoy.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

xthetenth posted:

averox posted:

Or you get snatch dusted.

:shittypop:

How soon I've forgotten.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's honestly a very fair price but at the same time you're paying $3 for a horde mode all the while we're waiting for some real rear end content and they're making a horde mode and console ports.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wait I'm a little confused. Is The Fall just a last stand map and by default there is another last stand map included in the base update to the game for free?

Ok cool. My confusion lies on assuming that the horde mode was DLC only.
VVVVVVV

averox fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

L4D2 flashbacks...

Except L4D2 was good?

• Locked thread