Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

The music is one of the best things that I didn't notice about S1 until I rewatched it. I'm surprised that S3 has been announced for Autumn though. There really isn't enough manga for another 25 episodes. Maybe they'll do 13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Slugnoid posted:

Does anyone else think that the original little giant will wind up being revealed to be their teacher, Takeda? I just can't see any reason why they keep hiding his face in flashbacks, and their silhouettes look the same.. it could also explain why he's so good at arranging practice matches with skilled teams from across the country so successfully

Well, the little giant played about 3-4 years ago and Takeda is 29 so probably not.

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Slugnoid posted:

Oh well there's that then. When did it say his age or is that in the manga?

It's in the manga. All the characters have at least decent profiles (including maximum spiking height, etc. for some).

I recommend reading the manga.

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Arcanen posted:

I don't know if it's the anime's pacing, or the reality of a 5 set match meaning that Karasuno have to be winning a bunch of sets, but... Shiratorizawa kind of suck?

We have an entire season of this match, and yeah, they just don't seem all that the have been made out to be, and it feels like a big part of that is the editing. Ushiwaka was made out to be an absolute monster, but since (as of halfway through the season) he never really talks or gives as a narrated POV (which is bizarre, since we keep getting them for the rest of Shiratorizawa) I'm not really feeling the impact of that.

Regarding the flashback at the beginning, it's kind of odd. Mainly because it makes Coach Ukai seem like a gigantic rear end in a top hat who completely abandoned Karasuno, only to be paying attention again now that they are winning under the tutelage of someone else. He has his volleyball training center thing, so it's not like he got too old to do the job? I wish we had some context after 3 seasons for why he left.

It's also kind of odd that people are like "Woah, whoa, who are these Karasuno people that are good?!". Wouldn't playing in (winning?) nationals be something that impacted Karasuno's reputation among the characters in this series?

We'll be getting some time with Ushiwaka coming up but he doesn't really have the same kind of motivations as, say, Oikawa. I think a part of why Karasuno are doing so well is that they're actually a good match up for Shiratorizawa, unlike Seijoh or Nekoma who are a bad match up for them. They're both very offensively focused teams.

Ukai the elder left his coaching position because he was ill and spent a year or two in hospital. They talk about this all the time in the first series. He was originally planning to come back but was never really fit enough to make it full time. Ennoshita and co talk about when he came back just for a little while and they quit the club. When Ukai the younger takes Hinata to meet him he asks if he's supposed to be up and moving around since he's just got back out of the hospital. I don't know how you've missed all this.

Also, Karasuno never won nationals. When the Nekoma rivalry comes up they talk about the year both of them made it to nationals and Karasuno got knocked out in the third round and Nekoma got knocked out in the fourth.

Interestingly, it seems that the year Karasuno won the prelims and went to nationals Shiratorizawa lost to a different team before the finals since Karasuno have never beaten them. No idea who. Also, Shiratorizawa have never won nationals under Washijo despite qualifying pretty much twice a year for 20 years.

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Excellent episode, but god that felt weird to watch at times.

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Knorth posted:

:unsmith: The volleyboys... they did it. I'm so glad :cry:

god, how long until we get more

Quite a while I'm afraid.

I'm glad they wrapped it up they way they did. There's one or two things from the magna they missed that I might try to find and post tomorrow. This match took up around a quarter of the manga at the time it finished so there's quite a lot to look through,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Just a few little things from the manga.

The flashback to when Sawamura and the other third years were first years originally happened on the bus back from the Seijoh match. Then we got this classic Kageyama moment.

One of my favourites from just before the end of the second set.

I was a bit disappointed they missed this little bit where Washijo talks about why Kageyama wasn't invited to Shiratorizawa. There was more talking about why Shirabu was starting over Semi earlier in the game. Washijou seems a bit less hard-boiled in the manga.

And there's this, which I've wanted to post for a while but couldn't due to a sneaky little spoiler in it. Surprisingly, Nishinoya does not have the lowest spiking and blocking heights on the team.

• Locked thread