Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Arcanen posted:

I don't know if it's the anime's pacing, or the reality of a 5 set match meaning that Karasuno have to be winning a bunch of sets, but... Shiratorizawa kind of suck?

We have an entire season of this match, and yeah, they just don't seem all that the have been made out to be, and it feels like a big part of that is the editing. Ushiwaka was made out to be an absolute monster, but since (as of halfway through the season) he never really talks or gives as a narrated POV (which is bizarre, since we keep getting them for the rest of Shiratorizawa) I'm not really feeling the impact of that.

Regarding the flashback at the beginning, it's kind of odd. Mainly because it makes Coach Ukai seem like a gigantic rear end in a top hat who completely abandoned Karasuno, only to be paying attention again now that they are winning under the tutelage of someone else. He has his volleyball training center thing, so it's not like he got too old to do the job? I wish we had some context after 3 seasons for why he left.

It's also kind of odd that people are like "Woah, whoa, who are these Karasuno people that are good?!". Wouldn't playing in (winning?) nationals be something that impacted Karasuno's reputation among the characters in this series?

We'll be getting some time with Ushiwaka coming up but he doesn't really have the same kind of motivations as, say, Oikawa. I think a part of why Karasuno are doing so well is that they're actually a good match up for Shiratorizawa, unlike Seijoh or Nekoma who are a bad match up for them. They're both very offensively focused teams.

Ukai the elder left his coaching position because he was ill and spent a year or two in hospital. They talk about this all the time in the first series. He was originally planning to come back but was never really fit enough to make it full time. Ennoshita and co talk about when he came back just for a little while and they quit the club. When Ukai the younger takes Hinata to meet him he asks if he's supposed to be up and moving around since he's just got back out of the hospital. I don't know how you've missed all this.

Also, Karasuno never won nationals. When the Nekoma rivalry comes up they talk about the year both of them made it to nationals and Karasuno got knocked out in the third round and Nekoma got knocked out in the fourth.

Interestingly, it seems that the year Karasuno won the prelims and went to nationals Shiratorizawa lost to a different team before the finals since Karasuno have never beaten them. No idea who. Also, Shiratorizawa have never won nationals under Washijo despite qualifying pretty much twice a year for 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Shiratorizawa is the Golden State Warriors and they're gonna blow a 2-1 lead.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

devtesla posted:

Shiratorizawa is the Golden State Warriors and they're gonna blow a 2-1 lead.

Niiice duuuunk Ste-phen Cur-ry!
(bomp-bomp-bomp) Stephen Curry!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Arcanen posted:

I don't know if it's the anime's pacing, or the reality of a 5 set match meaning that Karasuno have to be winning a bunch of sets, but... Shiratorizawa kind of suck?

We have an entire season of this match, and yeah, they just don't seem all that the have been made out to be, and it feels like a big part of that is the editing. Ushiwaka was made out to be an absolute monster, but since (as of halfway through the season) he never really talks or gives as a narrated POV (which is bizarre, since we keep getting them for the rest of Shiratorizawa) I'm not really feeling the impact of that.

Regarding the flashback at the beginning, it's kind of odd. Mainly because it makes Coach Ukai seem like a gigantic rear end in a top hat who completely abandoned Karasuno, only to be paying attention again now that they are winning under the tutelage of someone else. He has his volleyball training center thing, so it's not like he got too old to do the job? I wish we had some context after 3 seasons for why he left.

It's also kind of odd that people are like "Woah, whoa, who are these Karasuno people that are good?!". Wouldn't playing in (winning?) nationals be something that impacted Karasuno's reputation among the characters in this series?

tbf, if this was a traditional 3 set match Shiratorizawa would have already won. And the 1st set Karasuno won they were at a deuce up until point 30. Which is pretty crazy.

But yeah, as others have said the Ukai thing has already been explained. Dude had to leave the team like 4-5 years ago or whatever due to illness, came back for like a month the previous year when Tanaka and Noya were 1st years and then was forced to retire again. Presumably his thing now where he's sorta giving tips to a few people rather than training a whole team is less stressful for him and something he can do without worrying about his health.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Niiice duuuunk Ste-phen Cur-ry!

http://i.imgur.com/qf392pC.gifv

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Seemed I managed to forget the Ukai stuff, my bad.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Check this out: Number of high school students in school volleyball clubs. 2012 is when the Haikyuu manga started.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Good

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

That's neat! Can't help but wonder if they knew volleyball was on a decline.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Awww man, I'm behind on my unnecessary Haikyuu!! effortposting, and I didn't even have gifs made.

Arcanen posted:

Aaaha, as I've been the one praising the editing so far, I feel like I gotta say something. You're probably right!

To be honest, part of me praising the editing has been me consciously trying to avoid being spoiled by Jojo Anime Faithfully Recreates Another Beloved Manga Panel On Fridays. Actually, like Jojo, time stops in Haikyuu!! when people explain what's going on and their mental reactions, but unlike Jojo, Haikyuu!! is still mostly comprehensible without it and in this cour the anime has favored expediency over faithfulness (rip panels in my last post and now also Coach Ukai finger guns).

Part of the impact being lost, I think, may be how the anime has been ending mid-chapter consistently. Take having to wait a week after this

compared to "okay that happens and here's the next play." It's not that the manga chapters necessarily end on notes like that all the time, but they frequently end on player substitutions or 'how are they gonna be able to pull ahead of the Shiratorizawa machine' notes. Nishinoya receiving Ushiwaka's ball with a "and I absolutely can't keep losing!" and Kageyama's "I only know despair when there is no volleyball" :unsmigghh: come to mind as chapter enders.

There's also the usual lost-in-translation difference between manga and anime, like. Look at that spread. Look at those quads and shirabu's tiny face of wonderment. At the end of the day, I think we can all agree that's the most important. Does he need more development

Well, alright, we know Ushijima is a little :spergin: and he's fixated on Hinata because "incapable midgets have no right to exist" (*paraphrased) which we kinda knew going into this game--but everyone else on Shiratorizawa is new. So in the first third or so of the match, as we are introduced to all the other players and they get their own times to shine, Ushiwaka has mostly served the following function:

(His presence is also reinforced by cute chapter openings that remind us he's still the Big Bad even if he's been sharing the spotlight

but that's neither here nor there)

And okay actually before I move on, also look how Shiratorizawa's chants bleeds over Karasuno's side. A change the anime made--had to make, really--is that the chants for Shiratorizawa are supposed to be deafening, I mean have you ever been in an indoor stadium with people pounding on drums during a sporting event that poo poo is deafening, but another change they've made has been to make Karasuno seem more... equal? The anime basically tripled to quadrupled the support in the stands for Karasuno, and the pace of the game sometimes reflects this as well. For example, in episode 06, Karasuno escapes Shiratorizawa's match point by Tsukki's and Kageyama's successful block, tying them at 26-26. Then Hinata spikes a block out, making them 27-26. ...Then Hinata spikes Kageyama's short toss with his left hand and wins Karasuno the set 29-27. In the manga, we see those missing points, which included Oohira (benkei guy) both receiving and kill spiking the ball while mentally disdaining Sugawara's attempts to shake them up, and also him serving a net-in toss that Nishinoya saved. There's much more a sense of "karasuno is definitely the underdog and they are definitely eking out the points" this way, even if the rallies going on forever is more exhuasting. (Think about how many episodes we have left. Then think about how many sets in the game we have left. They're either gonna start matching the manga or this ain't endin on the shiratorizawa match)

All that being said, the second third of the match has been shaping up to be basically this

so yeah, Ushiwaka'll come back into the spotlight a bit more and he'll get his due development.

That's also why Kageyama faltering this episode is such an "ohhh, poo poo" moment. As one of the three pillars withstanding Shiratorizawa--from Tsukki directing the ball to Noya receiving it for Kags setting up the counterattack--kageyama's crumbling. Since one of the underlying themes that's started in this arc is the pressure on setters, I hope that sense was able to come through even without a lot of the buildup. I remember how struck I was by the realization that Kageyama's creepy precision may have had a cost. (y'know, besides his personality)

But honestly they gave us megane Oikawa like 15 chapters early so I ain't complain' about nuthin

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think another thing that makes Shiratorizawa seem less impressive than say Seijoh, is that just by nature of them being the "most imperfect" team in the tournament a lot of their points mainly come down due to the ability of a single player. There major points aren't really big combination plays or a huge struggle to finally just outwit or outplay Karasuno, it's going to be Ushiwaka hitting a perfect spike that feels like it's just about impossible to stop. It's going to be Tendou getting a perfect block out of nowhere that just can't be predicted or played around.

It almost feels like it's a certainty that sometimes these guys are just going to get a point because when it comes to sheer ability or strength, Ushijima at least is the best drat player in the series. And in a way that makes the team as a whole seem less impressive, because many of the points they do score are rather simple in the grand scheme of things. Especially compared to the crazy plays Karasuno always makes.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
That was a good big post

Also, I think its important to keep in mind that Ushijima's nickname is Big Boy

:3:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ushijima with the most straightforward and simple backstory to compliment him being probably the most straightforward and simple character in the series. Though honestly it works for him. That small bit of backstory we got from him pretty much explains every aspect of his character other than his dislike of Hinata, even stuff like his problems with Oikawa.

Also, Tendou is sorta a scary guy.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
THIS
ACE
IS ON
FIIYAAAAAA

Preeeetty sure this is the happiest we see Wakatoshi, noted simple farmer and Big Boy. Because that is true and a very good point Knorth. There are no bad boys in Haikyuu!!. There are only good boys, and soon-to-be good boys.

also shoutout to my angry birb tobio who can only do things furiously

I am so glad they kept that

also shoutout to furudate for drawing the best faces and the anime for lovingly adapting them and also to Tsukishima's voice actor nailing that inner monologue

and also for oikawa and iwaizumi doin their elevated old men commentary routine

also back to tobio
I love how an episode ago two episodes ago he was all "yeah I can do [something with you tsukishima which I've never done before], can you"

:allears:

I knew it was impossible for them to end on this even though I really hoped they would so I just want y'all to know having to wait to see what happened suuuuuuuccckked

Furthermore,

Mob Tendou

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

lol :3:

jesus gently caress this set is going to kill me

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

The smugest smug

linall
Feb 1, 2007

This post is actually super cool. It's exciting to see how much detail is pulled right out of the manga. Thanks for the effort.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

VostokProgram posted:

We are watching the first five episodes of Haikyuu season 2, right now!

https://www.cytu.be/r/sugita

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

linall posted:

This post is actually super cool. It's exciting to see how much detail is pulled right out of the manga. Thanks for the effort.

:agreed:

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

linall posted:

:kimchi:

oh, whoops

my hand slipped

oh, that reminds me, I forgot to share these earlier.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Holy crap, awesome!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

E-flat posted:

oh, that reminds me, I forgot to share these earlier.

I love all the Ennoshita movie parodies. :allears:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ushijima really just doesn't like Hinata. Most emotion he's shown all series. On that note, it's cool that so far the only people who have outright blocked Ushijima's spikes, are Karasuno's two main middle blockers. It shows that they deserve their position, even Hinata who's never really been mentioned for his blocks until this match.

Also, I was kinda hoping next episode would be titled Midday Moon, because that was a really hype chapter title when I first read through this match in the manga. But I guess that would make what is presumably the final episode of the game mostly about Tsuki and Hinata rather than the whole team.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I just died, argh what an incredible match I was on the edge of my seat this entire episode. Gunna be a big one next week :tem: :ohdear:

Hawke
May 1, 2008
drat it that episode was so good, next Friday can't come soon enough.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Maaaaaaan, I don't have time to make my usual kinda post until later, but man ohh maaann they did a great job with yesterday's episode. They reproduced so much poo poo beautifully!

Kinda wish though they didn't have this weird montage after Hinata and Kageyama's score brought them up to behind by a point (9-8) in which Ushijima, then Daichi, then Kawanishi scored, because that makes no loving sense in light of the fact that they immediately show the scoreboard then being 10-8. :raise: ...Did.... did they forget those last two points happened after Shiratorizawa reached 10-8? That Semi gets subbed in when the score is 11-9? Wonder if that's gonna get fixed for the blu-rays :v:

And, sorry, this was kinda disingenuous. The whole reason I came here to post was actually chapter 232. I know this is the anime thread, but I know I'm not the only one reading the manga and there's not enough of us to justify a separate thread--there's practically barely enough of us to justify a haikyuu thread in general--so I'll be brief about this last chapter but AAAHHH SHIMIZU!!! THAT JUMP SHIMIZU!! Oh my god, Shimizu!!! :3: "I may not stand on the court... I may not wear the uniform... But, right now, at this very moment... I stand with them on the front line of the battlefield" YOU GUYS I'M SHIMIZU. WE'RE ALL SHIMIZU :cry:

Actually, haha, I just noticed. How Kageyama admonishes someone this episode about his block/receive getting in the way of a follow-up. Well now don't that sound familiar. (highly oblique manga spoiler)

also, I'm a bit sad they cut ushijima's grumpface here

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I love all the Ennoshita movie parodies. :allears:
seriously hes got a poo poo casting director tho poor asahi, don't typecast him man

ok now this is starting to get my normal length my bad

edit:
sorry but before I go yeah y'all better believe that match point was a chapter ender

I'm glad they didn't change Washijou-sensei's flashback around. They've done that for everyone else, as if they fear we would have forgotten them by the time their relevance reaches its peak, and it's led to some weird situations like how we don't get to know why it's so badass that Daichi resolutely declares they won't let that old guy say 'Karasuno are flightless crows' anymore before the match because they moved that flashback to be after that, so good on them leaving this one as is. After all, there are no bad boys in Haikyuu.

but there can be sad boys. :smith:

ok now eflat out.

E-flat fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 27, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

What the Hell!! You're not allowed to cut the episode there!!!!!!

Also, Ushijima's smile was better in the manga. :(

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Excellent episode, but god that felt weird to watch at times.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
You gotta be loving kidding me with that cliffhanger.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

When people said Coach Ukai's voice actor died, I thought they were referring to the old Coach Ukai.

:(

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
That episode was exhilarating and gorgeous, and I may have yelled at the tv when it ended

whoa

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Ahhh, I forgot to post this before today

Hinata commenting that Kageyama and Ushiwaka being similar was really on the point. Not only are both :spergin: in addition to/probably because they are prodigiously skilled, but they both (started out) being personally offended at Hinata's existence. I think Kageyama sums it up best this arc: His serves and receives are terrible, and his set-ups and blocks are varying levels of mediocre. So why do you think he's on the court? Obviously, it's to score points!!!

Dunban posted:

You gotta be loving kidding me with that cliffhanger.
Now you kids understand the pain of the manga cliffhangers this whole time! :bahgawd:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also, Ushijima's smile was better in the manga. :(

If Kageyama is the king, and Oikawa is the grand king, the Ushijima is the god-king.

Yeah, some of the faces I wished were a skosh more intense

Anyway, speaking of Oikawa

Wasn't I speaking of Oikawa?

anytime I am not speaking of Oikawa I should be speaking of Oikawa.

This is when got to see megane oikawa. The ultimate best decision the anime has made this cour was giving us megane oikawa early. thank you, anime.

I love Oikawa

I'm also super glad they left this flashback in totally unaltered

They're also the kind of block... that gets the last laugh

all my pokemon in alola have hawaiian nicknames except for my litten who is Kuroo. Because there is no better name for the good-guy heel Incinceroar than the genuinely helpful and kind guy with a maybe-unfortunate face and terrible bedhead.

Though that reminds me, Kuroo said he'd probably be able to stop about 1 out of 10 of Ushiwaka's spikes. I wonder what's Tsuki's ratio? Not a rhetorical question, I just have never bothered to go back and count.

Also, lest I forget

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

E-flat posted:

Ahhh, I forgot to post this before today

Hinata commenting that Kageyama and Ushiwaka being similar was really on the point. Not only are both :spergin: in addition to/probably because they are prodigiously skilled, but they both (started out) being personally offended at Hinata's existence. I think Kageyama sums it up best this arc: His serves and receives are terrible, and his set-ups and blocks are varying levels of mediocre. So why do you think he's on the court? Obviously, it's to score points!!!

Hey, Hinata's been doing alright this game. Tsukishima finding his groove seems to have inspired Hinata to really improve his blocks. He even managed to block Ushijima!! (Through a complete fluke but still).

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

god that was amazing

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
That matrix camera pan...

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lotsa tears and hugs this episode.

And man, final points are always amazing but the scene with Ushijima holding Tsukishima and Hinata down to the floor only to be lifted off them by the rest of the team, is one of my favourite parts of the whole show. It was extremely good.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
:unsmith: The volleyboys... they did it. I'm so glad :cry:

god, how long until we get more

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Knorth posted:

:unsmith: The volleyboys... they did it. I'm so glad :cry:

god, how long until we get more

Quite a while I'm afraid.

I'm glad they wrapped it up they way they did. There's one or two things from the magna they missed that I might try to find and post tomorrow. This match took up around a quarter of the manga at the time it finished so there's quite a lot to look through,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Susano-maku da! posted:

That matrix camera pan...

That whole thing was corny even by Haikyu standards but it was still so glorious, they held back for 60 episodes and then just let it rip.

This series just kept getting better, and the way it ended made it clear that they want to do more. It might not come back 2018, but if they do I'm gonna watch the gently caress out of it.

• Locked thread