Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Haikyu!! is a cool as hell sports manga about volleyball with a loving gorgeous Production I.G. anime adaptation. Compared to other sports series it has 30X SHOUTING, 40X BROODING, and 50X FIGHTING SPIRIT. It is a very powerful anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEGHh7wNGKk

Season 2 is about building the team after the events of season 1, gaining EXPERIENCE and CONFIDENCE and a second cute girl manager.

First season and the new episodes are on Crunchyroll!

devtesla fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SyntheticPolygon posted:

With the hype this show was getting in the season thread, I decided to check out the first season to see what the fuss was about. And I am now incredibly angry because who devotes 5 episodes to a single match only to have the team lose at the end!!?

SPORTS ANIME!!!

Description of an infamious episode of the late 1960s adaptaion of the baseball manga Star of the Giants, from Anime: A History by Jonithan Clements. The entire episode consists of one pitch and one hit:

quote:

[The episode] builds the tension on the pitcher’s mound, as the pitcher draws back his arm and throws the ball. Exploiting the potentially infinite camera positions available to animators, the script zooms in and out of multiple perspectives — the inner monologue of the pitcher himself and the calculating throughs of the batter he faces; the commentary of the excitable journalists in the outside-broadcast booth; viewers at home yelling at the television; fans in the bleachers; team members on both sides; the pitchers father and dewey-eyed love interest. Coupled with shots of the arena, sudden zooms and splitscreen effects, flashbacks and voiceovers, the sequence occupies the entire first half of the episode, cutting to the commercial break just as the ball leaves the pitcher’s hand. After the commercials, the episode continues with a similar hyperreal deformation of time, pursuing the ball’s trajectory towards the batter, the bat’s connection with the ball, and the frenzy of action among both teams as the batter hits a homerun.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm used to sports anime and manga giving the team a huge loss their first time around, so I would actually be more surprised if they had won. It's kind of a cliche actually, and that the show was able to turn that loss into some of their best episodes just shows how good this series is.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Everything Burrito posted:

If they didn't lose sometimes how would we have great scenes like them eating with tears pouring down their faces?

That was so good.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sports manga is cool now.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They're gonna adapt a sports manga on MTV, it's that cool.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New manager is so good and adds so much. I want an entire show about Tanaka's sister.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Good mom, good shouting, good episode

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They got a scoreboard right this time. Small victories.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
High quality Hinata gets intimidated in front of the bathroom scene this episode.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

someone avenge me for when i have a massive aneurysm and die because of how bad these subs are

They have worse grammar than I do.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This show keeps coming up with more and more ways for Hinata to get injured by his own stupidity. I fully support this.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
He's a nice old bastard instead.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's an offseason practice episode about the lovely rear end in a top hat character and Haikyu can still give me chills. I love this show.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The tall people house of problems and "when did you become so cool", an good episode.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The best part about the new quick finally working is that it's largely thanks to barbecue.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hinata being meeting someone intimidating on the way to the bathroom is a recurring scene in the series, please discuss the deep symbolism.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yachi's my favourite character. :allears:

How was she only introduced this season? She fits in so perfectly it's like she's always been around.

She's basically an audience insert. She reacts to the team the same way you did when you started the series.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

It's the Circle of Life...

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
NEW TOURNAMENT GET HYPE

So how long do you think the next game is going to take? No major characters in the opponents yet, so my guess is three episodes.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hocus Pocus posted:

The Hinata bathroom confrontation reaches peak form this episode

It was basically Hinata pinball.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Actually it'll probably be an opponent of the week style game, like the banchos and the tall dude, and over in just one episode. Still hype tho.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yamaguchi no :qq:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
AOBA JOSAI GONNA GET THEIR rear end WOOPED

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yamaguchi my child... u did it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't expect it that soon but it's definitely coming.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I guess season three is coming out this year actually huzzah! Excited for more vollyball hell!

devtesla fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 16, 2016

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

nice avatar!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sleepy bus! Tender moments between sensei and coach! Chesty hugs w/ ne-san! The ladies team shows up for a cool moment! Saying "good evening" to the tv for some reason! Late night ball tossin! This episode has something 4 everyone!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I went to tumblr to look for new gifs and instead found vines: 1 2 3.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
two weeks to season 3!!

devtesla fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 29, 2016

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
[spoilers] Current Status. I'll be keeping this updated.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That was super hype! I love how much thought they put into little things like the high fives before going on the field, the Hinata bathroom jokes, and yea the cheer section was nice. It got away with moving so slow by making every moment count. Honestly, it could have been longer.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Updated my dumb chart [spoilers]. I'm proud of Tanaka for his ability to score decisive points!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
"The game's just getting starting"

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A 2-1 lead in the finals is very unlucky in 2016, sorry Shiratorizawa Academy.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Shiratorizawa is the Golden State Warriors and they're gonna blow a 2-1 lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Niiice duuuunk Ste-phen Cur-ry!
(bomp-bomp-bomp) Stephen Curry!
(bomp-bomp-bomp) Stephen Curry!

http://i.imgur.com/qf392pC.gifv

• Locked thread